2011 in shop for main seal in transmission - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

2011 in shop for main seal in transmission

Well I just bought a 2011 1LT 2.4 6. Today when I pulled it out of garage there was a pretty good size puddle of transmission fluid on the floor. Took it up to the dealership and they said the main seal is bad. It has 500 miles on it. Has anybody else had this happen? Should I be worried? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-16-2011, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Re: 2011 in shop for main seal in transmission

I wouldn't be too worried since it is being fixed. It may have been a installation error at some point since it started leaking so fast. At least you were able to catch it before any major damage was done. I would just keep an eye on it after the fix in case it was something else that caused the leak.

09' Malibu LTZ with brick leather interior
4 cyl w/6 speed auto
Silver Ice Metallic paint

Mods: PTM bow ties, grill, washer nozzles, and fog light trim
-20% tint
-MTX600XD, 2 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1, 4 gauge stinger wire, Pioneer 7800MP CD player
-5000K HID headlights and 3000K fog lights
-White LED's in the switches and handles
-Blacklight overhead console LED's
-Painted and polished factory aluminum wheels

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 07:00 PM
CMF Rookie Member

YES. This happened to me today! Same make/model. I took it in and they told me it is most likely an issue with the main seal. I bought the car in mid-January and I have put under 3000 miles on it. Can't believe it. What is the deal with this problem?? Does it make sense to fix and keep this car?
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Banned

The problems have been around with even the older generation Malibu’s. My Son has had this problem on his just recently with his 06 Malibu LT along with plugs going! Not saying this is common problem but it is not first or is on just the newer Generations! Hopefully they can fix it quickly and get you back on the road soon!

Good luck!
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Well the dealership has had my car longer than I've owned it. I had the car for 6 days and they've had it for 7. They replaced the main seal took it for a drive and it was still leaking. They called GM and they said there were some bad housings that made it through that had some coarse metal not allowing a good seal. So they pulled the transmission back out to give GM the numbers and GM said that the numbers didnt match up to one of the bad ones that made it through production. So now GM told the dealership to split the case and see what was going on. Well they found a missing o-ring does this sound right?? PLEASE HELP
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear2010 View Post
Well the dealership has had my car longer than I've owned it. I had the car for 6 days and they've had it for 7. They replaced the main seal took it for a drive and it was still leaking. They called GM and they said there were some bad housings that made it through that had some coarse metal not allowing a good seal. So they pulled the transmission back out to give GM the numbers and GM said that the numbers didnt match up to one of the bad ones that made it through production. So now GM told the dealership to split the case and see what was going on. Well they found a missing o-ring does this sound right?? PLEASE HELP

Sorry to hear that! It is very depressing and concerns me when I hear so many issues with these cars especially coming right off the Dealership lots! I have also had issues with my Transmission leaking but it was not the Rear Main Seal! It was related to the Converter Housing Seal! The Point that am getting to is after inspecting it my Tech had noticed the entire Housing was so pitted, they had to order an entire new housing because no matter what seal they could have used was not going to correct it! My car only had around 14,000 miles on it at the time but had started to notice spots on the drive at a lot earlier miles. My kids had owned some older cars and thought it was theirs and could not possibly be mine since it was New/Newer! I really wish you luck and hope for the best for you! Many don’t understand the frustration until a problem strikes them!

Again, Good Luck!

PS. There are a couple of guys here on the site that can give you some Technical Help/answer some questions you may have! They have been great members here on the site!

Last edited by 08chevymalibultz; 02-24-2011 at 09:45 AM.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 11:16 AM
CMF Rookie Member

So, the dealership is sticking to the, "that's what the warranty is for" line. This is turning into a total disaster. The car has been in the shop 3 days now. No complete diagnosis, just that they think it might be the main seal. I don't want this car - and the dealership is acting like I am crazy?!?! Not even 3000 miles, I just made my first payment while my new car is currently disassembled in the shop. Is it nuts to think they should get me a new car to replace this one? I would think they would rather a satisfied, repeat customer, rather than forcing me to pursue Lemon law which will make nobody happy. This is my second Malibu from this dealership - what chance do I have for a replacement? Do you have any recommendations for other avenues to pursue?
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

That is the same bullsh!t my dealership is telling me. I am also telling them i want a brand new one. It only has 500 miles on it.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 02:27 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear2010 View Post
That is the same bullsh!t my dealership is telling me. I am also telling them i want a brand new one. It only has 500 miles on it.

If you don't mind my asking, what state are you in?
I am in MA and I am trying to hold my ground as they are beginning to be more and more dismissive. The dealership is acting like I had a flat tire, yet they have not given a full diagnosis. Its beginning to take an ugly turn. please keep me posted as your situation unfolds.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

I live in IN. I just received a call from the dealership and now its a pump. So its went from a main seal to a new transmission to a o-ring and now a bad pump. I am so pissed its sickning. I to am pursing a new car. They are also treating it like no big deal like a flat tire or something. I understand that they are giving me a loaner and trying to fix the problem but its also a brand new car I shouldnt have to worry about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.