Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2013 ECO - Clicking Engine Noise

19K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  etarver76 
#1 ·
2013 Malibu ECO. 59,000 miles on it. Over the weekend, it started making a rapid clicking sound from the engine. Noticeable inside and out of the car. Loudest when at idle. Also, noticed a slightly more rough start, with an extra few cranks before it turns over. When the motor would shut off for the auto start/stop at a light, the noise would cease. All fluids are in their normal ranges and are on schedule for replacements. Battery is a year old. No warnings or notices from the car.

Any similar experiences? Alternator going bad?

#2 ·
My 2.5L has a click that sounds like a plug wire arcing. I noticed it a few weeks happens in the mornings when its colder than 40. Mine comes from a valve or solenoid on the right rear of the motor just under the cover. Ive also noticed a drop in fuel mileage.

#3 ·
2013 Malibu ECO. 59,000 miles on it. Over the weekend, it started making a rapid clicking sound from the engine. Noticeable inside and out of the car. Loudest when at idle. Also, noticed a slightly more rough start, with an extra few cranks before it turns over. When the motor would shut off for the auto start/stop at a light, the noise would cease. All fluids are in their normal ranges and are on schedule for replacements. Battery is a year old. No warnings or notices from the car.

Any similar experiences? Alternator going bad?
Hi Silver13 and BWKennedy,

We understand you are both experiencing noise concerns in your Malibus. We're sorry to hear this, as we understand how it may be frustrating. If you are interested, we'd be happy to reach out to your dealerships to facilitate an appointment so that they can take a look. Please just private message us your contact information, VIN, mileage and preferred dealer.

Best,
Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

#6 ·
I just bought a used 2013 Malibu ECO that I LOVE! But I did notice a sound coming from motor right under the hood when it is just sitting at idle. Drives perfect and handles perfect. I didn't know with it being a hybrid if it is normal for it to have some type of noise between the gas motor and electric both running. It went through a 125 point inspection before I bought it and everything checked out ok. Just curious if this is possibly a normal sound.

#7 ·
Hi abrokendesign,

Congratulations on your new purchase! We're glad to hear how much you like it, but we see you're experiencing a noise concern as well. Please know that we are here and happy to help by serving as a liaison between you and your dealership. Don't hesitate to reach out with a private message if we can be of assistance.

Kindly,
Lauren E.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.