Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

AC smells?

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  peter123wallace 
#1 ·
I just bought a 2013 chevy malibu LS about 2 weeks ago. I noticed that when I start my car and turn the AC on it always smells. Not a burning smell, but just smells. It eventually goes away; however, it always does it when I first turn my AC on. Anyone have any ideas?

#2 ·
You need to ask the dealership (or anyone with a Tech2 scanner) to turn on the "afterblow" feature. This watches the AC in your car while driving. Then after you shut it off and leave, if needed it will run the system blower for a period of time to help the evaporator (the AC part that gets cold) dry the moisture it accumulated. Otherwise this moisture and the heat generated by the refrigerant as the internal pressures equalize will encourage bacteria to grow, which is the source of the smell.

If you can't have it turned on for free, or until you have it turned on, you can help yourself by turning off the AC about a mile or two before arriving home, allowing the blower to run at a medium or faster speed. This will do the same thing as the afterblow feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.