I have read a number of reviews that say the rear visibility
on the 2013 Malibu is a potential problem for some. Can anyone comment on this

Thanks

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-23-2012, 10:14 AM

Thanks

I haven't come across posts about the rearview of the 2013 Malibu. However, we do put the rearview camera on the 2013 Malibu Eco 2SA as a standard feature.

I have had a chance to take this vehicle for a test drive and I found the rear camera wonderful.

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

nutcrunch
05-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Drove the loaner 2013 Malibu over to the dealers to pick up our new 2013 Malibu and yea the back is kind of hard to see behind you. Glad we got the back up camera for my wife hehe.

MrRichRod
05-23-2012, 05:54 PM

Thanks

If it's any consolation I think it's pretty tough seeing out the back of the Gen. 7. But that's not what you asked, but perhaps it runs in the "family."

Welcome to the forum! We hope you'll buy one and stick around a while! :)

MarcZSport
05-24-2012, 06:05 AM
With a month of driving under my belt, I can't say that rear visibility is all that bad (although in my case I'm comparing it to a 2009 Impala and various Camaros that I have previously owned). It's certainly a relative thing, based on what you're used to. That being said, the backuP camera IS handy...

USA1fan
05-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Can anyone provide a comparison between the Gen7 and Gen8 cars' rearward visibility? The camera is something I would've liked on my 08 LTZ, even though I've adjusted to mostly using the mirrors since owning it.

nutcrunch
05-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Well the 2013 is gen 8 I think but I can give you a comparison of the gen 6. We had a 2006 and it seemed much easier to see out of it from the back and sides. Maybe I just need to get used to this new car though.
I drove our 2013 around about 50 miles tonight on the highway and out in the country and I have to be honest it seemed harder to see out of it plus the headlights didn't seem to be that bright on an old country road.

DrivenDaily
05-26-2012, 03:22 AM
Headlights might need a slight tweak upward. Some Gen7 owners have reported lousy vision at night as well, but most (IIRC) were able to adjust the lights just a little and see quite well. My Gen7 puts plenty of light on the roadway but I've been tempted to raise them a smidgen.

Gen7 started the smaller rear window that continues to the 2013 Gen8, plus they added head restraints that obscure even more. My solution was to pull the restraints and place them in the trunk. A lot more visibility with just that move! Getting used to using mirrors was easy since I've driven pickup trucks and other cars with poor rear visibility and I almost never look over my shoulder to back up. I check my mirrors several times and back slowly, constantly looking out both side windows and all 3 mirrors.

nutcrunch
05-26-2012, 03:57 AM
Any idea how to raise the headlights some? I think that is exactly what it needs.

I see this thread which may help http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1956

nutcrunch
05-26-2012, 04:20 AM
I just went out to the car and looked under the hood and saw one screw that looks like it will adjust the light. Not sure if it's up/down or left/right

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/betterdan/photo1-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/betterdan/photo3-3.jpg

DrivenDaily
05-26-2012, 04:27 AM
Left/Right is not adjustable. It's only up/down. Mine is so deep that I'll have to buy/borrow/steal something to raise 'em. (Yep, just tried. :()

nutcrunch
05-26-2012, 04:29 AM
Ok cool, then that screw in my pics must be the up/down screw. I'll try turning it a couple full turns clockwise tonight and see what happens.

I've never had to adjust the headlights on a brand new car from the factory before, they've always been spot on.

08chevymalibultz
05-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Same here, I always use my Mirrors when backing up! My wife does not like driving the Malibu at all since she is not one that is good at using just Mirrors!

There are blind spots in the Front & Rear of the Malibu, of course I am speaking about the generation 7 model!

I am sure that some dark / Tinted Windows will only make it worse.

nutcrunch
05-26-2012, 11:40 PM
Took it for a night drive again tonight and it seemed better. I guess I was just tired last night. I noticed tonight if I raised the headlights some it would be shining into peoples mirrors so I'm not going to do that. My wife said she thinks the headlights are better than the 06.
The tint we have on the car doesn't affect the view much at all. I am getting more used to just using the mirrors in this car and the wife said she is too. I remember when she had her PT Cruiser there was a view problem but we got used to it.

DrivenDaily
05-27-2012, 04:50 AM
Same here, I always use my Mirrors when backing up! My wife does not like driving the Malibu at all since she is not one that is good at using just Mirrors!

There are blind spots in the Front & Rear of the Malibu, of course I am speaking about the generation 7 model!

I am sure that some dark / Tinted Windows will only make it worse.

Took it for a night drive again tonight and it seemed better. I guess I was just tired last night. I noticed tonight if I raised the headlights some it would be shining into peoples mirrors so I'm not going to do that. My wife said she thinks the headlights are better than the 06.
The tint we have on the car doesn't affect the view much at all. I am getting more used to just using the mirrors in this car and the wife said she is too. I remember when she had her PT Cruiser there was a view problem but we got used to it.

In my '97 Pontiac Grand Prix that I traded for my '09 'Bu that I traded for my '11 'Bu, I used a blind spot mirror. My first attempt was one of those rectangular ones that is mounted on a wedge to let you see something other than the side of the car in half of it. Too small. Then I found the Hercules Blind Spot mirror and bought two of the small ones, one for each side. Installed them underneath the mirror housing instead of above like they do on their website (link below). Discovered I didn't really need it on the right but that problem was solved when a drunk pulled into the parking spot next to me and broke the mirror off the '97. Never found the little mirror.

Transferred the little one to the '09 after trying two different round spot mirrors. Over time the silvering started to go bad at one edge on the Hercules so I bought the medium size when I got my '11 and it's the right size.

Here's a link to the Hercules website.

Another nice plus is that I now have my entire mirror back with the additional view from the Hercules. Here's what it looks like hung under the driver's mirror:

Relative position of vehicles
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x173/fell-uh/2011%20Malibu%20LTZ/Miscellaneous/DSC_0001.jpg

Front view
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x173/fell-uh/2011%20Malibu%20LTZ/Miscellaneous/DSC_0002.jpg

Outside view
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x173/fell-uh/2011%20Malibu%20LTZ/Miscellaneous/DSC_0003.jpg

With tinted window up
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x173/fell-uh/2011%20Malibu%20LTZ/Miscellaneous/DSC_0004.jpg

With tinted window down
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x173/fell-uh/2011%20Malibu%20LTZ/Miscellaneous/DSC_0005.jpg

From actual driving position
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x173/fell-uh/2011%20Malibu%20LTZ/Miscellaneous/DSC_0006.jpg

You can see how much of what car(s) is/are visible. That Taurus is in a position that would be like it was 1/2 a lane over, either entering or departing the lane next to me. That mirror has saved me a number of times! Better than any other mirror I've ever used on a passenger car. (On my truck I had a 3" x 4" hung under each mirror that assisted since I had a cab-over camper and very little view behind from the inside mirror.)

The mirrors on my '09 until I found and installed the small Hercules:
http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x173/fell-uh/Malibu%20Mirror%20Mod/2010-01-23_127.jpg

nutcrunch
05-27-2012, 06:14 AM
Hmm I may have to try one of those, thanks for the info!
I see the Wal mart near me has some like that in stock. Not sure of the brand or the cost though.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Custom-Accessories-Blind-Spot-Mirror/19853332

DrivenDaily
05-27-2012, 08:05 AM
Follow the link and look at their mounting. The WalMart one has the bracket exposed and the screws look like they directly clamp onto the housing. The Hercules version does not and leaves no marks.

nutcrunch
05-27-2012, 11:50 AM
Good point, thanks for the info.

Richard
11-27-2012, 06:26 AM

Thanks

This was definitely an issue with my 2010. The vision was terrible going back. I used to say if there was any feature that they should have offered, it should have been the rear view camera or an alert system. This wasn't available on the 7th generation.

In any case, I'm glad that they added the rearview camera to the My Link system for 2013, but I feel they should have included a warning system as well with the rearview camera just in case you're getting too close and you're not looking at the camera.

bullheadpond
11-30-2012, 10:17 AM
When backing up in our 2012 the rear visibility is horrible. If they had a high spoiler on the back trunk it may help . That little half inch one thats on some of the Malibu wouldn't help with visibility.

Aubrey
12-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Picked up my new Malibu this week. Rear camera is fine. No complaints about it or anything with the car. 2LZ w/Electronics & Entertainment.

john parker
12-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Just purchased a 2013 1LT based on having rented a 2012 2LT on a trip last month. Personally think visibility to the rear is not good in both (previous car was 2001 Cavalier). Really wanted a 2012, but couldn't find what we wanted. Got 2013 for the advantages it brought to us: power passenger seat and rear camera! Have only driven the 2013 for one day, but the rear camera is wonderful and a big help!

john parker
12-06-2012, 08:45 PM
Do have a rear camera question! Owner's manual talks to "guide lines" and shows on to turn them on. However, I cannot get any guide lines to pop up on the display to select. Car is a 1LT. Do the guide lines only come up on a higher model?

mzodarg
12-07-2012, 01:16 AM
Do have a rear camera question! Owner's manual talks to "guide lines" and shows on to turn them on. However, I cannot get any guide lines to pop up on the display to select. Car is a 1LT. Do the guide lines only come up on a higher model?

On My 13 Bu Eco, I had the guide lines and a much clearer camera, it was HD quality in comparison to the camera on the 2013 2LTZ I just purchased. The guideline feature on the LTZ has been removed.

Although the manual says it exists, the feature is not available in setup per the manual.

Tre'

nutcrunch
12-07-2012, 02:16 AM
I have the Eco and no guide lines. I believe the guide lines were only on the ones with navigation. I believe they changed the navigation radio though because you used to not be able to do bluetooth audio or Pandora with the navigation radio either and I believe you can now. Is that corect mzodarg? You have navigation in yours right?

Here is a thread where we were discussing the guide lines before. http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10887&highlight=guide

mzodarg
12-07-2012, 03:04 AM
Yes I have the Nav, had it in the Eco also. I did notice that the head unit is a Panasonic, not sure what the ECO was but it's different.

nutcrunch
12-07-2012, 03:28 AM
You also have Pandora, Stitcher and can do bluetooth audio with the navigation radio in your LTZ right?

mzodarg
12-07-2012, 04:45 AM
You also have Pandora, Stitcher and can do bluetooth audio with the navigation radio in your LTZ right?

Correct, I haven't tried pandora or sticher yet. But BT from my iphone is sweeeet!

nutcrunch
12-07-2012, 05:07 AM
Correct, I haven't tried pandora or sticher yet. But BT from my iphone is sweeeet!

When we got our car at first I was a little disappointed we didn't get the navigation but then when I realized the early navigation radios didn't have Pandora, Stitcher and bluetooth audio I was happy we didn't get it.
That was crazy that you would get the upscale navigation radio and pay all that money and not get those features. Now it looks like they added it back in but dropped the camera guidelines. Weird.

Yea I enjoy the bluetooth audio too from our iphones. The Pandora app is really cool when you plug the phone into the car so you can have full controls. I downloaded the Stitcher app but I don't drive around listening to news so I deleted it off the phone.

mzodarg
12-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Just tried pandora, sweet!Have never used sticher. One thing I notice this morning when backing out for work, it appears the back up camera is b/w not color. IDK WTF GM was thinking on this change. Oh well I'll live with it until I talk to the GM Rep.

Tre'

Chevrolet Customer Svc
12-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Congratulations on your new 2013 Chevrolet Malibu, john parker!

nutcrunch
12-09-2012, 06:35 AM
Just tried pandora, sweet!Have never used sticher. One thing I notice this morning when backing out for work, it appears the back up camera is b/w not color. IDK WTF GM was thinking on this change. Oh well I'll live with it until I talk to the GM Rep.

Tre'

Ours is b/w also. Was the camera in your Eco with navigation in color?

mzodarg
12-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Yes hd color, the LTZ is color just not like what I had. Thought it was b/w but the appears to be at night, the camera I had before was either infrared or it somehow captured more available light. Current one is not good in low light.

nutcrunch
12-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Oops I was wrong, our camera is color. It does look almost b/w at night but it is very clear.
Did you ever get your rear camera problem resolved?

mzodarg
12-15-2012, 12:27 AM
nutcrunch,
No, if i get an opportunity, I'll shoot a pic of what is displayed. Very disappointing compared to the ECO and no guidelines.

nutcrunch
12-15-2012, 05:42 AM
I'd be interested to see a pic. If I can remember, I'll try and get one too.

nutcrunch
12-15-2012, 06:10 AM
Ok went out and took a pic with my phone. I know it's not the best pic, it looks much better in real life.
http://i.imgur.com/o455C.jpg

mzodarg
12-15-2012, 07:35 AM
I took one with I phone also and it actually looks better than what I see. http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp299/mzodarg/photo5-1.jpg

mzodarg
12-15-2012, 07:37 AM
Also took pic of my camera options, only option I have is camera, if it's unchecked, the camera is off. Only option I have-
http://i421.photobucket.com/albums/pp299/mzodarg/photo4.jpg

mzodarg
12-15-2012, 08:05 AM
Nutcrunch- Do you have the guideline option, I don't but did have it in the eco.

nutcrunch
12-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Nope I don't have it. I also don't have navigation. I believe the early navigation radios had the guide lines but then they didn't have bluetooth audio, pandora or stitcher which was dumb. Seems they added those options on the newer navigation radios but took the guidelines out. Dumb move again.

mzodarg
12-16-2012, 01:18 AM
I agree it was dumb, although I do like the navigation unit compared to the ECO, it shows the posted speed. A feature that was not available on my last one.

nutcrunch
12-16-2012, 10:28 AM
Now that does sound cool if it shows the speed limit on the road you are on.

I just bought a new Garmin 2595LMT last night for $199 and I love it. big 5" screen, shows speed limit, voice commands (works surprisingly well) so you don't have to take your hands off the wheel for it to give you directions, traffic, exit services (shows you what services are available at the next exit), lifetime map updates, lane and junction view, bluetooth etc.
We own an iphone but if we had an android we could use the smartlink app to have the GPS connect to the phone and use it's data connection to show weather, gas prices etc. on the GPS screen. Wish they had an iphone app to do the same thing :(
You can also buy some eco thing that plugs into the car's computer test port and it can give you all kinds of info on the car's operation like temps, air fuel mixtures, gas mileage etc. It connects to the gps via bluteooth and lets you see all the info. Not sure if that is android only or if it is available for ios too.

It has a nice shiny black on the front to match the plastic around the stock radio and the flatter black rubber look on the back matches the dash material. I'd love to leave it permanently mounted but thieves suck.

mzodarg
12-16-2012, 04:52 PM
Yes it shows the posted speed limit. Wished it showed vehicle speed also. I too like the Garmin platform. The one you have sounds pretty cool. I travel a ton and with my ECO I would have a Garmin in the window and the NAv in the car programed.

2jack
10-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Just bought a 2013 Malibu LTZ (Used). It did not come with a rear camera. Is there any way to add a factory camera? I checked with 2 local Chevy dealers and they stated that this was a factory only feature. Been looking for parts on-line and have found the rear bumper assembly w/ camera on ebay. Just don't know if I were t purchase if it would display or if there are other parts.

Really would like the rear camera as factory shipped so it displays ont he middle console - really don't want another screen mounted, or to mess with the rearview kind.

Any Help Appreciated ..........:confused:

Njbuchick
10-31-2013, 09:56 AM
Can anyone provide a comparison between the Gen7 and Gen8 cars' rearward visibility? The camera is something I would've liked on my 08 LTZ, even though I've adjusted to mostly using the mirrors since owning it.

I traded in a '09 LS for my current '13 LS and found the '13 to be slightly worse since the rear trunk seems to sit higher. Styling of the wide rear pillars does'nt help either. I prefer the back up sensors. It's too easy to become overly dependent on the back up camera. I personally feel more confident remaining in the habit of checking all mirrors w/ an alert that something is too close for comfort when backing up. I find that the blind spot is more of an issue than backing up on these cars. Ford has inserted blind spot mirrors on all their sideview mirrors (later models) and I think that should be standard across the board. The adhesive blind spot mirrors help a bit but not as well as the built in ones from the factory.

jmz768
10-31-2013, 09:17 PM
I haven't come across posts about the rearview of the 2013 Malibu. However, we do put the rearview camera on the 2013 Malibu Eco 2SA as a standard feature.

I have had a chance to take this vehicle for a test drive and I found the rear camera wonderful.

So tell me, what problems do you see with the Malibu?

chevyorange
11-01-2013, 08:00 AM
I just add a quick look to the camera to my backup repertoire.

The Malibu has great turning radius & once ya get acclimated with rear cam you can trust it into all but tightest of spots.

But one should always look over their shoulder when backing up.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
11-01-2013, 11:55 AM
jmz768,

Are you having concerns with your Malibu? If so, you can certainly reach out to us via private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

jmz768
11-01-2013, 07:55 PM
jmz768,

Are you having concerns with your Malibu? If so, you can certainly reach out to us via private message.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

I don't have any problems, I just find it a little ridiculous for a Chevy employee to be telling us how great they think things are with the car. You'd have a lot more credibility if you stuck to assisting customers with their problems and stayed away from telling us how great you think the vehicles are. No offense.

Unless of course you'd be willing to tell us those things you don't like with the Malibu. No car is perfect, right?

Chevrolet Customer Svc
11-02-2013, 09:13 AM
jmz7768,

Thank you for your suggestion. Michelle stated she enjoyed the rear-view camera during a test drive in which she participated. We are here to address any concerns or questions our customers may have with their GM vehicles. We do have the chance to experience these vehicles first hand to better assist our customers. It is always great to share the same experience as the daily driver.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

2jack
11-23-2013, 07:56 PM
Just bought a 2013 Malibu LTZ (Used). It did not come with a rear camera. Is there any way to add a factory camera? I checked with 2 local Chevy dealers and they stated that this was a factory only feature. Been looking for parts on-line and have found the rear bumper assembly w/ camera on ebay. Just don't know if I were to purchase if it would display or if there are other parts.

Really would like the rear camera as factory shipped so it displays ont he middle console - really don't want another screen mounted, or to mess with the rearview mirror or sunshade kind.

Any Help Appreciated ..........:confused:

Anyone?????? Surprised no one else has had questions on this??:cool: