Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2010 Chevy Malibu - Transmission died today for 2nd TIME

34K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Bree 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum and found it while I was researching this service issue and determine if others have had transmission issues as well. I bought this car in April 2010 and had the transmission fail in June 2011 with 30K miles on it. Yes, I use it heavily yet it is all highway miles for work. That fact should not have caused this problem either (I had an Acura that I racked 280K miles on and NEVER had a transmission issue.) Anyway, TODAY, not six months after the inital repair, the transmission died (car revved to 120 RPMs and did not move more than 5 miles per hour; also could not go in reverse at all) while I was on the road for a SECOND time!!!

I am livid!!! I don't feel safe in the car and HATE driving it!!! I don'twant to even put my family in it for fear we will be on the side of the road. After I had it towed it to the dealer, I was informed the bumper to bumper is NO longer in effect (@ 42K miles) and I said the initial repair should be under warranty - I don't car what they do I am not paying for it! and I am waiting word on what the actual cause was...

This is my first American car purchase and I am truly dismayed and I intend to let GM know about it. There is no suitable reason why the transmission on this car should fail within 18 months of ownership!!!!!!!!!

See less See more
#4 ·
The service department is correct: B2B is no longer in effect. But they may have been nitpicking at words. Like Envoy and Fan say, Drivetrain is still in effect. Something IS fishy here! Start taking notes on who says what, and when it was said. Document, document, document.

#5 ·
Like Envoy and Fan say, Drivetrain is still in effect.
Seems like I remember that my '11 gets ONLY 3/36 BTB from GM and anything after that is 3rd party and optional.

My salesman was careful to mention several times that this dealership was providing that additional powertrain coverage to me at no cost. When I got the policy description in the mail, I could see why. It is virtually worthless and is full of legal holes and escape clauses.

#7 ·
Guys

Lets not get confused here. I just went over this . Now GM calls the original 3/36 the "factory warranty" -- where everything is covered every little nut bolt light etc. Now a bumper to bumper warranty or extended warranty -- does not cover everything -- any wearable item like brakes hoses belts are not covered.

In your case-- the transmission is covered under the 5yr/ 100,000 mile power train warranty. Not to mention if you did not have it, the original repair should be covered for one year.

Guys remember the warranty that came with your car is refered to the "factory Warranty" and bumper to bumper warranty is NOT the same.

#9 ·
I am new to this forum and found it while I was researching this service issue and determine if others have had transmission issues as well. I bought this car in April 2010 and had the transmission fail in June 2011 with 30K miles on it. Yes, I use it heavily yet it is all highway miles for work. That fact should not have caused this problem either (I had an Acura that I racked 280K miles on and NEVER had a transmission issue.) Anyway, TODAY, not six months after the inital repair, the transmission died (car revved to 120 RPMs and did not move more than 5 miles per hour; also could not go in reverse at all) while I was on the road for a SECOND time!!!

I am livid!!! I don't feel safe in the car and HATE driving it!!! I don'twant to even put my family in it for fear we will be on the side of the road. After I had it towed it to the dealer, I was informed the bumper to bumper is NO longer in effect (@ 42K miles) and I said the initial repair should be under warranty - I don't car what they do I am not paying for it! and I am waiting word on what the actual cause was...

This is my first American car purchase and I am truly dismayed and I intend to let GM know about it. There is no suitable reason why the transmission on this car should fail within 18 months of ownership!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

And that is why, though I sure can understand your frustration and anger), you will get the transmission repaired.

One thing to remember above & beyond all of the warranties & mumbo-jumbo is that there is a legal concept called 'reasonable expectation of use' (I hope I have that right). Unless it can be proven that you absolutely absused the vehicle, it certainly would be a reasonable expectation that you could drive the vehicle normally for well over 42k miles without the tranny going out twice. This is within the 'implied warranty' world, and laws differ on this from state to state.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves. I agree with the folks here that your car repairs should be covered by the 5 year/100k warranty. In addition, if the initial repair was performed incorrectly, that alone should cover the second repair since it was within a year, or whatever warranty limits they put on the repair.

So, bite the bullet, take a deep breath, and get the facts on the cause of failure, and if anyone at the shop says anything other than 'we'll cover it', scream loud and clear from the GM at the dealership to GM Customer Service to your local government's consumer fraud unit. Personally, based upon what you've said, I think you'll be OK.

One more thing: Michelle from Chevrolet Ciustomer Service frequents this forum, and she has been helpful on service issues. If you run into problems getting this resolved, you may want to talk with her offline for her take on your service issue.

Good luck, and let us know what happens.

#12 ·
Thank you all for your input. The dealer called and stated the powertrain would cover the repair and they are covering the cost of the rental that I got yesterday. I am concerned though because the value of my car on resale is impaired with a car that has transmission issues. As a second transmission repair, I fear I have a lemon...I have lost use of the vehicle repatedly (I did not include repeated issues with the service air bag light which the dealer can not seem to repair 3 times now) and will be contacting GM as a result.

Again, thanks ALL for your help.

NikHint

#16 ·
Are they repairing or replacing? If replacing you shouldn't have a resale issue. When contacting GM don't blow your top. Just present the facts and what you would consider just compensation for your trouble. I always find it is best to start by writing a letter to the head man. In this case the CEO. He won't address it himself but will assign it as an action item for lower management. Did this almost 30 years ago with a GM car I had trouble with. Got complete satisfaction and substantial discount on a new car purchase which I used two years later.

By the way GM just treated me very well in a situation where the motor on my Corvette dropped a valve while on a race track. Although the powertrain warranty had not expired the failure did occur under questionable circumstances which could have invalidated the warranty. The manifold pressure code showed the speed and rpm when the code was set were 113mph and 2600 rpm so it was obvious I had been going somewhat faster with much higher engine rpms when the valve dropped into the cylinder. The GM rep authorized a Goodwill Replacement of a $14K engine. Not sure what the total bill was but it took a week on the service rack to complete the job once the parts were in. Not many automakers that will stand behind their product like that.

Bill

#15 ·
Yes, I know. I never implied it was anything else. In his first post, the OP mentioned that the car is a 2010, so the 5 year part couldn't possibly be an issue yet. I was just pointing out that unless he was over 100k, he is still covered. As you said, the powertrain warranty won't run out until the 5 year mark or 100k/miles, whichever comes first. I'm betting on 100k, in his case, especially since he's already got so many miles on it. :p

#18 ·
So if I read right the sealed wheel bearings are no longer covered, but the crankshaft pulley is.

Hmmm.......

#19 ·
Wow. Considering that I've had my wheel bearings replaced on the driver's side, I'm glad I've got a 2008. :p

I probably should've read my powertrain warranty closer before now. Most of the things that they aren't covering as of 2010 I wouldn't have assumed were covered anyway. I'm pleasantly surprised by how comprehensive the powertrain coverage is, even post 2010 changes.

#20 ·
Update from dealership - they said it was the front axel...I question this because I know the front axel connects to the transmission and holds the oil in. I complained for 3 months about an oil leak and suspect all the oil finally leaked out. There is no doubt these failures shorten the life of my transmission...

The dealership is still working on it and I am writing my letter to GM. They should be willing to replace this faulty product. I feel like I was tricked by the $4500 rebate incentive to purchase the car and now have a lemon on my hands. At a minimum they should extend my power train warranty. Additionally, I want my $158 tow fee reimbursed!

#26 ·
My transmission died last Wednesday. 58,000 miles on it. Wouldn't go into any gear. Got stuck and had it towed to the dealer on Friday December 1st 2013. They haven't looked at it yet. Seem to be dragging their feet because they know they have a transmission issue going on with these cars. Will call again tomorrow and raise some hell because I am carless. At least diagnose the problem so I can get a loaner car.

#28 ·
You have 5/100 Powertrain coverage. What year is yours?

#29 ·
If it's any consolation to you, it's not just you... The modern Malibu is notorious for bad trannys. Especially the Gen 5's and 6's. 90K miles is usually the benchmark for failure. My '07 SS fortunately had the manual option, so I was able to buy a little extra time. (Rebuilt @ 112K) if I pulled it back in to "M" and did the first 2 shifts by hand, I could then go to "D" and be fine as long as I was able to stay above 20 MPH. Then it's back to manual mode....
I asked my local dealer "With so many of these thing failing at such low mileage, why didn't GM issue a recall" They told me the only recall for safety issues and this was not a safety issue. "Not a safety issue?!?! Mine failed in the middle of Maple and Adair!!!!" (the busiest intersection in town, with lots of wrecks for those not from here) "Sorry mam, it's still not a safety issue" was all he'd say.
Also, did you go to an independent shop or the dealership for your rebuild? You don't want that hing put back together with original parts, as they will fail just the same... The shop I took mine to used an aftermarket rebuild kit. He said the aftermarket companies researched the failures common to these trannys and upgraded the failing parts. We were also told the same thing by a different independent shop when the tranny in our '05 Buick LaCrosse failed @ 130K earlier this year... (Didn't go back to the first shop (J&D) because the one I took my car to was a few pennies cheaper, and offered free towing IF we gave them the job. (AAMCO franchise, not an O&O))

PS, I haven't even been on this forum a full week yet, and this is like the 3rd or 4th time I've posted this same/similar reply! (2nd today alone)

#30 ·
My 2011 LT left my wife alongside a two-lane road in the pitch black when it was six months old and had 8,269 miles. It wouldn't go forward. Chevrolet rebuilt, not replaced the trans. After that, I was never happy with the shifting--seemed to be in suspended animation between 2-3, although didn't rev higher during this, plus the shift lever was looser/lighter to move than before.

Reading so many Malibu transmission horror stories, I had the fluid drained and refilled at 58K (50K after the dealer rebuild), and again just yesterday at 85.6K miles. I'm against trans flushing due to personal experience on an earlier vehicle, plus everything I read online. I'm trying to nip future problems in the bud, but who knows?

I bought a '17 Cruze a couple months ago and love it so far, although reading things about new Malibu engine issues has me sweating the Cruze...both are turbos. I can feel the shifting in the Cruze, which I like. The Malibu seems to just lazily slide and shift between gears, even when pretty new.

I have owned 14 new Chevrolets--no other kind--since 1981. But sometimes. I wonder if I should be so loyal. Some of the issues they admit they have are downright ridiculous and didn't even happen in the '70's, yet today.

BTW, the trans fluid drain and refill cost me $99.53 out the door at my dealer. I thought that was OK.

#32 ·
I have owned 14 new Chevrolets--no other kind--since 1981. But sometimes. I wonder if I should be so loyal. Some of the issues they admit they have are downright ridiculous and didn't even happen in the '70's, yet today..
Normally I bleed Ford blue... Still do actually. I was on a local TV news crew for most of my adult life. I've seen just about everything on the road wrecked, which is one reason for my loyalty to Ford. Also, as a shade-tree mechanic, Fords are pretty easy to work on. Chevy is however a close second. My main beef with GM is that when you need to work on them you have to remove 50 plastic covers to get to what you need! :eek:
On the other side of the coin, both as someone who's been to many a crash scene, and as a shade tree mech,,, stay away from Mopar!!!

#31 ·
4yr old posts?
My '09 is at 162k miles, original tranny. Fluid changes every 50k miles. I personally do pan drops, no flushes or mutant kids working on my cars.
I will stick to non turbo cars myself. Tiny motor on the boost all the time means expensive parts failures down the road. I like to get 200k out of my cars without major issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.