Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

New TPMS Sensors Installed - Problem with 1. BCU Problem? Sensor Problem?

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  repairman54 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all. Please forgive my novice language here. I'll try to keep the story as brief as possible.

After putting on Pontiac G6 rims on my Malibu, I've had issues with the TPMS. I finally bought four new TPMS sensors off the good ol e-b-a-y. (13586335 13581558 NEW GM TPMS TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM SENSOR)

Took them to my local shop to have them put them in. After changing all of them out, they said they couldn't get the left front sensor to be recognized. They did the FOB unlock/lock technique (set the car in learn mode) and were using their hand held programming machine that they put up next to each tire to make it be recognized. It would not register for the first sensor (Front Driver); however all others worked. They then said that the sensor was reading correctly and registering on their hand held device, but my car would not recognize it.

The mechanic then got another but larger hand held machine that he plugged into my cars plug outlet under the steering column to try and read any codes. I'm unsure of what he did, but he said that he cleared out the TPMS info and it would still not recognize the sensor.... since he did this, he said the BCU may need to be flashed with new firmware or be replaced all together since it's not reading the one sensor and his other hand held machine was reading the sensor.

I left the shop, furious, and decided to give it another try myself. I took my car to the gas station down the street to the air pump. Put my car in learn mode with the FOB, then proceeded to let air out of each tire until recognized. Sure enough- yay it worked! It recognized all sensors by using the air release method. COOL.

I thought I saved the day- the tire pressure light went out and I had a PSI reading on ALL tires on the DIC.

Now I'm facing the problem of the front driver's side sensor (same one that gave the shop problems) going out while driving. It usually happens on distance drives. When I start the car up each time, the tire pressure light is off and my car reads all PSI. It then goes out after I've been driving a few miles (I'd say 5-10 miles) and I get the ----- LF on the DIC as well as the error on the DIC to service tire pressure sensor. Funny part is, I was on a road trip this weekend and the sensor came back on (read the PSI) but the air pressure light was on. If I turned my car off/on, it would clear the air pressure light out and repeat this process of going out after some distance driving.

So, in an effort to avoid the dealership at all costs, I was wondering if any of you guys could unofficially diagnose this problem? Perhaps it's just a bad sensor? Would I need to have my BCU replaced / re-flashed?

Ugh.

Thanks for reading! Any help would be appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
It probably came with a defective battery/unit. I would buy one more (Locally), get it installed by the same guys and see. If it's bad, return it. I can't believe they are selling these things to us that need replacement after the batteries get old by the way. I just read on the Corvette forum how some folks are taking theirs apart and soldering the clips with new $3.68 batteries. Add the tire work and this is very expensive unnecessary maintenance to inflict upon us...CPS

#3 ·
Flea Buy sold you some TPMS sensors and 1 is bad or has a dead/dying battery. If you had bought them from GM I could understand being miffed about the quality, but since you didn't you ended up with questionable components. That's the risk anyone takes buying from JoeSmithLargeGorillaTireStore. Who knows, you might be able to ask for a warranty replacement from the original seller and they might just make you happy. Have you asked?

To aid you with being, as you mention, a novice, the plug under the dash is the OBD-II port. That stands for On-Board Diagnostics, 2nd generation. It's where they plug in their computer to communicate with the car's computer. No shame in not knowing or being new to technology.

#5 ·
Stay away from the other brand X sensors, they do not last as long as OEM or OEM supplier ones. Especially Standard or Dorman, been there, done that.

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice John. Hopefully the OP reports back on his findings. :) If able, let me know how you like the 16 Equinox LTZ - We are thinking about replacing our 2011 (4 cyl LT) but only if the new cars are solid....CPS

#7 · (Edited)
The 'nox has been good so far. 16k miles on it. It's the wifes vehicle and she's happy. 3.6 AWD has as much snot as her old '07 4.6 mustang GT at 300 hp .
We test drove the 4 banger AWD and with the a/c on it was a real dog, made my 2.4 '09 Malibu feel like a 'vette. Maybe the 4 is ok in a FWD but in the AWD forget it, floor it and watch the speedo do a snail climb. Not good for pulling out or merging IMO. The 6 is thirstier, she' averaging about 22-23 mpg in a more out of town mix of driving but I'll take a few mpg loss over the power loss of the 4. Less mpg is to be expected in the AWD but 3.6 pull out and passing power is excellent.
Zero issues so far (knocking on wood)

Reactions: cartire98
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.