Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ICE POSSIBLE - Sensor or Temperature?

48K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  DOACanada 
#1 ·
Morning All...

Well it was a brisk 2 degrees celcius (36 F) this morning. I noticed something interesting.

I originally thought that the ICE POSSIBLE warning that is shown on the DIC is based on an external sensor. However I am beginning to think that this is not the case.

I park my car in my garage (all the time) and this morning while leaving for work, I noticed that we got some frost last night. No big deal I think to myself. Atleast I don't have to scrape my car off. LOL

Well as I am driving and the car is beginning to pick up the real outside temperature, I notice that the outside temp dipped to 2 degrees celcius.

Almost as soon as this happned as it was on the off chance I actually saw it change temp, ICE POSSIBLE warning came up on the DIC.

My question is, I thought it was an external sensor that denoted the presence of ice, and that it was not based on the temp, however now I am thinking that really it just basis's it off the outside ambient temp.

Thoughts????

See less See more
#11 ·
Bill...

LOL Good Point, I guess it all depends on when you have that first cup of coffee!

Yury - Thank you for translating for our american friends. :O) . It's OK, you have been here long enough, we consider you a Canadian now ;O)

Zeev - Certainly will have to meet up, would love to see your Bu'

#12 ·
I'm pretty sure it's entirely based on the outside temperature reading. I haven't searched in the 08's manual, but both the 07 Av and the 07 Trailblazer manuals stated that when the temperature drops below xx degrees this message will be displayed briefly, or something to that effect. I didn't list the temperature because I can't remember the number for sure, but maybe something like 37F? The reason it comes on above 32F is because air temp can be higher than that and roadways can still freeze up, especially bridges and overpasses.

#13 ·
I'm pretty sure it's entirely based on the outside temperature reading. I haven't searched in the 08's manual, but both the 07 Av and the 07 Trailblazer manuals stated that when the temperature drops below xx degrees this message will be displayed briefly, or something to that effect. I didn't list the temperature because I can't remember the number for sure, but maybe something like 37F? The reason it comes on above 32F is because air temp can be higher than that and roadways can still freeze up, especially bridges and overpasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.