Bad catalytic converter p0420 code [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Bad catalytic converter p0420 code

Stryker
08-01-2012, 05:05 PM
I purchased a 2009 Chevy Malibu LS several months back. Today my check engine light came on and the code said UBD2 P0420. I take it to the dealer and my catalytic converter needs replaced (Thank God its under warranty). I trust this dealer so I know Im not being 100% BS'd but he did say that catalytic converters can just go bad for no reason. It only has 40,000 miles on it and runs pretty smooth but doing my own research I found that a converter will only go bad if something else is wrong in the engine. Has anyone else run into this or heard about it? Im hoping that I didnt buy a messed up car that will cost me more month than its worth. No other codes have come up, so I dont know if that means the engines fine or codes dont pop up for misfiring/tune up/ or the engines running to lean/rich.

Thanks guys

Stryker
08-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Also, I noticed over the last month my fuel mpg has gone down somewhat and my acceleration from a stop was really sluggish. I guess those are signs of a bad catalytic converter, i just associated them with the miserable 100+ heat and the car needing to work harder

greenman
08-02-2012, 12:44 AM
It's true that misfiring cylinders can damage a cat pretty quick. I suppose it's in the realm of possibilty the damage was done before you got the car. But they also can suffer manufacturing defects like any other part (though I'm not aware of any systemic cat problem with the '09 MY). The dealer has verified there is no active misfiring or they would be correcting that first.

Sluggishness is a key symptom of a plugged cat.

Buffalo
09-11-2012, 04:34 PM
I've got a 09 Malibu with 76k on it and the CAT just went bad...

DrivenDaily
09-11-2012, 09:12 PM
8 yr / 80,000 mile Federal warranty on emissions components...

Stryker
09-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Since July 27th I have not had my vehicle because chevy does not have the part. GM can give me no answers as to why the part is not available. I am going to put GM on blast on every forum and review site i can. This is the last GM product I ever buy

greenman
09-12-2012, 09:12 PM
Since July 27th I have not had my vehicle because chevy does not have the part. GM can give me no answers as to why the part is not available...

So I'm guessing by your tone they have not offered you a loaner. I'd be angry too. I'd have it towed to a muffler shop & have them replace it with a non-oem cat & then submit the bills to GM. I'm guessing you have a 2.4l.

daveyio87
09-13-2012, 04:36 AM
I know GM issued a Special policy to replacing these out of warranty.

greenman
09-13-2012, 12:58 PM
from the 09 warranty book:

Maintenance and Repairs
Maintenance and repairs can be performed by any
qualified service outlet; however, warranty repairs must
be performed by an authorized dealer except in an
emergency situation when a warranted part or a
warranty station is not reasonably available to the
vehicle owner.
In an emergency, where an authorized dealer is not
reasonably available, repairs may be performed at
any available service establishment or by the owner,
using any replacement part. Chevrolet will consider
reimbursement for the expense incurred, including
diagnosis, not to exceed the manufacturer’s suggested
retail price for all warranted parts replaced and labor
charges based on Chevrolet’s recommended time
allowance for the warranty repair and the geographically
appropriate labor rate. A part not being available within
10 days or a repair not being completed within 30 days
constitutes an emergency. Retain receipts and failed
parts in order to receive compensation for warranty
repairs reimbursable due to an emergency.
If, in an emergency situation, it is necessary to have
repairs performed by other than a Chevrolet dealer and
you believe the repairs are covered by emission
warranties, take the replaced parts and your receipt to a
Chevrolet dealer for reimbursement consideration.
This applies to both the Federal Emission Defect
Warranty and Federal Emission Performance Warranty.
Receipts and records covering the performance of
regular maintenance or emergency repairs should be
retained in the event questions arise concerning
maintenance. These receipts and records should be
transferred to each subsequent owner. GM will not deny
warranty coverage solely on the absence of
maintenance records. However, GM may deny a
warranty claim if a failure to perform scheduled
maintenance resulted in the failure of a warranty part.

greenman
09-14-2012, 10:11 PM
Michelle, where are you? Help this poor dude out please. GM should be pulling out ALL the stops after 30 days of waiting on a part. I'm sure I'd be going postal.

DrivenDaily
09-15-2012, 06:14 AM
He can always PM her himself...

BillD64
09-15-2012, 01:10 PM
Since July 27th I have not had my vehicle because chevy does not have the part. GM can give me no answers as to why the part is not available. I am going to put GM on blast on every forum and review site i can. This is the last GM product I ever buy

You haven't explained why you don't have your car. Just because you are waiting on a part doesn't necessarily mean you can't drive the car.

Bill

Stryker
09-16-2012, 12:30 PM
I do have a loaner that was finally given to me about 15 days after the catalytic converter broke. I accept that I have something to drive around in but my biggest concern is the fact that since i bought the car I made 2 payments without having my vehicle. I've been on the phone with customer service for weeks now and I'm proud that I haven't lost my cool on them because I know those people are just doing their job and are not responsible for my cars problems. Each time I call, i'm told someone will be in contact with me and so far that has not happened. So I call back, explain the same problem I'm having and asking for a simple answer, why is there no part for my car. Each time the customer service representative tells me that another person has the answer to that and they will connect me. That person tells me someone else has it and that they will call me back, and they never do. As far as I can tell from talking to a mechanic at the dealership where my car is sitting is that my car was manufactured for sale in California. This means the car has a different catalytic converter than other Malibu's for the other 49 states and the cat that the dealership has cannot be fitted. I looked back over my paperwork, the cars original sale form, and anything else I received from the dealership when I bought it. I didn't know there was a difference and I would love to know why the car was leased for sale in New York when it was made for California.

I at least have an idea what is wrong with the car but not why a part is unavailable. GM hasn't been much help with this whatsoever and I still hold the dealership to blame for selling me this and I do know that cat's can just go bad. My guess is that because the car is made only for 1 state they don't have too many extra parts. I just wish they could tell me how long or what they have to do to get me back into my car. A loaner vehicle is great (they had to give that to me because the old cat can't be put back on and the car had zero acceleration.. I almost died at an intersection because it took me about 10 seconds to reach 30, my first indication something was wrong) but I want my own car that I've been making payments on.

Also, who is this person you guys have mentioned that could help or I could PM?

Thanks for understanding while I slowly lose my shirt over this

Stryker
09-16-2012, 12:39 PM
I want to add that the biggest reason I am angry about this is because in June I traded in a 2010 Camaro RS to buy a more family friendly vehicle. Neither my wife or myself thought we were able to have children and finding out she was pregnant changed my life and meant my toy had to go. I'm upset over all of this because I bought a car that I hoped would be safe for my child and I ended up with something that broke a month later and has been sitting at the dealership for that time. As irrational as it sounds, that is why I have lost faith in GM (that and the lack of help or information)

greenman
09-16-2012, 05:31 PM
You might try sending her an email:

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service
Available 8am to 4:30pm EST
Monday through Friday
September 13, 2012-I will be out of the office since I will working on Sunday, 9/16/12 from noon to 9pm
michelle_renee@gmexpert.com

greenman
09-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Personally, I'd prefer to rack up my miles on a loaner & save the wear & tear on my vehicle. Especially true, given the 2012 Outbacks my dealer loans out.

greenman
09-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Also, the California EPA-certified vehicles are not just limited to California. Many states have adopted the California EPA standards. Including NY IIRC.

Stryker
09-17-2012, 03:14 AM
That would have been nice, my loan is an 09 Saturn Aura, a clone of the Malibu. Beggars can't be choosers, but the thing is in really crappy condition. Wish they had given me a Caddy

DrivenDaily
09-17-2012, 04:24 AM
Why didn't they just put you back in your Camaro until they fix your 'Bu? Hmmmm, maybe they don't think outside the box too well, eh?

greenman
09-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Wish they had given me a Caddy

If they had, you would have never wanted to give it back. :)

Heard anything from Michelle yet?

Stryker
09-18-2012, 03:30 AM
The Camaro was sold by the time the catalytic converter broke. I think Ive officially had the car at the dealership longer than Ive actually driven it. I emailed her yesterday afternoon using the email that I saw on the thread. The email wasn't kicked back so I'm hoping it went though and I'll hear back from her today. I was supposed to receive a call back from a GM representative yesterday but didn't. I think that makes 5 times now where a different GM rep told me that they would call me back and never do. I'm just so incredibly frustrated at the lack of communication from GM and their inability to at least call me back and answer my questions.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
09-18-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm on it, greenman. :) How are you?

Michelle, Chevrolet Customer Service

greenman
09-18-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm on it, greenman. :) How are you?

Good. Thanks :) I'd be interested to hear what's happening with the oem 2.4l cat inventory if you get any details.

Stryker
09-18-2012, 03:07 PM
I just got a call today that the cat came in this morning and it was installed and everything seems to be running just fine. I'll find out tomorrow when I go to pick it up. I guess going to the internet helped! Thank you everyone, I am hoping this is the last problem I ever have with this car and that it is safe for my child that is due to arrive soon. I'm not ready! Seriously though, I appreciate everyone's advice and help.

I am also seriously hoping that even though it is a base 2.4L LS I will get back at least an acceptable acceleration. I know it will never be great but right before the cat went i remember trying to speed up from a dead stop to get into traffic (DC traffic is horrible!) and i mashed the pedal to the ground and i barely pulled out and got to 25 in maybe 15 seconds. I pray that was the cat and not something else.

greenman
09-18-2012, 09:50 PM
...I am also seriously hoping that even though it is a base 2.4L LS I will get back at least an acceptable acceleration. I know it will never be great but right before the cat went i remember trying to speed up from a dead stop to get into traffic (DC traffic is horrible!) and i mashed the pedal to the ground and i barely pulled out and got to 25 in maybe 15 seconds. I pray that was the cat and not something else.

Those are classic clogged cat symptoms.

Dolby109
11-08-2013, 11:16 AM
I know GM issued a Special policy to replacing these out of warranty.

I know this is an old post, but do you happen to know what this policy is?

My cat just failed ~120 miles out of warranty, and GM is not wanting to cover it.
As helpful as they have sounded while they have been talking to me it has ammounted to very little.