2003 Malibu Service Vehicle Soon & Theft System Light
I have a 2003 Malibu with just over 85,000 miles. I have loved this car from the first test drive and we have been together since her 7th mile.
Sadly,a couple of quirky problems have been popping up intermittently over the last year and are getting progressively more obnoxious. Here is what is happening:
1. The AC will sporadically cut off. Air is still blowing but it is no longer cold & the green light on the AC button blinks on and off as the AC kicks on and off. I used to think that jiggling the button would help it to kick back on, but now I think it has a mind of its own and comes back on when it chooses.
2. The blinkers sporadically stop working. The hazard lights still work and pressing the hazard light button seems to reset the signal indicator problem and all is temporarily well again.
3. The car horn spontaneously honks (a short blast) when the car is turned off and locked. (i.e. Me = walking into the house...Car = HONK)very "Christine"-like
4. The doors stopped automatically unlocking when the car was turned off
5. The "Anti Theft System" light came on briefly but did not stay on and has not appeared with any degree of consistency...like it goes off while I'm still driving.
This behavior has been going on for about a year...and has been inconsistent enough to be highly annoying while also too hard to pin down for service.
In mid December a couple of new developments arrived.
6. When started, the radio, gas gauge, lights, & AC all failed to come to life. After a short time, these things seemed to "awaken" and all is well.
7. Intermittently, the Service Vehicle Soon light comes on. This light has also been highly inconsistent.
Meanwhile...today...the door locks have mysteriously started working again!! Is my car possessed?
I have heard something of a Body Control Module being on the fritz as a possibility...could that have the Anti-Theft System on the blink as well?
Thanks for any advice!
Last edited by AmandaB; 01-03-2013 at 01:48 PM.