Adding OEM fog lights - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 574
Adding OEM fog lights

I've been able to easily find the parts to install some factory fogs on my LS. My question... Is there wiring at the bumper and in the dash for the different switch?

Thanks for any insight.
TenTwelve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 09:52 AM
ASE Certified Technician
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Souderton, PA
Posts: 3,075
Re: Adding OEM fog lights

probably all the wiring will need to be run. It might be at the dash but everywhere else it will not be there.
Rodents is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 574
Re: Adding OEM fog lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post
probably all the wiring will need to be run. It might be at the dash but everywhere else it will not be there.
How can I find out how much of the harness I'd need?
TenTwelve is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 10:39 AM
ASE Certified Technician
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Souderton, PA
Posts: 3,075
Re: Adding OEM fog lights

Start pulling it apart. Most of the time anymore, there are not too many instances where wiring is supplied from the factory for options the vehicle doesn't have. Assuming the underhood fuse block has the required terminals for the relay and the fuse for the fog lamps, you need to run wiring to the BCM, for relay control, you'd need a switch, part of the headlamp switch by the schematics, and then the wiring to the lamps themselves. Then you'd need to have the BCM reprogrammed for the fog lamps as well. That might be the hard part. Never tried it outside of installing a factory accessory kit. There's an authorization number that comes with the kit and we use that for getting the software changed. Now this would be what I've done in the past for a Cruze. Cruze no longer needs that programming so maybe the gen 8 Malibu BCM is ready to go, maybe not, I don't know that, never been down that road. The wiring you need to do is all fabrication, not factory harnesses.
Rodents is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 574
Re: Adding OEM fog lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodents View Post
Start pulling it apart. Most of the time anymore, there are not too many instances where wiring is supplied from the factory for options the vehicle doesn't have. Assuming the underhood fuse block has the required terminals for the relay and the fuse for the fog lamps, you need to run wiring to the BCM, for relay control, you'd need a switch, part of the headlamp switch by the schematics, and then the wiring to the lamps themselves. Then you'd need to have the BCM reprogrammed for the fog lamps as well. That might be the hard part. Never tried it outside of installing a factory accessory kit. There's an authorization number that comes with the kit and we use that for getting the software changed. Now this would be what I've done in the past for a Cruze. Cruze no longer needs that programming so maybe the gen 8 Malibu BCM is ready to go, maybe not, I don't know that, never been down that road. The wiring you need to do is all fabrication, not factory harnesses.
Damn that sounds complicated. Ugggh...
TenTwelve is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 01:52 PM
ASE Certified Technician
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Souderton, PA
Posts: 3,075
Re: Adding OEM fog lights

Yeah, sorry, that's how it is anymore. Every year it seems to get more complicated. It's tough even in a dealership like I am. The info I have to work with isn't always accurate or complete, we're on a 'need to know basis and we don't need to know' some things evidently. Todays cars work on different levels depending on factory option content so adding something seemingly simple isn't as easy as it should be or used to be. For example adding a factory navigation radio to a non factory equipped car isn't done. I'm not saying adding the fog lights can't be done, it's not going to be easy or cheap to do it with factory parts. I can help you with terminals and wiring diagrams if you can get someone to cooperate and get the BCM setup done. I'm not actually sure what needs to be done with the BCM, if anything. I would need a donor vehicle to find out and I don't have a spare gen 8 hanging around right now.
Rodents is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Administrator
 
DrivenDaily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 11,885
Garage
Re: Adding OEM fog lights

An alternate choice is to install the fog lamps, add a "regular" switch in the cabin that controls a "regular" relay under the hood that turns them on and off. Simple, inexpensive, and likely to last years and years without an issue!


'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down


Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2013, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 574
Re: Adding OEM fog lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenDaily View Post
An alternate choice is to install the fog lamps, add a "regular" switch in the cabin that controls a "regular" relay under the hood that turns them on and off. Simple, inexpensive, and likely to last years and years without an issue!
Yeah, I was thinking of doing just that but, I was thinking I could still use a stock switch and just tap the harness for relay control. I'm fairly decent with wiring.

Oh, and Rodents thanks for the additional info. I may definitely hit you up for diagrams and pin-outs.
TenTwelve is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 02:16 AM
Administrator
 
DrivenDaily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 11,885
Garage
Re: Adding OEM fog lights

The stock switch is momentary so you'll need to find or devise a circuit that'll flip flop on actuation, but that'll also keep the stock look.


'11 LTZ, born Aug 2010, Fairfax, KS

V6/A6, Red Jewel Tintcoat / Cocoa-Cashmere, Sunroof
Mods: WeatherTech mats, CHMSL Pulser

How-to: LEDs in mirrors :: How-to: 1-Wipe Wash
How-to: Remote express windows up/down


Traded: '09 2LT Black Granite Metallic V6 / A6 at 20,058 miles
Lost: '11 LTZ RJT V6 / A6 in flood at 44K miles
Muffler mod on '09
DrivenDaily is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 08:37 AM
CMF Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 242
Re: Adding OEM fog lights

Use the stock switch and a "latching relay" you can buy one anywhere they sell car alarm stuff.
2013 LTZ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how to wired oem fog lights using factory switch jjchannels Do It Yourself Maintenance (Generations 5 & 6) 3 03-15-2013 04:18 AM
Add OEM fog lights to LS jtblazeltw Modifications (Generation 7) 91 09-18-2012 05:00 AM
make it so your fog lights stay on when turn brite lights on kyleer Modifications (Generation 7) 5 06-05-2011 02:53 PM
Adding OEM Remote Start nhraman Modifications (Generation 7) 3 12-11-2010 01:23 PM
Adding Fog lights to 06 lt? Talamantez Modifications (Generations 5 & 6) 3 08-22-2010 08:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome