How-To: Reset TPMS Sensor - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
CMF Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 246
How-To: Reset TPMS Sensor

The TPMS matching process is outlined below:

Set the parking brake.
Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.
Press and hold the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter's LOCK and UNLOCK buttons, at the same time, for about five seconds to start the TPMS learn mode. The horn sounds twice indicating the TPMS receiver is ready and in learn mode.
Start with the driver side front tire. The driver side front turn signal also comes on to indicate that corner's sensor is ready to be learned.
Remove the valve cap from the tire's valve stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for about eight seconds. The horn chirp, can take up to 30 seconds to sound. It chirps one time and then all the turn signals flash one time to confirm the sensor identification code has been matched to the tire/wheel position.
The passenger side front turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side front tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
The passenger side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
The driver side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
After hearing the single horn chirp for the driver side rear tire, two additional horn chirps sound to indicate the tire learning process is done. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.
If no tires are learned after entering the TPMS learn mode, or if communication with the receiver stops, or if the time limit has expired, turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF and start over beginning with Step 2.

Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.
Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.
FrankTA2 likes this.

The Offical Chevymalibuforum.com 100th Member.
08LTZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-24-2009, 10:38 PM
CMF Veteran Member
 
Joeyavhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Beverly Hills, Florida
Posts: 534
Garage
Re: TPMS Reset Procedure

Holy Moly. Lol

When would you need to do this anyway?
Joeyavhu is offline  
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 03:56 AM
CMF Veteran Member
 
beach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Southern Delaware
Posts: 915
Re: TPMS Reset Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyavhu View Post
Holy Moly. Lol

When would you need to do this anyway?
Anytime you change a wheel/tire from its original position, such as when you rotate them.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Momma wanted some power...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dark Gray Metallic, Titanium UltraLux
___________________________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The new ride...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
beach is offline  
post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 06:38 AM
CMF Veteran Member
 
Joeyavhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Beverly Hills, Florida
Posts: 534
Garage
Re: TPMS Reset Procedure

Ohh... Okay, I did not think of that.
Joeyavhu is offline  
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:41 PM
CMF Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 193
Re: TPMS Reset Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08LTZ View Post
The TPMS matching process is outlined below:

Set the parking brake.
Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.
Press and hold the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter's LOCK and UNLOCK buttons, at the same time, for about five seconds to start the TPMS learn mode. The horn sounds twice indicating the TPMS receiver is ready and in learn mode.
Start with the driver side front tire. The driver side front turn signal also comes on to indicate that corner's sensor is ready to be learned.
Remove the valve cap from the tire's valve stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for about eight seconds. The horn chirp, can take up to 30 seconds to sound. It chirps one time and then all the turn signals flash one time to confirm the sensor identification code has been matched to the tire/wheel position.
The passenger side front turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side front tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
The passenger side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
The driver side rear turn signal comes on to indicate that corner sensor is ready to be learned. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
After hearing the single horn chirp for the driver side rear tire, two additional horn chirps sound to indicate the tire learning process is done. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.
If no tires are learned after entering the TPMS learn mode, or if communication with the receiver stops, or if the time limit has expired, turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF and start over beginning with Step 2.

Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.
Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.
Is this in the owner's manual? How are we supposed to know this? Better yet, how would any mechanic know to do this after rotating the tires??

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS
Summit White
Speedster is offline  
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 05:25 PM
CMF Junior Member
 
chief791's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dutchess County, NY
Posts: 29
Re: TPMS Reset Procedure

wow...i never thought it would take less time to rotate the tire then to reset the sensor.
chief791 is offline  
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 06:13 PM
CMF Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 218
Re: TPMS Reset Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster View Post
Is this in the owner's manual? How are we supposed to know this? Better yet, how would any mechanic know to do this after rotating the tires??
Yes, it is in the user manual, starting on page 5-56. Dealer Mechanics should know about it but don't expect others to know. You would not want other low-pay (such as Sam's club, etc..) mechanics to touch them any way. They likely will mess them up.
Even if you don't re-match them, it should not be a big deal. There are only 4 tires. If the alarm comes on, you can just check all of them.

08 2LT White/Titanium, 4cyl/4spd
Born 04/08 Lake Orion
hoahai is offline  
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 AM
CMF Veteran Member
 
Yury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 714
Re: TPMS Reset Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief791 View Post
wow...i never thought it would take less time to rotate the tire then to reset the sensor.
You can follow these steps in 10 minutes easily. It sounds worse than it is
Dealer would do it even faster, they have a special device for matching.
FrankTA2 likes this.

1999 Honda Prelude base, 5 speed
2008 Toyota Yaris 4 door hatchback, auto
Yury is offline  
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 06:06 PM
CMF Rookie Member
 
Pintoracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 18
Re: TPMS Reset Procedure

I did my first rotation tonight! took about 45 min. using hand tools. No problems reseting the sensors. Easy as pie!!!!!!
FrankTA2 likes this.

Bryan

09 Malibu 1LT Silver Ice Metallic, 2.4L with 6-speed
07 Silverado 2LT Crewcab Classic, Garnet Red Metallic
Pintoracer is offline  
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 07:14 PM
CMF Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trenton, NJ
Posts: 644
Re: TPMS Reset Procedure

Strange, I Rotated my tires at 6,000 Miles. Never did this. Now I have 10,400 Miles and no lights. And mine does read the actual pressure in each wheel.
Escapemax

Formerly EscapeMax
2013 Hyundai Elantra Coupe GS
2010 Yamaha Majesty (YP400)
ElantraMax is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TPMS sensor problems JeffreyRosskopf Wheels, Tires & Suspension (Generation 7) 2 04-12-2011 09:23 AM
HELP - How do I reset the remote? johnkris1 General Discussion (Generation 7) 5 03-06-2010 08:33 AM
Question for folks who have done a reset of the TPMS Speedster Do It Yourself Maintenance (Generation 7) 7 08-06-2009 12:30 AM
Oil Reset Question Mudlizard General Discussion (Generation 7) 8 04-28-2009 10:19 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome