01 malibu fuel and temp gauge inop - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

01 malibu fuel and temp gauge inop

Hi i have a 01 malibu 3.1l
The fuel and temp gauge is not working
the car was running fine both gauges worked and suddenly the fuel and temp gauge dropped . i heard a pop noise when it happened . the car runs ok otherwise.
I read that the pcm might be bad so i replaced it with another one and it still has the same propblem
I replaced lower manifold gasket on it . after that i started no notice the fan wouldnt come on ,found blown fuse ,replaced it and replaced fan relays .
I noticed that the fan was making growling noise when it worked so i replaced it as well. now this happened.
HELP Please .
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2011, 05:22 PM
ASE Certified Technician

Re: 01 malibu fuel and temp gauge inop

Any lights on in the dash? Are the gauge needles in the sweep of the gauge or are they, in the case of the fuel gauge below E even though you have plenty of fuel? Sometimes if you disconnect the battery, when you reconnect it, the cluster sees a voltage spike and will drive the needles out of their normal sweep. The easiest fix is to pull out the cluster and kind of shake the cluster to work the needles around to where they're supposed to be. Some guys use a paper clip and through the trip reset button get the needle back to the proper place. Get back to us and tell us where the gauge needles are pointing and if you have any tell tale lights on in the instrument cluster.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 07:46 PM
CMF Rookie Member

My daughter has an '01 w/ the same problem. For the past few years about every six months the temperature gauge would suddenly drop to less than zero (another words it looked like no power was applied - flat-lined). If I recall the check engine light came on and it pointed to the temp sensor. It was replaced and the problem came back.

Since then each time this happened, we would reset the code w/ a OBDII device. The temp gauge goes back to working for many months and one day it drops out again. We repeat the procedure to read w/ ODBII and clear errors.

Today the same error occurred AND the gas gauge is also not reading. Reading and clearing w/ the ODBII rectifies neither of these conditions.

Any advice?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 12:17 AM
CMF Rookie Member

My daughter has an '01 w/ the same problem. For the past few years about every six months the temperature gauge would suddenly drop to less than zero (another words it looked like no power was applied - flat-lined). If I recall the check engine light came on and it pointed to the temp sensor. It was replaced and the problem came back.

Since then each time this happened, we would reset the code w/ a OBDII device. The temp gauge goes back to working for many months and one day it drops out again. We repeat the procedure to read w/ ODBII and clear errors.

Today the same error occurred AND the gas gauge is also not reading. Reading and clearing w/ the ODBII rectifies neither of these conditions.

Any advice?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 09:28 AM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanb View Post

Any advice?
This problem is complicated, my friend experienced and he sold his car
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

What are the codes?

10 Malibu 1LT
'14 Traverse 1LT
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 03:36 AM
CMF Rookie Member

P0128 was the code. If I recall this was for the thermostat. It has been replaced.
The error code did clear. Started the car and the temperature and gas gauge are still zero.
Turned the engine off. Rechecked the OBDII and there are no error codes, but these two gauges still not working.

What changed this time is: 1) the gas gauge is also not indicating anything and 2) resetting error w/ the OBDII does not fix the temperature (or gas) gauge.

If anyone has the schematics for this section, I can follow them.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.