Check Engine Light, Engine Misfire, Flashing Lights, and Low MPG - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Unhappy Check Engine Light, Engine Misfire, Flashing Lights, and Low MPG

I have a 2014 Malibu with just under 6,000 miles (mostly highway) [VIN: 1G11C5SL4EF107999]. I have a series of issues with it - maybe they're all related, maybe not.

Background: A month or two ago the check engine light came on while driving in city traffic. Simultaneously, the auto-stop re-started the engine at a traffic light the car began shuddering violently and wouldn't go above 30 MPG. The dealer reset something in the computer to make it stop. I assumed everything was fine now.

I had my first oil change yesterday at the same dealership.

This morning the check engine light came on in a flashing pattern. I was going about 55 MPH on a flat country road. I drove for about 2 miles and the light then went off. When the light went off, the entertainment system beeped one time (the same tone for the voice control activation alert) and the interior entertainment panel lights grew brighter for a second. When I searched for reasons for a flashing check engine light I read it could be an engine misfire detected?

In addition, I have much lower gas mileage than promised. I'm averaging 26 MPG - instead of the marketed 36. I'm wondering if there could be a larger issue involving the computer or fuel injection system that could explain both the chronic check engine/misfire issue and the low MPG. One dealer told me the MPG issue was due to the temperatures outside and/or from using the remote start. It has warmed up, I've stopped using the remote start and it has not fixed the issue.

Additionally, the interior lights (entertainment panel, etc.) frequently and randomly grow brighter or dim, with no perceivable pattern. I doubt this is due to changes in cloud cover (could the light sensor really be that sensitive?) I'm concerned there's an issue with the sensor or electronics.

Finally - and yes, this is a minor thing compared to the above - the Siri Eyes Free isn't functioning correctly. The phone display still lights up when I interact with the Siri interface, although the other functions seem to work okay.

I've tried getting answers on all these issues from two dealers with no success, and I'm getting very frustrated. The main reasons I gave up my Ford Fusion and switched to Chevy were for the Siri Eyes Free and the MPG, which appear to be moot points right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 11:01 AM
CMF Veteran Member

Re: Check Engine Light, Engine Misfire, Flashing Lights, and Low MPG

Put all your complaints in writing and take it to the dealer. Document everything. The moment a problem pops up, take it in. If you pick up the car and the problem isn't fixed, don't take the car home. Ask for a free rental. You paid for a warranty, use it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 11:35 AM
Chevy Representatives

Hi KKellyMSU,

We are sorry to hear of these concerns you are experiencing with your vehicle! If you could send us a private message, we would be happy to discuss your concerns further. Please include your full contact information and involved dealership's name so we may reach out to them to discuss an action plan. We look forward to assisting.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKellyMSU View Post
I have a 2014 Malibu with just under 6,000 miles (mostly highway) [VIN: 1G11C5SL4EF107999]. I have a series of issues with it - maybe they're all related, maybe not.

Background: A month or two ago the check engine light came on while driving in city traffic. Simultaneously, the auto-stop re-started the engine at a traffic light the car began shuddering violently and wouldn't go above 30 MPG. The dealer reset something in the computer to make it stop. I assumed everything was fine now.

This morning the check engine light came on in a flashing pattern. I was going about 55 MPH on a flat country road. I drove for about 2 miles and the light then went off. When the light went off, the entertainment system beeped one time (the same tone for the voice control activation alert) and the interior entertainment panel lights grew brighter for a second. When I searched for reasons for a flashing check engine light I read it could be an engine misfire detected?

In addition, I have much lower gas mileage than promised. I'm averaging 26 MPG - instead of the marketed 36. I'm wondering if there could be a larger issue involving the computer or fuel injection system that could explain both the chronic check engine/misfire issue and the low MPG. One dealer told me the MPG issue was due to the temperatures outside and/or from using the remote start. It has warmed up, I've stopped using the remote start and it has not fixed the issue.

Additionally, the interior lights (entertainment panel, etc.) frequently and randomly grow brighter or dim, with no perceivable pattern. I doubt this is due to changes in cloud cover (could the light sensor really be that sensitive?) I'm concerned there's an issue with the sensor or electronics.

Finally - and yes, this is a minor thing compared to the above - the Siri Eyes Free isn't functioning correctly. The phone display still lights up when I interact with the Siri interface, although the other functions seem to work okay.

I've tried getting answers on all these issues from two dealers with no success, and I'm getting very frustrated. The main reasons I gave up my Ford Fusion and switched to Chevy were for the Siri Eyes Free and the MPG, which appear to be moot points right now.

Available Monday-Sunday

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 02:49 PM
CMF Senior Member

Problem number 1 and 2 seem to be related, most likely bad ignition coils causing misfires.
Problem number 3. Good luck getting 36mpg out of it. You'll get 36mpg driving on flat pavement at about 60mph without stopping. I can average 32mpg half hwy half city but driving like grandma. I average 23mpg driving at my normal pace.
Problem number 4 happens with mine as well and i am positive that the light sensor is that sensitive in this car. Just use the dimmer to dim the panel lights a bit.
idk about the siri problems I don't own an iPhone.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 03:43 PM
CMF Senior Member

I wish I got 26mpg average!
That's why I put Fuelly.com in my signature below. We live in a rural area and almost never do any city driving. We drive safely and economically.

The EPA rating of the Malibu is 1mpg less than our previous gas turbo Cruze, but we actually get 15mpg LESS with the Malibu under the same driving conditions!

Click the Fuelly link to see our MPG numbers:

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-11-2014, 08:23 PM
CMF Veteran Member

If you want to know what mileage to expect from your Malibu, go to fuelly.com or some other similar site. The numbers the EPA present appear to be bogus. Fuelly says the mileage a 4 cylinder Malibu achieves decreased from 2005 to 2012 and yet the EPA lists a %10 increase. That's a huge error. Perhaps the EPA is pushing better fuel economy to stimulate car sales as big business wants. I don't trust their numbers.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2014, 08:36 AM
CMF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKellyMSU View Post

One thing to keep in mind here: The car should be back in the shop, no exceptions. A flashing CE light indicates an engine misfire, as opposed to a steady light, which could be a whole host of other issues, most not as severe. It's flashing for a reason - don't drive the car anymore. A misfiring engine will eventually damage the emissions control system if driven long enough, and the warranty will fall into a gray area. Even if the misfiring has stopped and the light has stopped flashing, the problem will most likely surface again. Don't worry, the code has been stored, so even if all appears well now, you won't get the we-can't find-anything-wrong line when you bring the car in.

Last edited by EGV1987; 04-12-2014 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.