Changing DRL from headlamps to amber fog lights (Tur signal lights) - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
CMF Rookie Member

Changing DRL from headlamps to amber fog lights (Tur signal lights)

I am fairly new to the forum, but did do a search, and found no info. Does anyone know how to change the DLR from the head lamps to the amber fog lights. I do not have lower fog lights, but though about putting the LED strips along the chrome trim in the bumper.

How would I do either of these? Could I do both? Amber and lower fogs?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 12:46 PM
CMF Senior Member

Garage
re: Changing DRL from headlamps to amber fog lights (Tur signal lights)

The issue you run into with DRL and Halogen headlights, the low beam is the DRL using PWM (pulse width modulation) or reduced voltage from the BCM (body control module). When the light sensor on the dash detects darkness, PWM ceases and the low beam gets full B+ voltage from the BCM.

I don't know for sure, but you might run into an amperage issue through the BCM if you connected your fog lights to the low beam. Your fog lights would have DRL PWM voltage until dark, then full brightness. IIRC, the LED strip around the fog light connects to its own power source and is triggered by the DRL. I don't know if the DRL signal is enough to trip the relay.

Check for fog light DRL posts. I plan to add LED fog light housings in the future. My car came with the fog lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drl.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	39218  

2015 Malibu LTZ Silver Ice Metallic

"Make yourself necessary to somebody." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by SCompRacer; 06-30-2016 at 01:15 PM. Reason: add image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.