Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brake line question 2000 Malibu

18K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Longs 
#1 ·
Got a question, what size brake lines are on the 2000 Malibu, not the hoses but the steel brake lines (pipe as some may call them)? Also are the fittings metric or SAE which connect them to the proportioning valve etc... ?? Reason I ask is I am in Japan, before leaving in early January, I went to drive my car and found brake line had sprung a leak. So it has been sitting in my driveway awaiting my returnin April. Now I have spliced some of the lines before but do not recall the size of the line or fittings and wish to order online so I have it when I get back and not have to find a way to the parts store. It is an Ohio car now in WA state and pretty rusty underneath, so figure will have a week and will replace most of the lines myself. Appreciate any information so I can order the parts now.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm sure this is coming far too late to help you, but I'm hoping it may help someone else.

The 2001 Malibu uses M10x1 fittings on the ends of the brake lines which go to each wheel's brake hose. At the ABS Pump module the lines from the right side of the car use M10x1.5 fittings; from the left side of the car M10x1 fittings.
Both ends of these 3/16"/4.75mm lines are bubble flared. The ends of two lines going into the ABS module from the master cylinder are also bubble flared, and I believe M11x1.5 or M10x1.5 (these two lines I did not replace). The line to the passenger side rear wheel contains a union near the fuel filter. It joins a double flare with a bubble flare.

I would suspect that the the above would be true for all 1999 to 2003 models as they utilize the same ABS pump.

#6 ·
I just changed the lines running from the ABS pump to the rear on a 2003, one had rusted and failed at the plastic retention bracket at the base of the firewall, so I changed both, spliced them under the car where I had more room to work, about half way along the driver's door.

I believe that Squeaks' info on the ABS lines is correct. I bought the same tube nut, M10x1 for both lines, and the right side line wouldn't tighten; I was freaking out thinking that I had stripped the threads inside the ABS pump somehow and was royally screwed, then I tried the original tube nut which fit right in, so I had to cut off the flare I had made so that I could use the original tube nut. I did not touch the lines for the front wheels or the lines from the master cylinder to the ABS pump, so I can't speak to those, but the tube nuts/fittings at the ABS pump going to left and right rear wheels are definitely not the same size.

What's the rationale for the different size fittings? Who knows, is it so that one can't inadvertently switch the positions of the lines?

The job was a real pain in the ass, too. Had to remove the battery and tray, air filter box and bracket, and loosen the power distribution box and hold it up out of the way with a bungee cord, then get the lines to run through all of the retention brackets. I used the Nickel/Copper CuNiFer lines for replacement, they'll outlast the car and were more expensive, but they are MUCH easier to bend and route than steel lines.

#7 ·
Normally, we run bulk line from one of the vendors, Advance, NAPA, etc. Run it, hand bend it, cut it, flare it, install it, bleed it, done.

When I did my truck, I ordered a kit from SSTubes.com.
All stainless steel, prebent, even had braided drop hoses. Was about $275. But EVERYTHING is new, EVERYTHING is stainless steel.

#8 ·
I assume that you're working in a shop with a lift and all of the needed tools at your disposal. That's different from working on your back on the concrete with the car on jack stands in your garage. Then you get to the last step, bleeding the lines, and hope that you can loosen the rusty bleeder screws without breaking them off, creating another project.

It is my son's car, he asked if it was worth it to do it myself. I had about $50 in parts plus a lot of my time, but on a car worth maybe $2,000 versus paying a shop probably $400 - $500, yes. I also learned something, as I had never flared brake lines myself before this job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.