Why is my car jerking and shutting off while slowing down? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Why is my car jerking and shutting off while slowing down?

I have a 2008 Chevy Malibu Ls with 60k miles on it. I noticed last week that it starting jerking a little while accelerating and kind of sluggish. Yesterday it started jerking while i slowed down at a stop sign. At another stop sign it jerked harder and the engine shut off. The car cranks back up like nothing is wrong. I noticed it only shuts off if it jerks real hard. I got the car used 5 months ago so I dont really know what kind of maintainence was done on it..

Also, I added some STP gas treatment with a full tank of Exxon gas, the car hasnt stalled since but still jerks quite a bit when accelerating and when making stops..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Re: Why is my car jerking and shutting off while slowing down?

Also let me add that I took the car to Auto Zone to get any codes read but since theres no check engine light..no codes!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 09:34 PM
ASE Certified Technician

Which engine?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

2.4 cylinder
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2012, 10:42 PM
ASE Certified Technician

Did you pull any spark plugs out? Maybe a carbon tracked plug, cracked plug, bad coil.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

I haven't checked the spark plugs,.I found a video on how to do it but haven't made up my mind on trying it yet being that I'm not too car savvy..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2012, 10:04 AM
Chevy Representatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Bu View Post
I haven't checked the spark plugs,.I found a video on how to do it but haven't made up my mind on trying it yet being that I'm not too car savvy..
It might be worth your while to have the dealership take a look at this. Since your Malibu is a 2008 and if it is diagnosed to be something with the transmission or something else within the Powertrain warranty, you might get it resolved at no cost to you. However, you would have to be under the 100,000 miles too.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Sunday

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.