Gen7 Rear view camera help! - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

Gen7 Rear view camera help!

Hey guys,
I'm planning to install a backup camera at the license plate lamp. But I think it would be quite difficult to run the wire, if I don't remove the rear bumper.
Two wires: power cord and signal cord.

1: Power cord: It is supposed to connect to the back-up lamp power, but back-up lamp is on the trunk lid, and camer location is on the bumper. So I want to connect the power cord to somewhere at the fuse box. However, the wire tapped from the fuse is always hot, and I think it's better to tap after the back-up lamp relay, but where is it? Any one did this?

2. More important. How can we run the wire from the outside into the trunk? I see there's a small hole around the right lamp passing all the wires, but there's a rubber on this hole, and no more room for an extra wire.

Please tell if you did your rear view camera.!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Garage
Re: Rear view camera help!

Back wire goes to the fuse box inside the trunk. Wire harness for rear lights enters trunk behind left taillight. Use that grommet.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:36 AM
CMF Junior Member

If you need a backup camera that bad on a Malibu... Maybe its time to retake your driving test lol.

- 2010 Malibu 1LT- Black Granite Met. 2.4L 6 Speed Auto. Saab 9-3 Aero wheels with custom covered centercaps, chrome lugnuts, PTM bumper emblems, "www.beretta.net" banner on the back window, lip spoiler, LTZ taillights, CHMSL flasher, chrome lower grill strip,LTZ grills and painted calipers
- 2002 Pontiac Montana AWD- Aqua/Gold 3400 Auto
- 1994 Beretta Z26- Black. The first LX9 3500 6 spd manual Beretta.. too many mods to list.
- 1993 Beretta- Rust free parts car
post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Garage

Small window with a high beltline - I don't think anyone has ever suggested that it's "easy" to back up or see through these windows.

Of course, we're also not expert backer-uppers like truckers, so maybe we need a little help here and there.

Or maybe we just prefer not to bump into things like others do in, say, New York City or other places where it's common to have collisions and do nothing about it.

I, for one, like my car to look good, and scratching it all to hell isn't what I'd consider normal.

Muffler mod on '09
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 11:56 AM
CMF Junior Member

You think the Malibu is bad visibility wise?? I delivered pizzas in a 08 Cobalt LS two door with factory spoiler.. Ever sat in a Cobalt 2 door? You should just to see what Im talking about... Then have the factory spoiler in the way! On deliveries that were in the "country" however you want to put it, I backed that car down narrow driveways hitting the speed limiter in reverse at 30 mph.. I only do that when I KNOW its safe to do so..

I have backed in the Malibu the same way.. its EASY!! There is absolutely no need for a camera on a Malibu haha.

- 2010 Malibu 1LT- Black Granite Met. 2.4L 6 Speed Auto. Saab 9-3 Aero wheels with custom covered centercaps, chrome lugnuts, PTM bumper emblems, "www.beretta.net" banner on the back window, lip spoiler, LTZ taillights, CHMSL flasher, chrome lower grill strip,LTZ grills and painted calipers
- 2002 Pontiac Montana AWD- Aqua/Gold 3400 Auto
- 1994 Beretta Z26- Black. The first LX9 3500 6 spd manual Beretta.. too many mods to list.
- 1993 Beretta- Rust free parts car
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 12:53 PM
CMF Senior Member

That is your opinion. I back up my malibu all the time, and there is always that last little bit where I am guessing. If its tight I will ask the wife to get out, or open my door. A back up camera would be appreciated on the car, as its an extra bit of technology to help. Do I need one? No, would I really enjoy having one integrated, absolutley.

2012 LT Platinum with Performance Package(V6), Crystal Red Tintcoat

Farewell to 2011 2LT v6 Black Granite Meteallic
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 04:30 PM
Administrator

Garage

To each their own. Backing up in the rurals means you're relying solely on the lights on the car; doing so in the city is easy 'cuz there are street lights everywhere.

Is the window small and hard to see out of? Yes. As hard as the Cobalt example? Apparently not. But I'm from the days of cars that had a low beltline and a large greenhouse. I could see the trunk in the mirror and figure out where the back of the car was a lot more easily than this here 'Bu! And backing them up in the rurals was not fun. Then add in that not all nights are clear as a bell and it makes it that much harder. I agree that a camera is for some, not all, and for those that want it it shouldn't be a decision they have to defend. I sure wouldn't. And won't.

Heck, I'd like to see how someone melds a camera into a Gen7! I think it'd be pretty darn cool just for the technical difficulty. (I know the Olympics are over but some of the terms stick around, don'tchaknow! )

Muffler mod on '09
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
CMF Junior Member

I have a in-dash gps to display the rearview vision, but it requires a back-up signal to activate the vision. So how to run the wire to the console? Also from the fuse in trunk?

Besides, is the tapped wire from trunk fuse always hot? Or will live when backup?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
Back wire goes to the fuse box inside the trunk. Wire harness for rear lights enters trunk behind left taillight. Use that grommet.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2012, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Garage

If you need power in the trunk, there are 2 light green wires that go to the fuse box in the trunk, 1 for each backup light. If you need power up front, there is a brown wire that exits the rear fuse panel and goes to the inside mirror to un-dim it when reversing.

Both of the above wires are powered only when the backup relay is energized (grounded) by the reverse light control circuit in the BCM using a light blue wire.

Muffler mod on '09
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 09:51 PM
CMF Rookie Member

i always thought of back up cameras as more of a cool factor rather then a necessity on cars... but... the more and more i install and test out, the more im starting to consider putting one on my malibu takes the guess work of " how close am i now"

MECP MASTER CERTIFIED
CEA161309
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.