2004 Malibue A/C Blower fan only works on highest setting? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

2004 Malibue A/C Blower fan only works on highest setting?

Hello all, I apologize if this has been covered before. I tried searching and didn't come up with exactly what I was looking for.

My friend has a 2004 Malibu and she said that the last time it was in for an oil change it came back and the fan would only come on on the highest setting. I'm thinking it could be vacuum related IF that is how that system is controlled. I had a '01 Dodge pickup and a vacuum hose was knocked loose under the hood and it caused issues with the fan settings. Or is that just a coincidence? Any other reasons/help is appreciated I know nothing about these cars as my username suggests lol. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 04:53 PM
CMF Junior Member

Re: 2004 Malibue A/C Blower fan only works on highest setting?

I have an 04 that only works on 3-4 and was told it's a problem with the blower motor resistor getting bad, apparently its a widespread problem on earlier gen malibu's grand am's, etc as well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 06:40 PM
CMF Rookie Member

problem most likely is the blower motor resister. It is autozone Part Number:
20262 it is located on the passanger side floorboard area, where the passanger puts his feet. You have to remove the black plastic shroud above the foot area, and I had to lay down in the passanger seat with my head where the feet go. It was fairly easy to replace/ I had more of a problem getting out of that position than replacing it. As I remember it fits inside the blower itself because it produces some heat. Problem is NOT the switch or wiring or even the blower. The resister(s) divide the voltage going to the fan to give it different voltages(speed). The blower itself only has one set of windings, so it's a matter of voltage that changes the speed. You will be able to see it easily after removing the shroud/kickplate. Its an easy fix. about $25

Last edited by stevegantt; 08-25-2010 at 06:43 PM. Reason: spelling
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 04:05 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Stevegantt

How you removed blower cover (shroud/kickplate)
There are two clips right under in front of glove box that is easy to pop, there is one in the back that I have problem, and can't see how to unlatch without breaking anything.
My problem is battery drain that is been eliminated to a 4 amp draw from a run relay fuse that seems to go to fan blower.
I have pulled the fuse out car runs of course without air conditioner blower
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 10:05 AM
CMF Senior Member

http://autorepair.about.com/library/...bl629a-lib.htm Hi I had same problem (2000 malibu) but the resister stopped working at the first setting then it was the 1st ,second then third stopped .I thought it was the switch and bought a used one but the used had the same problem so i suspected something else then the forth setting blew so I tried the used one it also was not working on the fourth setting so i was sure the problem wasnt the switch .then found out it was the resister .

Last edited by Malibu00; 09-15-2010 at 10:15 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Thanks guys. It was the resistor. 22 bucks at advance and it works like a charm!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

nirvan45, I just fooled with the shroud for a few minutes and finally got it to come off. You just have to wiggle and pull on it til it comes off...its kind of a pain. I wonder why they can't design things like this to be attached with 3-4 screws...guess that would make it too easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.