09 With water leak after rain... - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

09 With water leak after rain...

It has been raining hear on and off for the past 2 weeks. My Malibu has been sitting outside for the last 2 days in the rain. Today I went to get out my daughters car seat and noticed water in the drivers side rear floor board. I noticed what looked like water coming out of the bottom of the door when I openend it. I sucked the water up with a shop Vac and pulled the carpet back. The padding under the carpet was wet as well. So, I took the door panel off and the inside of the panel was wet and so was the inside of the door. It almost seems like the door filled up with water and it couldnt drain out the holes in the bottom of the door. Anyone else seen this...?

-2009 Malibu 1LT Black Granite Metallic 2.4 6 speed, 30,000
-2002 Cavalier, 170,000 Miles
-1994 Full Size Blazer, 190,000 Miles
-1999 Hugger Orange SS Camaro 1 of 375 made, 25,000 Miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-03-2011, 10:38 PM
CMF Junior Member

Re: 09 With water leak after rain...

sounds like the door either wasn't closed very good or a bad seal. I've also seen sunroofs do this although the problem would be located in a different area.

My guess is a bad seal. I'd have someone run the garden hose over the top and middle of the door while your sitting in it to see if you can see it first hand. I think a not so very good seal around the door or window is my guess.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexelby View Post
sounds like the door either wasn't closed very good or a bad seal. I've also seen sunroofs do this although the problem would be located in a different area.

My guess is a bad seal. I'd have someone run the garden hose over the top and middle of the door while your sitting in it to see if you can see it first hand. I think a not so very good seal around the door or window is my guess.
I tryed to run the hose over the side of the car with the door just half latched and the water ran in on the seat. When I originally opened the door the seat was dry so I am pretty sure the door was closed all the way. And I check the window and it was up all the way.

My wife sat in the car while I hosed it down and she said she could not see anything but she could hear some water dripping somewhere. The sunroof drains shoudl not be clogged, the car is usually always in the garage and never sits under trees. This was the longest time it ever sat out in the rain. It has an appointment at the dealer on Monday for this and the rattle in the front end.

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 09:42 AM
Chevy Representatives

I am glad to see that you are planning to address this concern with your local dealership. Please feel free to keep me updated regarding the concern. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

The car is back at the dealership this morning, for the same issue. I took it to a dealership closer to my house.

http://www.franklinfamilychevrolet.com/

We are working with Nick in the service department. It rained last night and the back driverís side floor filled with water again. This is the second time this has happened. We took it in to Bachman Chevrolet the first time and they supposedly fixed it.

post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Chevy Representatives

96lt4c4,

Thank you for sharing you most current information on your situation. If you wouldn't mind providing me with an update of the outcome from taking it to the new dealership, I would greatly appreciate it.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 05-23-2011, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Garage
Exclamation Re: 09 With water leak after rain...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96lt4c4 View Post
The car is back at the dealership this morning, for the same issue. I took it to a dealership closer to my house.

http://www.franklinfamilychevrolet.com/

We are working with Nick in the service department. It rained last night and the back driverís side floor filled with water again. This is the second time this has happened. We took it in to Bachman Chevrolet the first time and they supposedly fixed it.
That's kinda scarey! I bought mine at Bachman!

Post up what they find and what it takes to fix it, please. It might apply to others as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-02-2011, 09:50 PM
CMF Junior Member

Just to add another story - I hope this helps someone!

My 2010 LTZ V6 has had RECURRING leaking from the sunroof region - All of the drain plugs and lines have been cleaned/replaced/reseated/sealed numerous times. The entire water drainage system has been replaced in the 4 visits to the dealer for this. I've even taken it to 3 different dealers in those 4 attempts to see if another dealer could find something new.

I just got it back today from the 4th repair where the entire "drip tray" was replaced under the sunroof. Unfortunately, the headliner is starting to sit loose from all of he removal and re-attachment, so the dealer has to order new clips to re-mount the liner, and I'm hoping that this time, we're all set. Besides the finishing work, this should be the end. I'll continue to post here with updates.

Current Rides:
2011 Toyota Camry SE 3.5VVT, Sunroof, JBL Prem. Audio, Navi
2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L 3.5L, Sunroof, Prem. Audio, DVD Ent. Package (Kid Hauler)

Past Vehicles:
2011 Chevy Malibu LTZ - Couldn't stop leakin' and shakin'
2008 Chevy Equinox LTZ
2008 Suzuki XL7 Limited
2005 Pontiac G6 GT
2004 Buick Rainier CXL
2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS2
2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS2 (RIP)
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 06:15 AM
Administrator

Garage

There's another thread about leaks where the guy says they discovered that the body seam along the roof was not properly sealed at the factory and it allowed water in. It would make its way along the seam, through a hole, and then come out where it could. Sometimes it was above the mirror, other times the floor.

Leak Link

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

Last edited by DrivenDaily; 09-03-2011 at 06:19 AM.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 12-25-2011, 11:48 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Post Re: 09 With water leak after rain...

I am currently having the same issue with my 2009 Chevy Malibu LTZ. I had the recall work done to it and it still leaking. Of course I just PCS'd to Hawaii in the middle of their rain season. I have tried parking the car at different angles and what not and still get water leaking through the A pillars on both side of the car. The weird thing is that it only does it when it is raining. I have gone through car washes and the car does not leak. I was wondering if you ever found out what was leaking and why. My Warranty on the body ran out while I was out of country. So any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.