Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remote start issue.

24K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  wagbren1963 
#1 ·
Where do I even begin.....my remote start worked fine for about 6 months, now when I press the lock button and then hold the start button, all I'm getting is one flash of the lights. I have done a bunch of research and have found that many owners experience the same issue and solved it by replacing the hood latch or creating a closed circuit to show the hood is closed, however, I tried this and got the same results, so that marks that one out. My battery was just replaced. All other buttons on my key fob work fine and I also replaced the fob battery about a week ago. My coolant and oil levels are good. The car is NOT in valet mode. The only thing I have yet to do is take it to the dealer and have it hooked up to a reader. I am not one to throw out hundreds of dollars for something I can fix at home but I'm currently out of options. I have a few years left to pay on this vehicle and I would like to enjoy it! Any help is appreciated. Also, it should be noted that when I bought this car I had multiple issues with losing my running lights randomly from fuses being blown. After 3 trips to the dealership they told me it was a wire under the seat the was grounding out causing the issue. This was in July of 2014. I tried the remote start that winter and have experienced the issues above ever since. Im wondering if they messed something up going through all the wiring looking for that issue. I'm completely clueless.

#2 · (Edited)
I've been through this to some degree before. One thing I learned from this forum is that RS (aka RKS, remote keyless start) will either start the car or decline to start it. If it received the start signal, which yours confirmed with a flash of the lights, and declines to start it, there are 2 places that it can store an exception code, the ECM or the BCM. If I recall correctly, the ECM stores only the most recent code and the BCM stores a list of the most recent 8 codes. Neither one of them stores a date or time, just the code(s).

So, if the other key was in the ignition and you tried to RS, it'll refuse to start and store that code in the BCM. If there are already 8 there, it'll delete the oldest and add the new one.

If there is a CEL/MIL code, the ECM will delete the exception code and store the new one.

A dealer will need to hook it up and read those 2 lists. Be careful, though! My former vehicle, another 2011 that I lost to a flood in 2013, was having an intermittent issue with no RS starting. The dealer I bought it from insisted that there were no lists in the car, and further, when I tried to participate in the conversation and told them that another certified tech ( @Rodents near Philly ) was able to provide proof. They told me, and these are the tech's words, "I'm certified and I know how this car works." After calling Rodents with the service manager in the car, Rodents was going off of memory and not actually looking at a computer screen, and the service manager was sitting there acting like he was listening but it was obvious he did not believe that Rodents was a tech or that I knew anything about the subject. After being poo-pooed I left there with no solution and called GM customer service. I was later referred to a different dealer. While they, too, were not aware of the those 2 lists, they were willing to listen and learn. I showed them the screen shots that Rodents supplied (I think I still have them somewhere...) and they followed the path to those lists and found them. We ended up with a BTSI code (brake-transmission shift interlock, aka neutral safety switch), but as it happened, I lost the car to that flood and the hunt for the issue ended.

My current 2011 starts every time I use the RS.

Start with asking your dealer if they know about those 2 lists. Trust me, they are there! If they refuse to accept that particular truth, find another if they are not willing to listen and learn.

BTW, you don't mention what year, engine, or trim level you have. You can include that with every post if you edit your avatar or add a signature. Since you posted in the Gen7 section I'm assuming that it's a 2008-2012.

#4 ·
After taking the vehicle to the dealership and diagnosed, he told me that there was a code that came up in the BCM. He didn't tell me exactly what the code was due to being in a rush because they were busy and he didn't charge me, but he said it's a bad circuit between the brake pedal and the shifter. I have an appointment set up a couple weeks out to fix this issue hopefully. Does anyone know which code he may be talking about?

#5 ·
OK, after your appointment (hopefully rectifies the situation) please post a very detailed account once the dust settles. This is interesting and would love to do it myself it the problem occurs to me. Strangely, the day my 09 Bu died, I remember it wouldn't start remotely...:serious:CPS

#6 ·
Probably a BTSI like mine was. It's possible that the BPP (brake pedal position) sensor is flaky or the shifter itself has a flaky switch. When you and they have time and a dime (hey, that rhymes!) you should learn more and maybe even be able to fix it on that trip.

+1 on keeping us posted, please!

#7 ·
By chance is your check engine light on???
I have a 2012 Chevy Malibu 1LT and right now my check engine light is on and the remote start won't work when the check engine light is on. I have a P0014 error code which is my exhaust camshaft position (CMP) system performance. I am taking it into the dealership to have this sensor replaced and hoping once this is done and the error code gone that my remote start will once again work.

#8 ·
Nope no CEL. The tech was at a loss for words because we ran through every possible cause for the lights to flash but the car not start. Hood switch is good, valet mode is off, no CEL, battery power is good, key fob is getting good connection and fob battery is brand new, all doors are locking from fob, no codes in the ECM but one code in the BCM. Hoping they can get it figured out.

#9 · (Edited)
Weird. I hope they figured out what the problem is with your auto start. I took my car in for the check engine light which has a code of P0014. The exhaust camshaft actuator failed and they replaced it under warranty. My auto start now works since the check engine light is off. However 8 days later the check engine light came back on so its back to the dealership again. I went to Auto zone tonight and the P0014 code is back and the auto start doesn't work once again. I also noticed this morning that my rear defroster isn't working either. I am beginning to regret buying my 2012 Malibu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.