Intermittant burning smell out of a/c ducts - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Intermittant burning smell out of a/c ducts

My wife's 2013 Malibu has an intermittant burning smell ( smells like burning brakes/ clutch ) out of a/c ducts with a/c on. It occurs about 2 minutes after a/c is turned and lasts about 2 minutes. It is enough to make anyone in the car sick. Had it to the dealer and they could not duplicate problem. It will do it sitting still so I know it is not a brake problem. It is also not a moldy smell and the car has 10k and this is just the beginning of it's first summer. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 07:38 PM
ASE Certified Technician

Re: Intermittant burning smell out of a/c ducts

Are you using the A/C, or just pulling fresh air in without engaging the A/C?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 06:25 AM
Chevy Representatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffbiker View Post
My wife's 2013 Malibu has an intermittant burning smell ( smells like burning brakes/ clutch ) out of a/c ducts with a/c on. It occurs about 2 minutes after a/c is turned and lasts about 2 minutes. It is enough to make anyone in the car sick. Had it to the dealer and they could not duplicate problem. It will do it sitting still so I know it is not a brake problem. It is also not a moldy smell and the car has 10k and this is just the beginning of it's first summer. Any help would be appreciated.
ruffbiker,

I am sorry that you and your wife are having these concerns. I would like to contact your dealer, so we can try and get your issue resolved. Can you please private message me your name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and the name of the GM dealership you are working with? I look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Sunday

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

I finally got the smell to come out of a/c ducts ( a/c on ) with a tech from dealer in car on the third day I took it there. They took cabin filter out and put it in a plastic bag and left it in the sun for a few hours. When they opened the bag, the smell was horrible. They installed a new cabin filter, and we have not had any more awful smell. They are sending filter to G.M. to have them check filter. What I would like to know is if filter was contaminated at filter factory or by some one on assembly line. We can now enjoy car on a hot day. Thanks to all that tried to help.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:02 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

Wow that is really weird. I wonder what the hell was wrong with that filter?

2015 Impala 2LT
V6 305hp/264tq
Conv PKG
Adv Safety PKG
Sunroof
50/35 Suntek CXP tint

RIP
2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
May 2012-Aug 2015

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 11:28 PM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to chevyorange

When I first got my car the first few weeks I smelled (faintly) burning rubber at the end of trips. I figured it was just new belts & hoses & components breaking in.

There is no more smell after 3k miles.

Jet-Smooth Chevrolet
Built 9/10/2012
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Chevy Representatives

ruffbiker,

I am glad everything was taken care of at the dealership. Enjoy your Malibu!

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service

Available Monday-Sunday

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2013, 09:13 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Garage

The only thing our Malibu has ever smelled like was the new car smell... and well gas after a few Taco Bell runs.

2015 Impala 2LT
V6 305hp/264tq
Conv PKG
Adv Safety PKG
Sunroof
50/35 Suntek CXP tint

RIP
2013 Malibu ECO 1SA PCN pkg
May 2012-Aug 2015

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

This is an update on my wife's 2013 Malibu with intermittant burning smell out of A/C ducts with A/C ON. After the cabin filter was replaced about 2 months ago ( about 3000 miles ago ) the smell has just reappeared. Called dealer, service manager said to come in and he would have cabin filter changed again. Wife went in, filter changed, she drove home the 30 miles. She said to me, " I think the smell is still there". Test drove car with her and duplicated the smell. So I don't believe the problem is bad cabin filters. Called service manager and left message. Tech Paul called and said he would do some research and call back. HELP !!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 09:19 PM
CMF Senior Member

This happened to me today. Although, in my case I was hauling ass to 80 mph while getting up onto the freeway with the A/C set to Auto (not recir).

Yes, it quickly went away...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.