My not so Certified "Certified Pre-Owened" - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

My not so Certified "Certified Pre-Owened"

So. In October I bought a "Certified Pre-Owned" vehicle from a dealership. Instantly we found that there was an issue. Kinda felt like it needed an Alignment and Balancing. I was given a "We-Owe" for it, but their shop on site was too busy for the service. They set an appointment for two days later at their sister location. This put me outside of my GM issued "150 mile/3 day money back" time frame. Once the "We-Owe" was complete, I found there to still be the same issue. I took it back, and they told me everything was fine. Whatever. I should have never taken it off the lot with an issue.

Now, 90 days out, I am have crazy issues with my car that, and the items are listed on the "172 point check list". My car is at the dealership now, and have yet to get word back. My concern is that the vehicle was never Certified, as it sure as hell wouldn't pass now. I live in Michigan, where I am partially covered by the Lemon law, but I would rather not wait till the 4th trip to the shop, or for my car to be out of commission for 30 days or more. I am curious if anyone has had experience with a bad Certified car, or some advice on what I should do next. I am at a complete loss of what to do now...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-14-2015, 10:19 PM
CMF Senior Member

Re: My not so Certified "Certified Pre-Owened"

Unless Michigan is different, lemon law would not cover a used car.

Timely article posted on Jalopnik today about what it really means to buy a CPO car (the author is a lemon law lawyer based in Michigan).

Last edited by Upthewazzu; 01-14-2015 at 10:21 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:00 AM
CMF Senior Member

Some states, such as NY, have enacted lemon law statutes for used cars. Unfortunately, Michigan is not one of them. According to the Michigan Attorney General's website:

Is there a lemon law on used cars?
No. However, if you purchased your vehicle from a used car dealer, you can file a complaint with the Bureau of Information Security, Regulatory Monitoring Division at 1-888-767-6424.

You may get some relief by filing a complaint with that agency.

Good luck.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 03:27 PM
CMF Senior Member

Happened to me with a different chevy dealership that I no longer go near. Ended up costing me a rear end, and a long list of headaches. Now my firebird is a 2002 but it had a warranty and had a so called 172 point inspection. The car didn't have cats, O2 sensors, plugs and wires where shot. When I took it back and asked for cats and O2 sensors they put O2 sensors drilled into my headers. No cats still, total morons. Point of my story is some places just don't follow that and look past things. My Camaro had about 10 things looked past recently it all depends on the tech. I needed brakes on that, rotors, day time running lights where never re installed. List goes on. Hopefully someone can help with your issues kill them with kindness. Talk to someone high up they might be able to help you.

2014 Chevy Malibu 2LT White
2013 Chevy Cruze LTZ White-K&N Intake
2002 Trans am WS6 Pewter 6 speed-BMR lowered on Koni's, Hooker headers,SLP Y pipe w/cats to loud mouth 2, BMR and UMI suspension mods
2011 Chevy Camaro 2LT RS Victory Red, K&N Typhoon intake,Dynomax UltraFlo exhaust, Pirelli P Zero tires and Blizzaks (Wife's toy)
2006 Cobalt SS supercharged Black-Stage 2,
G85 pkg,Koni's,Borla Full,DC sports header.
1997 Firebird Formula Green Auto
1988 Trans am GTA Maroon 5 speed 305 5.0L
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:39 PM
CMF Junior Member

Sounds like a bad dealership. I work at one in parts and they should bend over backwards if you just bought that car to make sure everything is right especially certified preowned.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-15-2015, 06:55 PM
CMF Senior Member

^^^^ amen to what he said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.