Chevrolet Malibu Forums banner

Steering/front suspension noises/clunks thread.

403K views 553 replies 153 participants last post by  Dawnaelmarie 
#1 · (Edited)
Since we keep getting multiple threads on this topic, thought it would be best to make a sticky so we can get all information in one place. So any of the "common" steering/front suspension issues you may have should be discussed in here.

These issues can be front end clunks, rattles, odd noises, weird steering sensations etc.

For reference, here is the old thread on the topic.
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1748

#373 ·
Keeping a log might be a really good idea. As it grows you may want to talk to a lawyer about the lemon laws in your state. Every once in a while a car rolls off the assembly line and just never works right. I hope that's not true in your case but it can happen. A couple owners/members have exercised that option and gotten out of their cars, and one recently (finally) bought a Toyota to replace his.

I'm not saying you need to run away from your car, but keep on top of it, like they say, and explore your options.

Let us know what happens, too, so we'll all benefit from your experience.

#375 ·
@TylerJames. I apologize for the time delay in getting with you about your concerns with your vehicle. If you haven't gone to the dealership yet, I recommend requesting to take either the service manager or technician for a ride so you can show them what you're experiencing. Please, let me know how things are going and once again, accept my apologies for the time delay.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

#376 ·
I think my 06 malibu LT may need a new INTERMEDIATE STEERING SHAFT. Can anyone let me know the latest parts number please? 20821325,20938080 or 25962603?
Is the A-1 CARDONE Part # 1C1005S also good?
Is there any extended warranty for 06 malibu LT to cover the shaft,rack,column? I received a letter from GM about steering assist giving out and had coil replaced. But about the clunk noise, the dealer told me that it's normal and no extended warranty to cover this.
Thanks.

#378 ·
Ok dropped my car off at the dealership tonight. Two issues P0013 on my check engine light and for the famed front end noise. 09 with 48k on it and I have the GMPP warranty. Had a tech ride with me and said it sounded like the strut. Then he began telling me about the problems with them and the complaints. Very interesting a tech and writer both admitted there are many complaints about this.

We will see what happens tomorrow and I will post back with my results.

#382 ·
Just picked the car up and it's quiet! Replaced the RFControl arm because of a loose ball joint. It's as quiet as it was upon delivery when it had 156 miles on it.

#384 ·
And now to add another issue to my list!

Just returned from a movie and the vent controls will not work... Not even after another engine cycle (I did this thinking the auto setting had something to do with it).

I can't figure out why this stuff keeps failing on a 2011 car under 30K miles!

--Back to topic--

I have been trying to make sure I pay attention to when the front end clunking (driver's side) is occurring. Doesn't matter the size of the bump - can even be a repaired crack, the clunking is there. Also doesn't need to be a bump - the road can be a bit 'shaky' and I can hear it.

Anyone know why a strut mount would keep going kaput after 100 miles? So is it worth having it fixed under warranty if it is to go bad after 100 miles?

Have a good night,

T

#385 ·
Hello TylerJames,

Yes, especially because your vehicle is still under warranty. I would recommend taking into your dealership and having them diagnose this issue with the strut mount noise.

Hopefully, they will be able to get it figured out and fixed for you. If you would like for me to schedule a service appointment at your dealership, I would be glad to. If so, please private message me your VIN, name, contact phone number, current mileage and your preferred dealership.

Vanessa
GM Customer Service (assisting Michelle)

#386 ·
To all the people experiencing the clunking frontend, I wish I could say there is a fix but I have come to the conclusion an inherent design flaw is to blame. My sturt assemblies have been changed 3 times with nary a change. I drove a 2012 Chevy Orlando, the frontend made the same sounds. My car produces the noise going over rippled surface where the ripples come in high frequency(closely spaced ripples) or on a lightly undulating smooth surface you can hear a faint lumpy sound emanating from the front. My car has done this from the 1st it was driven off the lot. By the way the steering rack and intermediate shaft have been changed, this eliminated another clunk I had and a clicking produced over speedbumps. It is shameful especially after driving a 2013 Sonic that had an extremely quiet suspension. It was a loaner car from the dealer. Also, I test drove a 2013 Fusion, not a noise, actually, the ride was on the best I experienced in a long time. I also had a loaner 2013 Malibu, I think it is butt ugly, but it drove well, no suspension noise, road noise I didn't find a dramatic difference from my 2010, however the 2013 Fusion beat them all.

#387 · (Edited)
My clunk is back with less than 300 miles it goes back to the dealership this week.

EDIT: Called the dealer this morning, said "we have to determine the clunk before I know whether or not you'll be charged your GMPP deductible again." Let's see, if it was misdiagnosed the first time, there should be no deductible, right? It still has the same exact noise! That's the way it was when I was service writing just a little over 2 years ago at a Pontiac dealership.

Anyways, depending how this dealer and GM solve this problem will honestly hinge on whether or not I ever buy another GM vehicle. My wife's 2012 Cruze has a horrible 6 spd automatic transmission but thankfully we are leasing that, plus all of the issues with this car in the past 3 years. It's really sad. I know other makes/brands have issues as well, it's just disenchanting when you have been loyal to one brand for so long and you cannot have the vehicle fixed to operate as designed.

I think it's sad I turned in a 1997 Lumina with 180k for this, and that car had no suspension noise with all original parts?

Stay tuned, I drop it off later.

#389 · (Edited)
Yes, dropped the car off last night and had a tech ride with me again. As we pulled out of service he goes I just heard it. This was the same tech that rode with me last week but did not work on the car last. He went in and told the writer it sounded like a bad strut, which was my diag as well. Writer said he would be in touch today.

So this was 5:30 last night for an 8 am appointment today. Received a call at noon car was assigned to a tech but not in the door yet. 3 pm I get a call that they cannot duplicate the noise and that the tech who listened last night called in sick today. Told me to come get it. I said that I was not taking the car back so they gave me a rental. They are hoping the tech will not call in tomorrow so it can be fixed.

Can't say I'm thrilled but I will let them fix it then I will talk to the service manager. In three years my family has purchased five cars there (two mine)and had them serviced there as well. This has been a very disappointing situation. I will keep you posted for sure!

#390 ·
Sounds like Sutliff Chev.in Harrisburg. Even if they replace the Strut and mount, the noise will return in about 100 miles.My strut and mount was replaced (at another dealer) and the noise returned in about 100 miles. You will read the same from others on this Forum.

#396 ·
My '11 makes the 'empty plastic milk jug dropped three inches onto a cement floor' muted sound from the LF on low-speed bumps. Annoying. At 14K miles had it in for that and they replaced a 'worn' control arm bushing on that side. My wife drives the car 95% of the time, but last night (at 22K miles) I'm hearing the same noise, same side of the car, so it's either another control-arm bushing or something else entirely. Grrrrrrr. At 8,269 miles the trans was removed from the car and several new internal parts installed, so who knows if they got it put back together correctly up front. Very frustrating for a 2011 model automobile.

#398 ·
@AuditorBill, I’m sorry to read about the concerns you’ve had and are currently go through with your 2011 Malibu. I apologize on behalf of Chevrolet as we realize you don’t expect to have things happen when you purchase a new vehicle.

When are you planning to take the car back to the dealership? If you would like assistance with setting an appointment please, let me know.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

#399 ·
Wow. I didn't know this was such an epidemic with these cars. My wife use to drive a Pontiac that had this issue when it was cold, so I just wrote it off last year when my Malibu started doing the same thing. My 2010 Malibu LT1 will make the clunking noise from the suspension after being exposed to cold temps for at least 4-8 hours. After I drive it for 20 or so minutes, the noise goes away. I guess I'll be contacting my dealer/Chevrolet to see what can be done about this. Does anyone know if this poses any safety issues or if it's just an annoyance issue?

#401 ·
Car just returned from being at the dealership this morning.

From my previous list of issues, the vent being "stuck" on defrost was a loose connection for the actuator. Fixed and tested OK.

They actually heard the noise in the front end I am hearing! After they tested it, they think it may be strut and strut assembly. Special part ordered. Should be at the dealership Fri/Mon then it goes back. The service guy said that if this isn't the issue, they will look at other possibilities. The service guy also commented on how many times my Bu has been in lately. He says most of their cars do not come back and I must have got the luck of the draw on this one. Oh well, I am just happy I haven't had issues with engine/tran. like some have had.

In other news, when my car went in, I was able to drive a 2011 Tahoe LTZ for the day (family business vehicle). Very nice ride!

Thanks,

T

#404 ·
Car picked up from dealership approx. 30 minutes ago. And clean too! I will be writing great feedback when that email comes.

Replaced both front struts and strut assemblies. It says "Performed Bulletin 13-03-08-001."

On drive home - I thought I heard it once, but it may be psychosomatic :)

The real tell will be when I take it over the ripply road in the morning on my way to work.

I looked at the struts - looks more like an impala strut now.

Anyways, I will update everyone tomorrow on how it goes.

Thanks,

T

#405 ·
Only issue Ive had with mine since Ive got it is a warped rotor, but that doesn't come as a surprise to me.. Same old routine, warp them as hard as you can and then get them machined and then repeat the process when you're forced to buy new ones. Continual problem that Ive had with almost all GM Vehicles except my moms G6 which has been flawless aside from a few aesthetic things falling apart, like an AC vent popping off, etc.

To be fair though I got mine at approx 65k KM and it's only got 72? on it now.

#407 ·
Well so far so good!

Just got hammered with about 7 inches of snow and not it is all the iced over stuff. I'm sure if I didn't have those replaced, I would be "rockin to the knockin" on those old ones :)

Anyways, I will keep my "ears" on it in the event that it decides to return.

Thanks!

T

#408 ·
I recently had the right front strut replaced, and heard the clunk on the first turn out of the dealership. That was 5,000 miles ago. I just had it back in Wednesday for the clunk again, and this time they replaced the steering shaft. I will pick it up today and report back with any findings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.