Gen7 Rear view camera help! [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Gen7 Rear view camera help!

geeti
08-31-2012, 08:30 AM
Hey guys,
I'm planning to install a backup camera at the license plate lamp. But I think it would be quite difficult to run the wire, if I don't remove the rear bumper.
Two wires: power cord and signal cord.

1: Power cord: It is supposed to connect to the back-up lamp power, but back-up lamp is on the trunk lid, and camer location is on the bumper. So I want to connect the power cord to somewhere at the fuse box. However, the wire tapped from the fuse is always hot, and I think it's better to tap after the back-up lamp relay, but where is it? Any one did this?

2. More important. How can we run the wire from the outside into the trunk? I see there's a small hole around the right lamp passing all the wires, but there's a rubber on this hole, and no more room for an extra wire.

Please tell if you did your rear view camera.!

Thanks!

DrivenDaily
08-31-2012, 09:56 AM
Back wire goes to the fuse box inside the trunk. Wire harness for rear lights enters trunk behind left taillight. Use that grommet.

Volume26
08-31-2012, 10:36 AM
If you need a backup camera that bad on a Malibu... Maybe its time to retake your driving test lol.

DrivenDaily
08-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Small window with a high beltline - I don't think anyone has ever suggested that it's "easy" to back up or see through these windows.

Of course, we're also not expert backer-uppers like truckers, so maybe we need a little help here and there.

Or maybe we just prefer not to bump into things like others do in, say, New York City or other places where it's common to have collisions and do nothing about it.

I, for one, like my car to look good, and scratching it all to hell isn't what I'd consider normal.

Volume26
08-31-2012, 10:56 AM
You think the Malibu is bad visibility wise?? I delivered pizzas in a 08 Cobalt LS two door with factory spoiler.. Ever sat in a Cobalt 2 door? You should just to see what Im talking about... Then have the factory spoiler in the way! On deliveries that were in the "country" however you want to put it, I backed that car down narrow driveways hitting the speed limiter in reverse at 30 mph.. I only do that when I KNOW its safe to do so..

I have backed in the Malibu the same way.. its EASY!! There is absolutely no need for a camera on a Malibu haha.

Dalecon
08-31-2012, 11:53 AM
That is your opinion. I back up my malibu all the time, and there is always that last little bit where I am guessing. If its tight I will ask the wife to get out, or open my door. A back up camera would be appreciated on the car, as its an extra bit of technology to help. Do I need one? No, would I really enjoy having one integrated, absolutley.

DrivenDaily
08-31-2012, 03:30 PM
To each their own. Backing up in the rurals means you're relying solely on the lights on the car; doing so in the city is easy 'cuz there are street lights everywhere.

Is the window small and hard to see out of? Yes. As hard as the Cobalt example? Apparently not. But I'm from the days of cars that had a low beltline and a large greenhouse. I could see the trunk in the mirror and figure out where the back of the car was a lot more easily than this here 'Bu! And backing them up in the rurals was not fun. Then add in that not all nights are clear as a bell and it makes it that much harder. I agree that a camera is for some, not all, and for those that want it it shouldn't be a decision they have to defend. I sure wouldn't. And won't.

Heck, I'd like to see how someone melds a camera into a Gen7! I think it'd be pretty darn cool just for the technical difficulty. (I know the Olympics are over but some of the terms stick around, don'tchaknow! ;))

geeti
08-31-2012, 07:54 PM
I have a in-dash gps to display the rearview vision, but it requires a back-up signal to activate the vision. So how to run the wire to the console? Also from the fuse in trunk?

Besides, is the tapped wire from trunk fuse always hot? Or will live when backup?
Back wire goes to the fuse box inside the trunk. Wire harness for rear lights enters trunk behind left taillight. Use that grommet.

DrivenDaily
08-31-2012, 08:10 PM
If you need power in the trunk, there are 2 light green wires that go to the fuse box in the trunk, 1 for each backup light. If you need power up front, there is a brown wire that exits the rear fuse panel and goes to the inside mirror to un-dim it when reversing.

Both of the above wires are powered only when the backup relay is energized (grounded) by the reverse light control circuit in the BCM using a light blue wire.

swcaraudio
09-03-2012, 08:51 PM
i always thought of back up cameras as more of a cool factor rather then a necessity on cars... but... the more and more i install and test out, the more im starting to consider putting one on my malibu:) takes the guess work of " how close am i now"

geeti
10-01-2012, 03:04 PM
Hi,
I've successfully run the wires, but I didn't find the two light-green wires as your said. Could you give me a more specific location where the two wire are?

THank you!
If you need power in the trunk, there are 2 light green wires that go to the fuse box in the trunk, 1 for each backup light. If you need power up front, there is a brown wire that exits the rear fuse panel and goes to the inside mirror to un-dim it when reversing.

Both of the above wires are powered only when the backup relay is energized (grounded) by the reverse light control circuit in the BCM using a light blue wire.

DrivenDaily
10-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Trunk fuse block is behind the little carpet flap "door" on the left fender. The easy way to find the green wires is to release the box from the vehicle and pull it forward, looking on the back side. Both wires go up the trunk lid to the left side and then go into the trunk cavity toward the fuses.

OmniCamaro
10-01-2012, 05:51 PM
You think the Malibu is bad visibility wise?? I delivered pizzas in a 08 Cobalt LS two door with factory spoiler.. Ever sat in a Cobalt 2 door? You should just to see what Im talking about... Then have the factory spoiler in the way! On deliveries that were in the "country" however you want to put it, I backed that car down narrow driveways hitting the speed limiter in reverse at 30 mph.. I only do that when I KNOW its safe to do so..

I have backed in the Malibu the same way.. its EASY!! There is absolutely no need for a camera on a Malibu haha.

Really dude?! It's not a necessary add-on, it's a luxury add-on, and it's cool! Why not do it?! Can you tell us that? "haha" Some peoples kids!

geeti
10-02-2012, 06:37 AM
Thanks a lot!
I just tried this morning, but I didn't figure out how to release the fuse box. Just pull it forward?

Trunk fuse block is behind the little carpet flap "door" on the left fender. The easy way to find the green wires is to release the box from the vehicle and pull it forward, looking on the back side. Both wires go up the trunk lid to the left side and then go into the trunk cavity toward the fuses.

DrivenDaily
10-02-2012, 03:34 PM
You have to lift a little plastic piece that snaps into a hole, which then allows it to slide sideways. Once it slides, the box lifts out of the slots.

csmjvh
11-29-2012, 10:04 PM
This is $1822 worth of repair. I wish I would of put in a backup camera. Regardless of what anyone says, in my opinion, these things can be worth their weight in gold or more.

This occurred as I was backing out from work and tapped a retaining wall. It was raining and dark I couldn't tell how far back I was. Foot slipped off the brake for just a half second and boom this occurs.

Accidents happen no matter how good you are at driving. I would recommend the camera.

itsbmw
12-15-2012, 03:06 PM

Lmao my Cobalt SS/TC with the low-rise was bad, I couldn't imagine owning one with the park bench high rise. But I also had 5% tint on the back of that bad boy and managed. I am going to install a backup cam on the malibu just because I found a chrome one that will look stock in the chrome license plate trim.

BBrewbaker
12-17-2012, 05:35 AM

I had a 2010 Cobalt before the Malibu. I had got the SS high Rise Spoiler to help with the view. It was just as bad or worse because of being higher.
One thing it did a great job of was blocking headlights behind me.
So the rear view mirror on there was pretty much useless.

MrRichRod
03-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Bringing this thread back to life for a minute:

In the online instructions (http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/105/105KVCM20.PDF) for the JVC KV-CM20 backup camera, it asks on page 3 of the .pdf (table 1 of electrical connections) for the installer to:

Install RED wire to an accessory terminal in the fuse block.

Can this be wired to any ignition/switched 12v power source/wire? Does it have to go to the fuse box? If so, what is the purpose since there's already a fuse in line?

**EDIT**

The answer to my question is yes, the red wire only needs a 12v switched/ignition power source... it does not have to run through a fuse block unless you want it too.

Beefstew83
05-21-2013, 11:40 AM
I read through everything above and I am still having a hard time getting the wires into the trunk. I ran them through the hole where the license plate light is, but couldn't find anywhere to go after that.

Everything I read made it sound so easy. Maybe I just missed something obvious.

DrivenDaily
05-21-2013, 02:57 PM
Remove left taillight and you'll see a grommet where the wiring for the outside lights enter/exit the trunk.

Beefstew83
05-22-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the info. Wow, that's more involved than I thought. That raises several questions since I've never messed with cars much.

A. How do you get the left taillight off?
B. How do I get the wires from the license plate to the tailliight area?
C. Is this how the pro installers do it or do they just drill holes? (I have no desire to drill holes)

Everything I've read on various forums makes it sound so easy and their biggest problem is how to connect the power wires(which looks easy to me b/c I have an electronics background). One guy said it took him 3 minutes to get the wires from outside to inside under the car, but had problems figuring out the wiring.

jpackard86
05-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Back up camera is extra nice with 20% tint lol better safe than sorry

Dalecon
05-22-2013, 11:28 AM
I can help with how to get the lights off.

You need to pull back your trunk liner and there are three wing nuts that you screw off, which will then allow for the light to come out the back. All lighting wires are there.

Beefstew83
05-22-2013, 11:32 AM
Thanks much!! Now I just need to figure out how to get the wires from the license plate to the taillight.

DrivenDaily
05-22-2013, 03:06 PM
Crawl under the vehicle and follow the loom. It has clips that snap into holes along the way.

MrRichRod
05-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Once you come through the licence plate light you need to fish the wire into the rear bumper cover. In your case go left and run wire up to where brake light housing and bumper meet. You'll see a gap there. No doubt this is accomished from under the vehicle. I highly recommend spaghetti wrap or some form of anti-chafing protection over your wire.

In my case I went right and drilled a hole. There are pics on a thread I started called 'JVC Navigation Installed in 2012' or something like that. I'm on my Android othwise I'd just link it for you.

Beefstew83
05-23-2013, 08:22 AM
I found your thread. Thanks a lot and great job on your setup. Very nice!

Dalecon
05-23-2013, 09:52 AM
http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12563&highlight=%27JVC+Navigation+Installed+2012%27

For easier reference

Beefstew83
05-27-2013, 04:03 PM
What is the recommended way to wire into the fuse box wires? I thought about cutting the wire insulation and splicing. I unscrewed the block of fuses from the fuse box and tried to figure a way to stick the power wires in there, but haven't come up with anything I like.

This whole project has been a definite stretch for me :p but I'm getting closer.

DiamondMali
05-27-2013, 11:18 PM
You can actually get what they call a "fuse tap"(google fuse tap and you will see the different kinds offered) it allows you to get the fused power without damaging the factory wires. Its used by install shops alot for remote starts and such, most auto parts stores would have these.

Beefstew83
05-28-2013, 08:19 AM
Thanks a lot!! I'm looking into which kind of tap will work best for the power wire. Now I have to figure out what to do with the ground wire since I can't fuse tap that (or at least I don't think so). Does it matter where I ground that? Do I need to ground it into one of the ground wires going into the fuse box? I am thinking not, but not sure where to ground it otherwise.

MrRichRod
05-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks a lot!! I'm looking into which kind of tap will work best for the power wire. Now I have to figure out what to do with the ground wire since I can't fuse tap that (or at least I don't think so). Does it matter where I ground that? Do I need to ground it into one of the ground wires going into the fuse box? I am thinking not, but not sure where to ground it otherwise.

I'm not exactly sure what your wiring (assuming a rear-view camera) but to answer your question: No. A ground just needs to be attached to a non-painted, metal surface. In most electrical applications the shorter the ground, the better. Make sure you crimp a 12V eyelet to the end of your wire that's appropriately sized for the bolt you've decided to ground too. Put the bolt through the eyelet, and re-tighten.

http://www.ripcamarine.com/WebRoot/Pins/Shops/ripca2_002E_testwebshop_002E_nl/496F/5281/FF67/FF1D/A477/5360/9702/DC8B/DIN66_m.jpg
Caption: 12V crimp-on eyelet

jonmgrill5
09-30-2013, 06:47 PM
so heres my question, I installed a backup cam in my Malibu got all the wires ran etc etc..the issue I am having is the backup camera only comes on in reverse if I have my brake petal pushed down as soon as I let off the petal some the picture goes black while still in reverse...push the brake petal down and it comes back on.......now I wired mine to the passengerside taillight harness blue wire and grounded it to the ground wire on the same passenger taillight harness.....how do I correct this so the camera stays on in reverse even when the brake petal isn't being pushed?

jpackard86
09-30-2013, 08:01 PM
sounds like it only has power when u hit the brake. Im guessing the blue wire wasnt a good choice. Not sure which wire you should choose tho. I hope someone here can help.

DrivenDaily
10-01-2013, 02:06 AM
The backup lights have a light green wire running to each one from the rear fuse block. Sounds like you tapped into the brake light wire. Ground needs to be the black wire or a separate chassis ground.

Kinda funny that the camera works like it's wired and you wonder why doesn't it know to work the way it's supposed to. Not meant to be personal, just find it humorous is all.

jonmgrill5
10-01-2013, 05:14 PM
I know right...thing is supposed to be a smart cam....should work the way its suppose to not the way I hook it up wrong lmao....thx for the info

jjoh243
02-14-2014, 09:53 AM
What model cameras are you guys using?

jasko
07-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Hey all. I decided to get a new radio in my car that I've yet to hook up yet. It has a rear view camera option on it; so naturally, I went and got a camera to hook up to it. I think I have the hooking-up my radio part down, but I am a bit confused on how to install the camera.

The radio I got is a Kenwood KIV-701. The installation manual .pdf is this: http://manual2.jvckenwood.com/files/4db4d52a16e90.pdf and the wiring diagram is page 80.

The camera I got is this cheapie from e-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281357610878?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The head unit comes with a Rear View Camera RCA cord (yellow), a REVERSE wire (purple/white), and a PRK SW - paring sensor wire (green) directly hardwired coming out of the back of the unit.

The camera comes with the RCA video cord to go into the rear view camera RCA plug of the head unit and it also comes with a power cord. Am I to just connect this RCA to the RCA in the head unit and then tap the power cord into the rear tail light wiring? It can't be this simple.

I've read about you guys saying it needs to be grounded and what not, but I don't know where to do that and it doesn't look like the camera comes with a grounding wire option?

I am relatively a novice at all of this and have a 2010 bu. Hmm, any help would help!

Jorge94
07-24-2014, 06:27 AM
Hey all. I decided to get a new radio in my car that I've yet to hook up yet. It has a rear view camera option on it; so naturally, I went and got a camera to hook up to it. I think I have the hooking-up my radio part down, but I am a bit confused on how to install the camera.

The radio I got is a Kenwood KIV-701. The installation manual .pdf is this: http://manual2.jvckenwood.com/files/4db4d52a16e90.pdf and the wiring diagram is page 80.

The camera I got is this cheapie from e-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281357610878?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

The head unit comes with a Rear View Camera RCA cord (yellow), a REVERSE wire (purple/white), and a PRK SW - paring sensor wire (green) directly hardwired coming out of the back of the unit.

The camera comes with the RCA video cord to go into the rear view camera RCA plug of the head unit and it also comes with a power cord. Am I to just connect this RCA to the RCA in the head unit and then tap the power cord into the rear tail light wiring? It can't be this simple.

I've read about you guys saying it needs to be grounded and what not, but I don't know where to do that and it doesn't look like the camera comes with a grounding wire option?

I am relatively a novice at all of this and have a 2010 bu. Hmm, any help would help!

saw your post on the other thread, and sorry but I did not install this myself so I am of no help.

jasko
07-24-2014, 07:20 PM
saw your post on the other thread, and sorry but I did not install this myself so I am of no help.

Damn. Well, thanks for posting. I'm still hoping someone else can help me out!

jjoh243
07-25-2014, 06:43 AM

This is from memory.

I hooked mine up myself. We don't have the same camera or head unit but I'm pretty sure that you run wire from the head unit's reverse on connection to the hot reverse light cable. It's light green and white located under the fabric near the 6x9s. It's bundled so be careful. I then ran the RCA from the camera to the unit.(duh) The black cord from my camera is what I grounded on the screw that holds the tail light in. Also, there is a grommet in that area that I used to get the wiring in/out. Let me know if you have any problems and I will check my installation for accuracy in this post.