2013 chevy malibu lt 30,000 - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Firebat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

2013 chevy malibu lt 30,000

i recently bought the 2013 chevy malibu with 31000 miles on i had no problems with it for a month today in the morning the check engine light is on and it gives me a stutter when i first try to accelerate like it wants to die it was low on coolant before i filled it up last week,it just seems it hasnt getting better ive been reading about this in the web with no real solution any advice on what to do next other then take it to the mechanic or dealer im out of warranty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:37 PM
CMF Junior Member

Re: 2013 chevy malibu lt 30,000

Just to make sure... Did you use the right coolant as using the wrong one can be bad.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Pascal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 08:20 PM
CMF Rookie Member

Find out what the code is causing the check engine light. Usually any auto parts store will connect a code reader scanner to your car for free. A shutter could be caused by about anything and the code will help narrow it down. Anything from fuel, spark, transmission, sensor, air intake, or exhaust could be the cause.
pascal_poirier likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:24 PM
CMF Senior Member

Garage

Check the water pump & heater core connections. I have 39k & had to have the pump replaced. They wont warranty the hoses even tho its a part defect so I'll be out almost $200 for the pair. So much for extended warranty
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 04:38 PM
CMF Senior Member

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver13 View Post
Check the water pump & heater core connections. I have 39k & had to have the pump replaced. They won't warranty the hoses even though it's a part defect, so I'll be out almost $200 for the repair. So much for extended warranty
Wow, you just made me slightly concerned...I went to check my extended warranty in my drawers, and now I can't find it. I do remember asking about hoses prior to signing and the guy said yes...Now...I realize you should take the paperwork home, read it carefully...and then ultimately - place it somewhere where you won't f'ing misplace it...(while typing - GF says not to worry though since the record is at my dealer...she doesn't get the fact that I am mainly worried about what is NOT covered due to Silver13's post...CPS

2013 Silver Bu
R.I.P beautiful 2009 (March 12th 2013 07:02:28 EDT)
Family members drive Equinox, Ford and Chrysler's
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 04:13 AM
CMF Senior Member

Garage

I was pissed when they said they wont fix the hoses cuz I was told the same thing. Hoses arent leaking due to wear. The hoses shrink clamps are defective on both sides. I need to get it in for the bearing but Im sure they will make yet another excuse
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-14-2017, 06:20 AM
CMF Rookie Member

How are the shrink clamps defective? Just not clamping down tight enough and leaking? You would think an extended warranty would cover everything or at least regular maintenance items like hoses. They must prefer more challenging tasks such as replacing an overheated engine.

I will be swapping out my clamps when the weather gets warmer. I prefer the regular stainless steel bolt down clamps. For me, they are easier to remove. Probably will just throw in hoses myself too. Advance Auto does not seem to carry radiator hoses for my 2013 Malibu. Rock auto's website has both GM AC Delco hoses for $35(plus shipping) or could buy continental (goodyear) brand hoses for $20(plus shipping). One of the continental hoses are cut-to-fit so probably won't do that. I usually replace hoses every 30K-60K miles or 3-5 years on my cars as cheap insurance. I may also get rid of the dexcool too while I'm at it but I need to research that a little more.

Now, back to the other issue. Another thing that may cause stuttering might be an aftermarket K&N oiled air filter. The oil coats the MAF sensor and causes issues. Maybe the coolant sensors aren't reading right and reading heated air. I kind of doubt the 2 issues are related. Need to find those codes.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2017, 07:02 AM
CMF Senior Member

Garage

They is coolant residue on them where they attatch to the heater core. Using coolant thats not dexcool equivalant could cause you more problems down the road. The clamps are part of the hose & youd ruin them trying to get them off. A regular gear clamp wont seal as well as the shrink clamps. Youd prob crush the plastic fitting that connects to the heater core.

I forgot all about checking Rockauto. That'll save some serious cash. The tri hose from the dealer or local parts store is $95

Its sad to cuz I work for a Ford dealership & hose defect is a warranty item.

Last edited by Silver13; 01-15-2017 at 07:10 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 01:29 PM
Chevy Representatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperez024@gmail.com View Post
i recently bought the 2013 chevy malibu with 31000 miles on i had no problems with it for a month today in the morning the check engine light is on and it gives me a stutter when i first try to accelerate like it wants to die it was low on coolant before i filled it up last week,it just seems it hasnt getting better ive been reading about this in the web with no real solution any advice on what to do next other then take it to the mechanic or dealer im out of warranty?
Hi jperez024,

We're sorry to learn of this stutter in your Malibu. We recognize that you are seeking advice from other users, but we would be happy to offer an additional layer of assistance if you do decide to work with your dealership. Please feel free to send us a private message with your contact information, VIN, mileage and dealership.

Best,
Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Available Monday-Sunday

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-30-2017, 09:26 AM
CMF Rookie Member

I had the same problem about 2 months ago at 65k miles. The check engine through the time chain sensor code 9060 I believe. What I found it is it isn't the sensor but the sensor solenoids. I changed the oil to full synthetic, not a blended synthetic (jiffy lube had done an oil change from full to blend and this started happening) and changed the 2 solenoids (they were 30 dollars a piece, replace both instead of one then find out it was the other that was the problem, better safe than sorry) and it only took 10 minutes to replace them both. They are on top of the engine on each side. This fixed my problem and haven't had another issue. I have put 5k+ on the car since this issue and fix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.