interior lighting problem - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

interior lighting problem

On my 2002 Malibu LS the dome light and under the dash foot lights will not go off after the doors are closed. They go out if you start the car but if shut off the engine, remove the key and exit the car and close the door the lights stay on. Lights do time out after 10 - 20 minutes to save battery (as designed). Is this a relay/timer issue or a poor door lock? If there is a timer relay where is it located? Does anyone have any schematics for this?

Thanks for any help on this.

Daboone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2011, 10:12 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Re: interior lighting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboone View Post
On my 2002 Malibu LS the dome light and under the dash foot lights will not go off after the doors are closed. They go out if you start the car but if shut off the engine, remove the key and exit the car and close the door the lights stay on. Lights do time out after 10 - 20 minutes to save battery (as designed). Is this a relay/timer issue or a poor door lock? If there is a timer relay where is it located? Does anyone have any schematics for this?

Thanks for any help on this.

Daboone
Huh. Mine don't take that long, but they DO take 5 to 10 minutes to dim out and turn off.

I dunno, I'd check the owner's manual and see if it's "broken as designed" there

I'd also check and make sure there's no "Door Ajar" notices while I'm driving.

RwP

335K miles on original motor and tranny (only motor work 2 x LIM replacement), Monroe SensaTrac struts front and back (new at approx. 300K miles), and Alero discs in back. LS fogs added with custom wiring. HID high beams, HIR low and halogen fogs. Raybestos Pro Grade front rotors and Bendix D747 ceramic pads on front.

Addendum: Rest in peace. Surge tank blew, motor overheated, I think she's lived a long and useful life.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Huh. Mine don't take that long, but they DO take 5 to 10 minutes to dim out and turn off.
I think I remember seeing an "option" that can be set to make that time out interval shorter, maybe like 1 minute.

Then again, maybe not, as my wife asked if it could be made LONGER.......and I told her no because I didn't want to mess with it !!

Anyhow, I think 10 minutes is WAY too long and probably indicates a problem with something.........although a "fix" might not be worth the cost.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Status of problem: After checking doors again - no door ajar problems being declared. Checking dome light - switch works - turns off,on. Found a schematic in a Haynes manual and it looks like the BCM controls the timing of the lights. BCM cost $175 at Advance Auto. Was going to look into a used one at a junk yard when now the interior lights are working correctly. They go off 10 seconds after doors are closed (???). Do not know why they are working now.

One thing on the 20 minutes before the lights go off(as designed). In the owners manual it states that after 20 minutes if the car engine is not running the lights will shut off to save the battery life. Normally the interior lights will shut off in 10 seconds when you exit the car with the car engine off. I have not found anything in the owners manual about adjusting the time.

I am going to keep monitoring the lights for now and see if the problem comes back. In the winter time 20 minutes of on time will not be good for the battery.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Administrator

Garage

My 2c:

The 20-minute timer (controlled by the BCM as you say) is if you leave the door(s) open or ajar, or if the dome light switch was turned on and the key was turned off. That usually means you've left the car and are no longer in a position to monitor the lights, so it saves the battery from going dead.

The 10-second delay is controlled by the BCM as well, as you indicate. It allows you to shut the door and still have light to insert the key or whatever.

I suspect that by moving the dome light switch you cleaned it and/or caused it to stop sticking in the On position. The contacts are fairly wimpy and bend easily. They could have stuck the last time it was turned on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

It was not only the dome light staying on though. The foot lights under the dash would also stay on. If I shut off the dome light with the manual switch the foot lights would still stay on when all doors were closed and I exited the car. Both now are working as they should for some reason. Playing with the different position on the dome light might have cleaned the contacts but I am not sure how that ties into the foot lights.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 05:38 AM
Administrator

Garage

That is odd. It may have "fixed itself" at the same time you were wiggling the switch.

That means it's likely to come back as an issue if the switch jiggling didn't fix it.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2016, 09:01 PM
CMF Rookie Member

I am having exactly the same problem. Did you ever figure out what the issue was? Did the problem come back?

Thanks
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboone View Post
It was not only the dome light staying on though. The foot lights under the dash would also stay on. If I shut off the dome light with the manual switch the foot lights would still stay on when all doors were closed and I exited the car. Both now are working as they should for some reason. Playing with the different position on the dome light might have cleaned the contacts but I am not sure how that ties into the foot lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.