Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Winter tires 2010 LT rim guidance please!

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  TheSilverOne 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I am a little confused on what direction to take for tires.
I want to get a winter set of rims and tires for the bu. 1LT w/17" rims

In local classified, i found some good condition Cadillac Catera rims, 16"
I am very curious if these would be a good deal. with some research I found the matching tire for this rim would be a 225/55R16 , which is looking to be about $770/set Canadian (i know its expensive, our dollar) from costco. Would this be compatible with the malibu? makes me nervous switching from 17" to 16" ut i think its ok. Same bolt pattern, center bore, and i believe offset as well.

My second option is buying steel rims from costco particularly the x46510, which would be more expensive than the used cadilliac rim, does anyone know what tire size would be for these? I cant seem to link rim size with tire sizes....

http://www.costco.ca/Steel-Wheels,-Home-Delivery-Only.product.100018256.html

Ive also seen sites showing this steel rim with 215/60R16. Which is much cheaper, would these be put on the cadillac rims?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
In local classified, i found some good condition Cadillac Catera rims, 16"
I am very curious if these would be a good deal. with some research I found the matching tire for this rim would be a 225/55R16 , which is looking to be about $770/set Canadian (i know its expensive, our dollar) from costco. Would this be compatible with the malibu? makes me nervous switching from 17" to 16" ut i think its ok. Same bolt pattern, center bore, and i believe offset as well.

Ive also seen sites showing this steel rim with 215/60R16. Which is much cheaper, would these be put on the cadillac rims?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

I see that you posted this last year. Did you choose a wheel and tire set? I just bought a 2012 Malibu that has stock 18"s on it and I am wondering if I could use a 16" wheel with a 215/60R16 tire. TireRack has a decent deal on some steelies that only come in 16".

The only issue that I can see is an interference with the break system. These tires are as tall as my current set. So there wouldn't be any clearance issues with the body.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
I am new to the forum and I am still setting up my Profile.

Thank you.

#3 ·
Yes.

Stock sizes available for the Gen7 are 16, 17, and 18. The brakes are designed to fit inside a 16" wheel even on the models that get the 18" rims.

#4 ·
If my memory serves me right, a catera has a 5x120 bolt pattern, while our cars have a 5x110 pattern, so don't bother with those wheels.

best bet is to find a set of stock 17" steelies and put snow tires on them. 215/55/17 is the stock tire size.

annnnd, i just saw this thread was made a year ago. well, at least you'll be ready for this coming winter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.