Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheel Bearings, 2013 Eco 2SA

5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  chevyorange 
#1 ·
Hello! I am aware that the 2013 Malibu had a recall notice for wheel bearings. I was never notified of this, so I figured my VIN number didn't fall in with the ones that were being recalled

Over the last week I've heard from my left rear the sound that kind of sounds as though there's a flat spot on the tire. There is not a flat spot!

From my experience in the past, this sounds like a wheel bearing that is just starting to go out. Probably has 1000 miles left but I can hear it not quite feel it.

Has anyone else had this problem, and how would you describe the sensation of what you felt?

I suppose it could be something else, but I don't see anything getting in the way mechanically either in the treads or wheels. I think I'm on the right track, but want to make sure before I bring it in.

Thanks for any input!

Adam

#3 ·
I remember seeing it on the federal recall site. I am up way past my bedtime here in Seattle, I will dig for it tomorrow and try to find the link that I had.

I'm pretty sure it's specifically stated wheelbearings, but I'm getting old. :)

#4 ·
There have been 7 to 10 recalls associated with the 2013 model year. (Select vehicles based on options and how the problem is categorized)

I checked a couple different websites since the GM site where you insert your VIN only tells you whether a new one associated with your car and hasn't been fixed yet)

Keeping You Safe | Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) (Official) *This site has other tabs worthy of reviewing - "Complaints" and the "Manufacturer Communications section"

It is worthy to point out the problems that get posted often become recalls, so feel free to post comments about all the repairs. (perceived as too early!) Recalls are based on empirical data and only that affect safety. Other problems get noticed and sometimes yield special services that you're entitled to receive later on.

The manufacturer Comm section reveals many good answers to half the questions posted on this site btw. For example, someone last week had a "damp floor mat" :

"SUMMARY:
THIS PRELIMINARY INFORMATION COMMUNICATION PROVIDES THE TECHNICIAN WITH THE STEPS TO DIAGNOSE AND REPAIR THE CONCERN OF MILDEW ODOR OR WATER ON FRONT FLOOR ON EITHER SIDE OF THE VEHICLE. TECHNICIAN WILL GAIN ACCESS TO THE FRONT WHEELHOUSE OF THE AFFECTED SIDE. THE FRONT WHEEL HOUSE FLANGE MAY HAVE A VOID IN THE SEALER CAUSING WATER TO LEAK THROUGH AND ACCUMULATE ON THE FLOOR OR WET CARPET WILL BE FOUND. A THUMB GRADE SEALER WILL NEED TO BE PLACED IN THE VOID TO PREVENT THE WATER LEAK INTO THE CABIN."

https://www.cars.com/recalls/chevrolet-malibu-2013/ (Good site)

So please, definitely take the time to fill out the complaint page after an odd maintenance issue or sporadic problem is found. It will help many others as well as yourself. CPS

#5 ·
Hi Adam, check out the "Bad Bearings" thread in "Problems/service" on here, there's a very active conversation going about bad wheel bearings on our Malibus.
Check it out, I guess it's a flaw in Malibus, although this is the first I've heard/read that there's a recall. I hope that's the case because it sounds like GM needs to address it.

#6 ·
OK, so I dug into both questions I had. I subscribe to the NHTSA mailing list and they cast a wide net when reporting problems. For instance I've got notifications for the Goodyears that came with our cars in and I have had probably 20 notifications that had nothing to do with the make/model of tire I have. No idea why that happens.

The same seems to have happened here. The wheel bearing notice I got was for a truck a friend has (I keep track for them). My quick scan along with keeping up with what was going on with others Malibus made it seem exactly my problem..

... which in reality of my Malibu 2013 Eco 2SA was the biggest screw I have every acquired in my left rear tire. I swear it sounded and gave the feel of wheel bearings grinding.... but I was wrong! Thank goodness it was a $15 fix! So this particular thread can be closed on the note that I was waaaaay off on two things. Not my best week.

#8 ·
I don't feel like I'm Scott Free on this account, for sure. My car has just clicked over 30,000 and really have to think that sooner or later I will be in the same boat as all my comrades here. I will continue to try to understand this disaster and hope to help figure out how to make Chevrolet, rightly, make it right for us Chevrolet owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.