Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

TRIFECTA presents: Chevrolet Malibu Turbo 2.0T (LTG) MY2013+ Powertrain Calibration

99K views 349 replies 62 participants last post by  Mynewbu87 
#1 · (Edited)
TRIFECTA presents: Chevrolet Malibu Turbo MY2013+ Powertrain Calibration Reprogramming

TRIFECTA presents a complete powertrain power delivery profile recalibration for the MY2013--2015 Chevrolet Malibu Turbo 2.0T LTG engine and corresponding 6T70 automatic transmission reprogramming. The TRIFECTA Performance Chevrolet Malibu Turbo 2.0T MY2013--2015 powertrain calibration is an easy to install software performance recalibration with an included flash loader device that will yield specific power increases of +83 ft-lbs and +62 WHP (Peak vs peak gains of +38 ft-lbs and +66 WHP) to a completely stock Chevrolet Malibu Turbo 2.0T MY2014.
View this product in our Store!

^ Image links to WOT-Tuning.com since we cannot embed the video here.

The TRIFECTA Advantage Powertrain Recalibration for the MY2013--2015 Chevrolet Malibu Turbo includes a TRIFECTA flash loader.

Specifications of the TRIFECTA Performance Chevrolet Malibu MY2013--2015 2.0T LTG ECM software reprogramming:

-Specific power increases of +83 ft-lbs and +62 WHP under the curve (Peak vs Peak gains of +38 ft-lbs and +66 WHP on 91 octane)
-Powertrain calibration has been tested and validated for various environments, such as cold/heat, elevation, and variations in fuel quality
-Extended testing of more than 100,000 miles with 100 hrs + of wide open throttle testing
-Power feels linear and immediately responsive
-Retains all GM OE diagnostics and ECM functionality
-Retains all OE error code reporting and functionality
-Emissions readiness checks are present; emissions compliant
-Maintains functionality of ABS and TC systems
-Knock detection mechanisms and OE engine knock detection sensitivity is retained
-With the current generation of TRIFECTA's flash loader solutions and the TRIFECTA Transparency featureset, when flashing your vehicle, the TRIFECTA flash loader does not increment the ECM write counter or increment entries in the flash history
-Return to stock functionality included with flash loader

Specifications of the TRIFECTA Performance MY2013--2015 Chevrolet Malibu Turbo 6T70 6-Speed automatic transmission TCM calibration software reprogramming:

-Supplementary 6T70 transmission TCM reprogramming compliments the ECM reprogramming and completes the TRIFECTA Powertrain Calibration: designed to work in unison with the ECM reprogramming for optimized performance
-Improved shift times in adverse shift patterns
-Improved shift logic
-Does not shorten transmission life or increase cooling requirements
-Retains all OE diagnostics and TCM functionality
-Retains all OE error code reporting and functionality
-Improved fuel economy with improvements made to torque converter slip profiles

Installation Notes:

-Estimated installation time of ~20 minutes
-Premium fuel is recommended, but not required

Additional information and availability:

-This powertrain calibration includes a TRIFECTA powertrain calibration file specific to your vehicle and includes a flash loader device
-Powertrain calibrations currently exist for the US, CA, EU, and Asia areas, with more regions to follow
-The TRIFECTA Advantage Calibration is designed for a 100% stock vehicle. Any aftermarket hardware designed to work on a stock vehicle may work without issue, but there is no official support for it with this calibration.

See less See more
#3 ·
Hello,

Correct. The flashloader is the proprietary EZ Flash cable needed for the install.

#6 ·
So those numbers while they do sound impressive, leave me with some concern. This mod is talking about a grand total of 325HP and 333FPTQ. is it just me or does that seem like ALOT of power being pushed out of a 2.0L four cylinder?? Just wondering what this is gonna do to the engine and transmission on my $35,000 car Ya know?
let's be honest here I'm going to pull the trigger on this regardless. I trifecta tuned a sonic turbo and that thing turned into a quick little car. but alittle reassurance would be nice. I'm worried about the auto transmission handling this.

#8 ·
The power isn't an issue for the engine. GM used to offer a warranty-retaining stage kit that brought the 1st gen 2.0T over 300 hp and 330 lb-ft. If there's any weak spot, it's the transmission, because the 6T70 is rated 315 hp and 280 lb-ft of torque. From what I read, they adjusted the torque of the new engine to 295 lb-ft (up from 260) after further testing.

Vince of trifecta, who wrote the Malibu tune, owns the Malibu that was used as a guinea pig. I heard his car has a more aggressive tune than they sell, and he is convinced the tune is completely safe.

Take that information and make your own conclusions.

#10 ·
LHU is the first gen 2.0T (it was used in Regals built prior to 2014). That's a derivative of the stage kit they used to offer on the Cobalt SS and Pontiac Solstice GXP. It's not compatible with the new engine.

#12 ·
Vegas will do that to ya...

#17 ·
Just purchased a 2013 and am very interested. My only concern is if I throw a check engine light or have any issues will the dealership be able to see the ECU has been tuned even after I restore it back to factory settings with the flash cable? Would hate to void my extended warranty of a car I haven't made my first payment on.

Traded my 2014 2LT RS manual on it. Previous car was a E39 540i with 293hp 320lbs and would love that power back without the 13mpg!

Attachments

#20 ·
Ouch, we touch the 30's (F) a handful of times a year and might see "snow" once every 5 or 6 years or so.

But Im not a fan of the cold at all, grew up in NYC and I'm permanently scared. It's definitely worth the 5% tint to battle the 6-8 months of 90°+ and 100% humidity.

#21 ·
Hey Guys!

I reached out to a member offering him a demo for the 2.0T, but never heard back. I've got one demo authorized for this platform. I'm looking for an owner with an unmodified Malibu 2.0T.

First one to PM us, gets a free demo to try out :)

#23 ·
Tag! You're it! ;)

PM sent :)

looking forward to working with you!

#31 · (Edited)
Installed and drove around for roughly half an hour last night. Here are my first impressions. I'll report back with more details as I do more testing.

1st and 2nd gear now pull hard as hell. The most noticeable difference for me is how much quicker each gear revs up, especially in the lower gears. The throttle response is quite a bit more sensitive and the turbo seems to spool up faster. Manual mode now allows for higher revs while shifting instead of getting the buzzkill "Shift Denied" pop up on anything over 6k RPM.

#32 ·
Awesome! Glad to hear you got it installed. Its quite the difference :)

#35 ·
FWHP at best on these cars...

#37 ·
There isn't anything misleading about the product. Once you actually add the package to your cart the price will change to reflect $329 in the cart.

#39 ·
I'm considering purchasing this for my new '15 Malibu. I'm pretty new to all this tuning business so I have a few questions. Please bare with my (probably) stupid questions.
-I understand that if GM deems a Powertrain issue as a result of the tune, then my warranty is voided. Is there anyway to show that my car has not been tuned? Will loading the stock functionality not show that is has been tuned?
-If I were to install an intake in the future, how does that effect the tune?

Thanks in advance!

#41 · (Edited)
After a entire weekend of hooning and getting used to the sensitive throttle I am thoroughly impressed with the tune. It basically took every little annoyance I had with the car away. Namely the hesitation to shift while trying to pass at highway speeds.

The installation process was stupid easy. After downloading the required files all you have to do to launch the program with the EZflash cable connected to the OBDII port and select your tune. The whole process took me around 15 minutes but YMMV. I have not experienced any warning lights.

If you have an aftermarket short ram the induction note will sound much meatier. It also made the blow off sound hilariously loud. I am guilty of spooling the turbo just to scare innocent pedestrians in downtown. ;):D

Overall I cannot recommend this enough. I tried flashing back to the stock tune and the difference is undeniable. The car feels nothing like its stock form. Acceleration feels more "continued" whereas the stock tune had more "gaps" during sprints. With the increased peddle sensitivity and quicker boost the car now feels very nimble in traffic. The bump in torque can be felt throughout the whole power band, most apparent in the lower gears.

Surprisingly my mileage hasn't been impacted too much. I reset my MPG over the weekend and got 20.8 MPG(21.7 prior to the tune). Considering I launched from every single stop light, the MPG is pretty much unaffected.

However I did experience a minor hiccup that may not be related to the tune. I was getting some very rough down shifts in auto mode while driving around town. It felt like when the car was brand new and had to learn my driving pattern. The good news is that the shifting problems seems to have gone away after the first few days.

I would like to thank WOT-Tuning for transforming my car into what it should have been out the factory; Kudos to the friendly staff(Michael) that were very assuring and helpful for a noobie like me.

Please feel free to ask me any questions regarding the tune. I will answer them to the best of my abilities. :)

Disclaimer: WOT-Tuning did not offer any incentives for a positive review. I was given a demo speed limited version of the tune along with the cable.

This post has been deleted
#51 ·
Anything that is not stock on your vehicle could void your warranty. That being said, our calibration is transparent. The write counter remains stock and never increments. All CVN and check sum entries remain factory as well. If they read the ECM it would look stock.

However, we always recommend flashing back to stock, something that can be easily done via our software, before a dealer visit.

#50 ·
I have finally gotten around to install my new calibration for my malibu from WOT-Tuning, here are my first impressions as of so far. (more to come after more seat time)

The installation was really straight forward, at first I was a little worried about only having push button start and no way to turn the key on engine off but I just pressed the button without pressing the brake pedal and it came on and worked fine.

After having installed it I decided it was time for a drive (of course). Driving through my subdivision is only 15mph speed limit and I am a good 3/4 of a mile in, so low speed practically no throttle and the car performed just as normal. Once out on the side road to get to the highway, I turned out of the subdivision and just eased into the throttle to around 1/4 throttle or less and this car came alive, I had a grin from ear to ear and knew then and there that this purchase was completely worth it. It came on boost almost imediatly and set me back in my seat, the response of the engine is very crisp and it takes considerably less throttle to get it up and going than before.

Once out on the highway I proceded to get into the throttle a little more (maybe half throttle) to get to crusing speed, and before I even knew it I looked down and I was going 80mph... The car is a completely new vehicle and I cant hardly believe that the tune brought this much life out of a stock car.

I drove the vehicle to work and back which is 50 miles each way with a little highway and the rest 2 lane blacktop roads in the country with plenty of curves. I noticed right away that it takes very little effort to go 65mph, I know it doesnt explain much but I always thought this car took too much pedal to go 65 before. Coming out of a turn and getting into the throttle rockets this thing out of the corner and is on boost instantly.

So far, I cannot recommend this enough to someone looking to do this to your car. It really makes the car a joy to drive and its the way the car SHOULD have been from the factory. If your on the fence about doing it...DO IT...you WILL NOT be disappointed.

Future MPG updates will come, I only have about 150 miles seat time with it currently.

#52 · (Edited)
Hey excellent! Glad to hear you are enjoying the calibration. It really does wake up the vehicle and provides a more enjoyable daily driving experience.

This same engine is in the Cadillac ATS and the Buick Regal GS. We theorize that GM didn't want to cut in to the performance they offer and market on the ATS platform. We suppose they also figured that the customers buying the Malibu T would be your 'normal' daily drivers and so they kept the tuning mild.

Isn't nice to find out it can perform just as well as the ATS power-wise? :)

#55 · (Edited)
I actually unplugged my cable in between the ecu and PCM flash, BY ACCIDENT. Thought it said it was done. A bunch of lights on and chimes and I $hit a brick. Flashed it back to stock, then flashed the tune again and all was good in the world.

So give that a trying before flipping out just yet... Lol

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.