2.4L Idle shake/diesel sound - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

2.4L Idle shake/diesel sound

Looking for some help here, I wasn't able to find much in a search, so here goes. My wife has a 08 Malibu with a 2.4L. Recently the motor has sounded a lot like a diesel while at idle. We noticed that it start to happen after the motor/oil is warm. The other day while pulling into a parking lot and just coasting to find a parking spot, it started to shake and stalled. I have noticed there is some oil consumption, no leaks appearing under the car. We took the car to the dealer just to waste money and time, they stated the car is fine and if the plugs have not been replaced to do so. I question what they diagnosed since checking plugs is a simple task and I did replace them a few months ago. Their other explanation is there is an exhaust leak at the flex pipe.

Any ideas or experience with this? I'm hoping I can avoid spending a pile of money chasing down hunches by the dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 04:21 AM
CMF Senior Member

Garage
Re: 2.4L Idle shake/diesel sound

Just because plugs were replaced doesn't mean one was bad. Codes will tell which one.
Knowing what if any codes stored in PCM and being able to read them is critical to any repair in todays cars.

John
"some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"
09 Malibu LS
11 Tahoe LTZ
16 Equinox LTZ 3.6
01 FLHR
Ski Doo's & Sea Doo
02 Malibu traded
67 Malibu sold
64 Malibu sold
07 Mustang GT 3 pedals sold
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

well we replaced the plugs again, no codes stored or came up in the last 2 days. at the exhaust shop they found a leak at the flange in front of the second cat, fixed that.

in 2 days it came back again tonight, stalling the car twice when the car came to a stop in a parking lot. it seems to only happen after the car has been driven for 30 min or so, which usually includes highway for our usage. the car will have a knocking sound at idle. if you shut the car down and restart it, it starts up and sounds find like nothing happened

i have a video i'll try to add to the post when it shows up on photobucket

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

finally got the clip to upload

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.