Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replace 2013 1LT cabin air filter

14K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  sc2dave 
#1 ·
Hi,

I know where the cabin filter is located. I can get the glove box to release from the sides of the compartment and drop partway down however I cannot get it to drop low enough to replace the air filter.

How do I release the door so that it will drop all the way down. I have searched Google and can find nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Craig

#5 ·
I have a problem with being able to open the DOOR to the Cabin Filter ! It seems like the Lower Dash is not installed properly and is not aligned correctly. When I try to open the Cabin Filter Door, it can't be opened because the plastic Lower Dash interferes with it on the Right Side of the Door. It looks like there's a plastic clip that is supposed to interlock and slide into the metal behind it but it is obviously misaligned. Does anyone know how to remove this piece so I can get it in there properly so I can open the Damn Cabin Filter Door ? ;)

#7 ·
I know exactly what you mean, I had that problem as well. I think the design should have allowed more room for the black plastic cover to move freely. Just apply some force and bend the plastic, you should be able to get the filter out. The problem is, the plastic feels so flimsy as if it will snap any second.

#8 ·
Well, the Glove Box Door frame, the piece that the actual Glove box hinges to and that the Light switch is mounted to, is what the problem is. It blocks the Cabin Filter Door from being pulled down so I can remove the actual Filter. It sticks out in the Door path about a half inch and is IMPOSSIBLE to bend the Cabin Filter Door enough to remove the Filter. It seems like that whole frame needs to be pushed over to the RIGHT but it won't budge.

#9 ·
Yes I know. So what I did was get a long & thin screw driver and push the light colored plastic cover at the top upward with my hand. Then with the screw driver I opened the latch in the center of the air filter cover. Once that is open, you will need to the force the right side of the air filter cover past the plastic which is blocking. Just bend the cover to the left and try to move it past the plastic which is blocking the right corner. Its crazy I know I thought it was not possible either.

#10 ·
Well, I did remove the Filter today but that is the most stupid design I've ever seen to remove a Serviceable Item that the owner should be able to perform without Magic. In so doing, I actually BROKE the Left Hand Tab on the Filter Door because there is NO CLEARANCE to get that TAB past the plastic frame on the LEFT SIDE to allow the Door to be HORIZONTAL ! The Door with the Tabs is WIDER than the Plastic frame it has to Clear so the Door will be able to open. It's ok, now with one less Tab, I can now remove the filter. It all goes back and the door closes fine with the Top and Right Hand Tabs. Thanks for the help but I'm surprised there aren't many more complaints about this "Jerry Rigged" Design ! I think when the weather gets warmer, I may do some redesigning to that Plastic Frame. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.