Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cranks but won't start

28K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  super1956 
#1 ·
2011 malibu lt 2.4l 149,000 miles on it. Problems started with p0011 and p0014. now I have p0011 and p0016. I have replace both camshaft position sensors, intake and exhaust timing solenoids, and replace plugs. I have verified fuel to the engine, and tested the coils for spark. engine still turns over, but is not even trying to start. I drove it until last night without issue, this morning it wouldnt start. Only thing left to replace that I can think of is the crankshaft sensor... Anyone have any suggestions or experience?

#4 ·
Worst case, the cam shaft chain has broken or jumped teeth resulting in engine damage and no compression in the cylinders. You could borrow a compression tester to test compression. Firmly holding the rounded end of a screw driver handle down into the spark plug holes while someone cranks the engine should give you enough indication.

Best case, you have a loose or broken wire some where. Check the wires/plugs to all sensors around the engine including the crankshaft sensor. Remove the crankshaft sensor and look at it for damage.

Because you say the engine ran fine one day and the next it simply would not start, I would lean towards the problem being electrical. There are several videos on youtube to help trouble shoot a crank position sensor. Here is one

#5 ·
Thanks for the assistance. I've looked at the wiring and everything appears fine. I'm going to replace the crankshaft sensor today since it's not that expensive. It does look like I've been leaking oil around my oil filter cap and that has coated the crankshaft sensor pretty well, guess that's getting fixed today too...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.