Is that possible to install in Malibu 2005 radio from new Malibu or other cars? - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member

Is that possible to install in Malibu 2005 radio from new Malibu or other cars?

Is that possible to install in Malibu 2005 radio from new Malibu or other cars let say Equinox... or Impala?

Malibu MAXX LS 2005
177777 km.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:05 AM
CMF Senior Member

Re: Is that possible to install in Malibu 2005 radio from new Malibu or other cars?

see if they look the same and go from there...i have a blazer radio in my cavy...but only cause it was free.

also you will probably have to take it to the dealer to get the theft relearn on the radio
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:11 AM
CMF Senior Member

Re: Is that possible to install in Malibu 2005 radio from new Malibu or other cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ectar View Post
Is that possible to install in Malibu 2005 radio from new Malibu or other cars let say Equinox... or Impala?
Think this might cover your situation....and even with the scan tool....read: dealer....you still might be out of luck.

Regarding 2004 radios, the Theftlock theft deterrent system is a feature on all base and uplevel radios. There is no need to program a security code into the radio as in past model years. The theft deterrent system now utilizes class 2 serial data to determine if the radio is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the radio receives the "run" power mode message, it compares the VIN information it has stored to the VIN information received from a module on the class 2 serial data circuit responsible for transmitting that information. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this takes place, a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative. The 2 scenarios able to cause this condition are:
A radio is installed from another vehicle.
A module which communicates on the class 2 serial data circuit which supplies VIN information to the radio is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle.

The only way to unlock the radio is by using a scan tool.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:12 AM
CMF Senior Member

yup have to use a tec 2...
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-23-2009, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member

Looks like it is impossible I've compared pictures (found on ebay) of radios: Malibu 05 and Malibu 08 , Enquinox 07 have different connectors at the back. I guess they are not compatible. Size wise they are apparently similar (mounts are similar)

I will continue my research, but with less energy

Malibu MAXX LS 2005
177777 km.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 07:49 AM
CMF Junior Member

Yeah why not. I think you can easily upgrade.take it to the dealor, he will do that.

Samwilson66
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 09:03 AM
CMF Senior Member

It's not possible to swap in a radio from a newer car, the wiring and connectors are different. Just take a look at aftermarket stereo system adapters to see the differences between the years on GM cars and trucks and you'l find GM didn't stay with the same style of connection on the radios.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored by MP Racing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:19 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Ive got an 05 malibu (new body) and i am replacing the stereo with another 05 stereo, this will require me to take it to the dealer to change the vin, correct?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 AM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldencupkake View Post
Ive got an 05 malibu (new body) and i am replacing the stereo with another 05 stereo, this will require me to take it to the dealer to change the vin, correct?
Not sure but it might have to deal with the theft system that would probably need to be re-programmed with the new radio.

Sponsored by MP Racing.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 11:41 PM
CMF Rookie Member

I was wondering the SAME thing. I'd like to know if any other these will fit in my 2005 new style Malibu LS with no ONStar or XW or CD changer...
I would love to have this one http://www.mnrelectronics.com/20poamcdwiau.html But any of these would do as well, if they'd fit and WORK PROPERLY...
http://oem-auto-accessory.com/257828...x_mp3_cd6.html
http://oem-auto-accessory.com/259807...brand_new.html
http://oem-auto-accessory.com/258650...brand_new.html
Let me know what ya'll think! And thanx in advance xD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.