97 Malibu wont start after engine has reached operating temp [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: 97 Malibu wont start after engine has reached operating temp

Javien
06-03-2012, 10:03 AM
I was driving my malibu like normal when after about 40 miles. i went to get gas, (i have been using to same gas in it for sometime now). so after i finshed getting gas i went to start it. it cranked up to about 1000 rpm the idled down and died i tryed it again it idled to 400, then it just kept doing that so i stopped so i would flood it. after about 4 minuter it started up and i was able to drive. then the same thing happed yesterday when i went to walmart. then i let the car run for about an hour no problem i shut it off for 10 seconds kick right back on and started i wait a minute nothing. what wrong with my malibu i love this car i dont want to have to get rid of it is my first car and my family has owned it since 2005 184,000 on the dash.

autolite wires

cooper autolite plugs

bad cam sensor (i have the part)

please help me i need my baby to work right

DrivenDaily
06-03-2012, 10:15 AM
I don't know where to start with any real assistance, but I'd like to suggest as kindly as possible that you might find it easier to get folks to read your posts if you'll put a little punctuation in them. The more readers you get the more help you'll get, too.

Javien
06-03-2012, 10:29 AM
i just started it and let it run for 2 minutes and shut it off for 10 seconds wont start up

MalibuKen
06-03-2012, 10:40 AM
i wait a minute nothing.

bad cam sensor (i have the part)

1) You should FIX anything that you know is wrong first (cam sensor).
2) You should NOT just let it sit there and run for an hour.
3) What does "nothing" mean? That the starter wasn't running......or the starter WAS running but it won't fire up ??

I second the request for a little formatting in your posts.

Rodents
06-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Two thoughts. Clean the throttle body and check to make sure the fuel pressure regulator isn't leaking. Pull the vacuum hose off and if there's fuel at the hose, the regulator is bad. Clean the throttle body first though, doesn't take long and doesn't cost much.

Vidurg
07-24-2012, 03:41 AM
Hey, had the same problem with random shut offs after the car warms up. Car would then not start right away, but if I waited (at first 10 minutes, as the problem progressed a few hours) the car would start.

We replaced the ignition control module, and everything was good to go. Problem was that the electrical contacts separated when things heated up, but when the car was cool, everything was fine.

Hope this helps.

young-gear
07-24-2012, 09:34 AM
Hey, had the same problem with random shut offs after the car warms up. Car would then not start right away, but if I waited (at first 10 minutes, as the problem progressed a few hours) the car would start.

We replaced the ignition control module, and everything was good to go. Problem was that the electrical contacts separated when things heated up, but when the car was cool, everything was fine.

Hope this helps.

You are exactly right! I had the same problem with one of the staffs vehicle, come to find out they did not put the gel on the ICM and it overheated causing the car to shut off randomly. I've dealed with this problem twice in college. Normally people forget to add the gel to keep the ICM from overheating.:confused:

MalibuKen
07-24-2012, 09:57 AM
Normally people forget to add the gel to keep the ICM from overheating.:confused:

Just a minor point of clarification:

The "gel" or dielectric grease keeps out moisture and other contaminants and prevents the resulting corrosion......which in turn makes heat when the connection starts failing.

IF.....the bad connection and resulting heat is from insufficient contact pressure to start with (and not from moisture or corrosion), the gel can actually make matters worse.

Sometimes that minor point becomes a major consideration.
It can be a factor if/when the offending heat is coming from OUTSIDE the component or connector that is being affected.

Rodents
07-24-2012, 10:22 AM
The "gel" or dielectric grease keeps out moisture and other contaminants and prevents the resulting corrosion......which in turn makes heat when the connection starts failing.

I'm pretty sure 'young-gear' was referring to the metal plate on the bottom side of the ignition module where it sits, in some applictions, directly on a metal bracket for a mounting plate and for some heat dissipation and then the gel or silicone dielectric grease WAS put on the bottom of the module for aiding heat transfer. I think you would actually have seen that back as far as the mid '70's when HEI was relatively new. I think the old 4 and 7 pin modules actually came with that grease and a label telling you to use it for heat dissipation. I'm pretty sure that's the way it was.

MalibuKen
07-24-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm pretty sure 'young-gear' was referring to the metal plate on the bottom side of the ignition module

His reference to the pins losing contact led me astray. ;)
That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D

I remember using "heat sink compound" on descretely mounted power transistors. I'm not sure it is the same thing as dielectric grease.

young-gear
07-24-2012, 05:13 PM
HAHA thanks guys for correcting me. Hints why I have Young in the begining of my user name. I'm a Jarhead/ Race car lover and Still learning when it comes to mechanics.

Rodents
07-25-2012, 10:29 AM
I remember using "heat sink compound" on descretely mounted power transistors. I'm not sure it is the same thing as dielectric grease.

I would agree with that. I haven't done one of those old modules in many years so my faint memory of the package of 'stuff' you put on the back side of the module was in my mind more like silicone dielectric grease. It may have been something else but there was something you put on the module for heat transfer.

RalphP
07-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Dielectric grease beats air, but it's not as good as genuine heat sink compound.

OTGH - Your average auto shop would have dielectric grease, heat sink compound, not quite as likely.

RwP