Is it our dealership or Chevrolet? Warranty issues. [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Is it our dealership or Chevrolet? Warranty issues.

mk1sh1trocket
06-08-2012, 06:33 PM
I would like to know if it is the Dealership (Town and Country Chevrolet) or Chevrolet themselves that don't want to take care of their customers?

We have an '09 Malibu lt2 3.6l 25k miles (bought it with 8k) that we have had multiple issues with over the short year we have had it.

First time we took it into dealership was because the transmission felt like it was shifting funny. All over the place, not down shifting etc. Of course they tell me this is normal. So I ask about the new TCU firmware upgrade. Oh no we cant do that without it having problems. After 30 min of going back and forth they finally "say" they did it.

Next time we went in was to talk about a steering clunk. I show them how it makes the noise (steering left to right there is a noticeable clunk). The response I got was "Do you regularly sit there and turn the wheel side to side" If not then its "normal".

Only a few short months later we went in for a front end clunk. They came back and said we cant find anything. I took it home, took one wheel off and you could clearly see the strut leaking. Took it back and they tell me they will replace the drivers side because its leaking. But wont do the passenger side because it wasn't leaking yet. The only reason I found this was because both front tires were to the metal on the inner camber. They try telling me the camber issue was because of the tires that are on the car. I told them Im a mechanic and asked if I look like an idiot. Of course they wouldn't do anything about the tires and tried telling me that bad struts wouldn't effect tire wear.

Every time we go in we get similar stories and cold shoulders. Problems so far:

Turn signal cancel quit working (the only thing they replaced without me holding their hand)
There is a clunk when accelerating then decelerating. ("normal")
Couple bushing in the rear suspension squeak badly
Struts went bad (only replaced one)
Steering clunks when steering left to right and vice versa ("normal") You can even see it shutter left and right when looking at the wheels.
Engine noticeable vibrates at idle and "misses" about every 10 seconds or so (they tell me this is "normal")
Something in the headliner and dash rattles around all the time.
When first driving everyday it clunks and creaks on all four corners for the first half hour or so, Then it will lessen but never fully go away.
Had a tire sensor go out. The car has aftermarket wheels on it and did when we bought it re-using the factory TPMS. After 30 min of arguing with them they finally replaced it.
Rotten egg smell after heavy acceleration. "normal"
The latest problem is with the drivers seat. The bottom portion of the seat started cracking in the leather. Took it in today and I shit you not they told me that with 25k miles this is NORMAL. The crack is not on the seam and it is roughly 6" long.

There is more to all of this but My girlfriend and I are furious with Chevrolet right now. We traded in our 08 Vw Jetta with 60k miles for this last year and have regretted it every day. With 60k miles on the jetta it didn't have a single problem. Any small warranty issues where taken care of without questions.

Any help would be great. Anyone know how I can file a complaint with Chevrolet?

Btw it is still under B2B and powertrain warranties.

MalibuKen
06-08-2012, 08:40 PM
I would like to know if it is the Dealership (Town and Country Chevrolet)

It's mostly the dealer.....I think.

The number to call with warranty complaints is in the owner's manual or warranty booklet.

The front office at the dealership can give it to you too........and they might want to know WHY you are asking for it.

Have you ever taken ANY of these complaints above the "service advisor" level ??

Have you thought about another dealer.....if there are any close by ??

I hope you have documented this stuff just incase you pass a warranty milestone just before one of those things breaks completely.

Almost ALL of the things you are complaining about have been discussed by other owners here and I think there IS a fix for all of them. Do a little searching and then armed with some information, talk to the service manager or agency owner.......and let them know that you have (or will be) contacting GM too.

I think they are jerking you around......bad......but they will keep doing it as long as you LET them.

P.S. Not a prude by any stretch.....but how do you figure that your handle is appropriate for a forum that is completely public ??

mk1sh1trocket
06-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Thank you for the information. My handle I have had since I was 16 and is my handle on all my forums so its mostly habit. Plus I assume that anyone on an automobile forum would be here because they had the vehicle that the forum is formed around. And in most places in the country you have to be at least 16 to drive. And most 16 year olds have worse mouths then me.

MalibuKen
06-09-2012, 06:31 AM
My handle I have had since I was 16

And most 16 year olds have worse mouths then me.

That doesn't make it any less rude.

Maybe it's time to move past your "16 year old" stage. ;)

Just sayin'.

Good luck with all your problems.
Be firm but polite.

Malibu25
06-09-2012, 09:05 AM
Go to another dealership man.

mk1sh1trocket
06-09-2012, 12:47 PM
If we did everything to conform to "hurt feelings" or single individuals idea of rude, we wouldn't be able to say anything. I had this guy named Ken that offended me once so "Ken" in your handle offends me. You know what I bet you don't care.. lol.. Just sayin...

Anyways this posting wasn't meant to be a debate on anyone's screen name.