Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums - View Single Post - Fuel Tank Only Filling up to 7/8
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 04:44 AM
DrivenDaily
Administrator

Garage
Re: Fuel Tank Only Filling up to 7/8

"For the best mileage you should fill when half empty"? How on Earth does that equate to better mileage? I doubt that tech can provide a reasonable argument to support his claim, but if you ask him, please post his response. At this point in time I can't think of any reason to fill up at half a tank other than he might run out of gas if there's a big traffic jam. The wife of a dear old friend of mine would always fill when it got to half a tank, but she was also the kind who would get in the lane she needed more than 5 miles away (on surface streets). It is the difference between how a lot of women tend to act and how a lot of men tend to act: men tend to wait until the last minute, whereas women tend to plan ahead and secure their place.

We are always hearing that to get the best mileage we should remove excess weight from the car. Letting my tank go to just above E removes weight from the car, so it is going to get better mileage than if it had to carry half a tank more than that for the same number of miles. I can go about 300 miles on a tank while I drive back and forth to work. If I were to fill up at about 150 miles, I would be carrying an additional 1/2 a tank of gas those last 150 miles. In my car 1/2 a tank is about 7 to 8 gallons. Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon and gas is slightly less, but let's say it's 8 pounds. 7 gallons times 8 pounds is 56 pounds. That's not a bunch of weight but it's 56 pounds more than taking the car toward empty. How does carrying 56 more pounds for 150 of the 300 miles get me better mileage?

As you can see, I don't drink the Kool Aid that others pour out and I don't swallow the Company bull. I listen, I think for myself, and yet sometimes I'm still wrong. But I'm also willing to listen to convincing arguments and change my mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mods: WeatherTech mats,

::

Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome