i'm ready to give up on 98 malibu - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

i'm ready to give up on 98 malibu

i got a 98 malibu that i can't get running. first off, it's a ................98 malibu LS, 3100 v6. the car would start then die. i found this forum and done some reading. took car to shop, checked all fuses, feul pump, codes, everything was good. found out the auto theft crap was the problem. got the car started and cut the yellow wire and put in a toggle. auto theft light stayed on but the car started and ran great. lasted for about 2 months and then started doing the same crap again. starts and dies. tried flipping the toggle back to normal and going through the turn key to on and wait 10-20 min over and over again. i can't get this car to stay running no matter what i do. i did notice that my daylight running lights do not work anymore when the key is on. i also used a volt meter and checked the 3 wires that connect to the key switch. with the key on, the yellow wire only had 1.3 volts and the white wire only had 3.4 volts.
i would really appreciate any and all help as i'm ready to take this car to the scrap yard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 08:47 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Re: i'm ready to give up on 98 malibu

It sounds like a battery problem. Check the IPC/BFC ACC fuse in the left instrument panel fuse block. The voltage across the junction with the key ON should be 12V or higher. Then, check the Air Conditioning Compressor/Body Function Control Module fuse in the engine compartment fuse block. The voltage across that junction with the key ON should be 12V or higher as well. If they are low, check the voltage across the battery itself.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 09:02 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Ah, I found the wiring diagrams:

Anti-Theft
Body Computer
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 04:57 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Send a message via MSN to microMXL

password for the diagrams?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 05:48 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Oh, just click on Download. You'd need to sign in/up only if you want to leave a comment.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

thanks, i will give it a try tuesday after work. would a bad battery really make the car start and die.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Garage

Yep, especially if it's drawing more amperage than the alternator can generate, or if the alternator has crapped out and isn't charging it at all. Below a certain threshold the PCM just won't function.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:10 PM
CMF Veteran Member

The reference voltage has to be 5V or higher (any excess gets bled off by a Zener diode, I think).

BTW, the way I used to check the voltage level at the fuse block was to put the positive probe into the holes on top of the fuse and measure the voltage against the known ground. Come to think of it, I don't even know those mini ATM fuses have holes on top.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 04:02 AM
Administrator

Garage

They do, but you have to have what seems like a straight pin for a probe tip!

When I worked in a Ford dealership service department, the PCM would not function below about 10.5 volts (or something near that) even if you could get the starter to crank. I wonder if something similar is happening here?

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Ugh, the wonders of miniaturization. It does sounds like an insufficient voltage is coming from the battery. The starter will crank as long as the solenoid clicks in the full battery voltage/current through the thick battery cable. That other, thin cable from the battery terminal may be the cause of the voltage drop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.