97 Malibu wont start after engine has reached operating temp - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Exclamation 97 Malibu wont start after engine has reached operating temp

I was driving my malibu like normal when after about 40 miles. i went to get gas, (i have been using to same gas in it for sometime now). so after i finshed getting gas i went to start it. it cranked up to about 1000 rpm the idled down and died i tryed it again it idled to 400, then it just kept doing that so i stopped so i would flood it. after about 4 minuter it started up and i was able to drive. then the same thing happed yesterday when i went to walmart. then i let the car run for about an hour no problem i shut it off for 10 seconds kick right back on and started i wait a minute nothing. what wrong with my malibu i love this car i dont want to have to get rid of it is my first car and my family has owned it since 2005 184,000 on the dash.

autolite wires

cooper autolite plugs

bad cam sensor (i have the part)

please help me i need my baby to work right

Last edited by Javien; 06-03-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Garage
Re: 97 Malibu wont start after engine has reached operating temp

I don't know where to start with any real assistance, but I'd like to suggest as kindly as possible that you might find it easier to get folks to read your posts if you'll put a little punctuation in them. The more readers you get the more help you'll get, too.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

i just started it and let it run for 2 minutes and shut it off for 10 seconds wont start up
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javien View Post
i wait a minute nothing.

bad cam sensor (i have the part)
1) You should FIX anything that you know is wrong first (cam sensor).
2) You should NOT just let it sit there and run for an hour.
3) What does "nothing" mean? That the starter wasn't running......or the starter WAS running but it won't fire up ??

I second the request for a little formatting in your posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 07:30 PM
ASE Certified Technician

Two thoughts. Clean the throttle body and check to make sure the fuel pressure regulator isn't leaking. Pull the vacuum hose off and if there's fuel at the hose, the regulator is bad. Clean the throttle body first though, doesn't take long and doesn't cost much.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 04:41 AM
CMF Rookie Member

Hey, had the same problem with random shut offs after the car warms up. Car would then not start right away, but if I waited (at first 10 minutes, as the problem progressed a few hours) the car would start.

We replaced the ignition control module, and everything was good to go. Problem was that the electrical contacts separated when things heated up, but when the car was cool, everything was fine.

Hope this helps.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 10:34 AM
CMF Junior Member

Garage
Exclamation Re: 97 Malibu wont start after engine has reached operating temp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidurg View Post
Hey, had the same problem with random shut offs after the car warms up. Car would then not start right away, but if I waited (at first 10 minutes, as the problem progressed a few hours) the car would start.

We replaced the ignition control module, and everything was good to go. Problem was that the electrical contacts separated when things heated up, but when the car was cool, everything was fine.

Hope this helps.
You are exactly right! I had the same problem with one of the staffs vehicle, come to find out they did not put the gel on the ICM and it overheated causing the car to shut off randomly. I've dealed with this problem twice in college. Normally people forget to add the gel to keep the ICM from overheating.

3.1l v6 185 hp, CAI
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by young-gear View Post
Normally people forget to add the gel to keep the ICM from overheating.
Just a minor point of clarification:

The "gel" or dielectric grease keeps out moisture and other contaminants and prevents the resulting corrosion......which in turn makes heat when the connection starts failing.

IF.....the bad connection and resulting heat is from insufficient contact pressure to start with (and not from moisture or corrosion), the gel can actually make matters worse.

Sometimes that minor point becomes a major consideration.
It can be a factor if/when the offending heat is coming from OUTSIDE the component or connector that is being affected.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 11:22 AM
ASE Certified Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuKen View Post
The "gel" or dielectric grease keeps out moisture and other contaminants and prevents the resulting corrosion......which in turn makes heat when the connection starts failing.
I'm pretty sure 'young-gear' was referring to the metal plate on the bottom side of the ignition module where it sits, in some applictions, directly on a metal bracket for a mounting plate and for some heat dissipation and then the gel or silicone dielectric grease WAS put on the bottom of the module for aiding heat transfer. I think you would actually have seen that back as far as the mid '70's when HEI was relatively new. I think the old 4 and 7 pin modules actually came with that grease and a label telling you to use it for heat dissipation. I'm pretty sure that's the way it was.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post
I'm pretty sure 'young-gear' was referring to the metal plate on the bottom side of the ignition module
His reference to the pins losing contact led me astray.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I remember using "heat sink compound" on descretely mounted power transistors. I'm not sure it is the same thing as dielectric grease.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.