Popping noise when turning my wheel - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Popping noise when turning my wheel

Okay, I am back guys! I need to get to the bottom of what may be wrong with my car....again! When I turn my steering wheel really hard/sharp there is a loud popping noise. I thought originally it was the drivers side cv joint, so I bought the new axle, but the more I hear it I don't think it is. Last time I had a bad cv joint it was a constant pop pop pop pop everytime I turned the wheel. Now only one hard pop when the wheel is turned very sharp/hard.Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2012, 08:25 PM
ASE Certified Technician

Re: Popping noise when turning my wheel

Turning hard while moving, right? Only one single pop each time you turn it? Sometimes hub bearings will make a single pop. Noise started all of a sudden or has gradually got worse? No work done recently? No curb hopping?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post
Turning hard while moving, right? Only one single pop each time you turn it? Sometimes hub bearings will make a single pop. Noise started all of a sudden or has gradually got worse? No work done recently? No curb hopping?
It was popping when I bought it from the last owner. No work done recently...except the plugs and wires. And no curb hopping. Seems to be just one single pop. I have a strut that is creaking but already have that identified.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibu_lady View Post
I thought originally it was the drivers side cv joint, so I bought the new axle, but the more I hear it I don't think it is.
I think you should NOT buy parts based only on a wild guess.

While you might not be able to better identify the source of the noise by putting the car on a lift (one where you can turn the wheel while it's up), it certainly wouldn't hurt........and it might pinpoint the problem so you could buy the right parts the first time.

Even if it costs you ~ $50 to have somebody inspect it, you might still be money ahead in the end.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

I know not to buy parts based on a wild guess, and even though I have the new part, it has not been installed so if it is something else it can be returned.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2012, 06:13 PM
ASE Certified Technician

With only the info you gave to work with, I'll stick with a hub bearing as a possibility. Like I said, aftermarket bearings, and very rarely even an OE bearing, will make a single pop noise on a turn. If this is easily duplicated, it should be relatively easy to diagnose.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 06:52 AM
Chevy Representatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post

I would have to agree with MalibuKen in regards to getting the vehicle up on a lift to get to the bottom of this. I completely understand that you are prepared with the axle and it should be able to be returned if that is not the part that you need, but we want to make sure that you are getting the proper diagnosis and getting this taken care of so you can enjoy your vehicle.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Sunday

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 05:01 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Did you solve this issue? What was the problem? Did you just run the car?

I purchased my first malibu a few weeks ago, and I drove it home from the car dealer (as a used car).

My car has a faint "pop" when I turn at low speeds, I tend to feel it in the steering wheel, it feels like faint "clicks". No matter the direction I turn the wheels it will pop, once or twice, not close together it just pops as I turn the wheel further it will pop again.

If I get above 30 mph or so the "noise" goes away. I'm trying to gather information as to whether or not it should be a concern or if it is just "noise" and where to turn. I plan on having the car fully inspected by a mechanic, but I'm still working on my down payment and when money becomes available again, until then it's the DRIVEWAY GARAGE lol.

Last edited by b3y0ndd34th; 08-30-2012 at 05:04 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

I replaced both hub assemblies on the front and it seemed to solve te issue.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2012, 06:42 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind, it seems the Rack and Pinon cause some issues, some Intermediate shafts, some seem to be strut issues. Guess it's time for a mechanic trip lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.