yes I believe this is a common issue, not unique to my case.
It is not hard. But it needs some patience and care. After took it out three times, I become familiar with the procedure and did it in a matter of 10 minutes or less to get the lamp out. But the first time, it took me more than 2 hours.
The PITA for me was disconnecting the wiring connector to take out the whole Rear Trim Panel. That took me more than 30 minutes because the connector was stuck very badly. I have a weak hand, and had to operate in a small space.
Here is the link to the procedure
NOTE: To avoid draining down the battery (as i did), turn off the Dom light or disconnect the battery.
Here is the high level of the steps
1. Remove the Rear Seat Cushion: just grasp the bottom and pull it up. Take it out of the car. (Page 4 of the PDF)
2. Fold the Rear Back Seat Cushion down. You might want to put some clothes between the cushion and the Seat frame, to avoid getting the seat back cushion dirty when it was folded down. It bears your weight because you have to seat on it to work.
NOTE: there is no need to take out the Back Seat Cushion. Just fold them down.
3. Remove the Left and Right Rear Corner upper Garnish Molding: Pull outward from the top, then pull its front side upward, and slide it forward to get it out. There is a rubber to hold it, called “tether”. Just unlock that “tether” to take it out. (Page 1 of PDF)
5. Unscrew the Rear Seat Back bolt: 4 of them. (Page 2 of PDF)
6. Pull out the metal bar the above 4 screws hold, to access the two plastic retainer that that hold the Rear Windows Shelf Trim Panel. These retainer are at the lower left and right corner. (Page 5 of the PDF). Just use a Flat head screw driver to pry them out.
7. The Lower left and Lower right corner of the Trim panel are locked by a plastic molding tab. Pull that Tab out, then lift up the corner of Rear trim panel to unlock it. This is the tricky step.
8. Disconnecting the wiring connector to the lamp. The connector is located driver side. Lift up the Trim panel driver side, you will see it. You need to pry up the lock tab with a small screw driver when pulling out the connector. This is a step took me 30 minutes because the connector was stuck very hard.
9. Slide the Seat Belt thru the gap of the trim panel, to unattach it from the panel (Page 5 of PDF)
10. After that, you will be able to take the Rear Trim Panel out. Just lift it up and move it forward. (Page 6 of the PDF)
11. There are three screw to hold the lamp to the Trim Panel. Remove these 3 screws the lamp will come out. (Page 6 of the PDF)
When I have a chance I will post some pictures that I took.Good luck