Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2011 Loud Engine Noise, Idle Related?

9K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AustinG 
#1 ·
My 2011 V6 Malibu has been nearly trouble free so I decided to keep it for my new teen driver. Of course it is now acting up! I couldn't duplicate what her and my wife were telling me but today finally could. Most of the time the car is fine but then a VERY loud noise comes on. It sounds to me like it is near the front of the engine bay.

I've gotten it three times now. Once in line at a drive through (can't remember if in park or gear when it started but happened in both), Once when I did remote start and once after a 15 minute test drive with no problems I parked it and then had to move it a couple minutes later and it started screaming.

It doesn't seem related to the air conditioning and not 100% related to idling but it seems to mostly be then. My wife said it came on while driving but I haven't gotten that and it even stopped after I left the drive through.

Thanks for any advise. I did a search and found similar but not exactly this, if there is already a thread please point me to it. I have a video of it but don't see where I can upload videos, just pictures.

#2 ·
It kinda sounds like you're describing an idler pulley or possibly the water pump, or some other pulley. I hope it's easy and cheap!

#3 ·
Basically removing the belt and spinning all the pulleys to see if all are quiet and wobble free would be my first step.
That includes water pump, A/C clutch pulley along with the idlers and alternator.
Any noise or wobble will the indicator of a bad bearing.

#4 ·
Thanks for the fast responses! I'll dig into that this weekend, looks like getting to the belt and accessories will be lots of fun. That said, once I get it down to a likely suspect I'll change that one and the belt (car has 80K and I plan to keep it years with teen drivers coming up). Are there any of the items above that are notorious for failing around 100K that I may as well go ahead and change while it's apart?

#5 ·
Well, tore into it today and it isn't any of what we thought. One of the electric fans is hitting the radiator.

Does anyone know how to get the fans out? I've gotten to them but there appears to be a tab on each side holding it onto the radiator that I cannot get loose. So close!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.