Intermittant burning smell out of a/c ducts [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Intermittant burning smell out of a/c ducts

ruffbiker
05-17-2013, 06:57 PM
My wife's 2013 Malibu has an intermittant burning smell ( smells like burning brakes/ clutch ) out of a/c ducts with a/c on. It occurs about 2 minutes after a/c is turned and lasts about 2 minutes. It is enough to make anyone in the car sick. Had it to the dealer and they could not duplicate problem. It will do it sitting still so I know it is not a brake problem. It is also not a moldy smell and the car has 10k and this is just the beginning of it's first summer. Any help would be appreciated.

Rodents
05-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Are you using the A/C, or just pulling fresh air in without engaging the A/C?

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-18-2013, 06:25 AM
My wife's 2013 Malibu has an intermittant burning smell ( smells like burning brakes/ clutch ) out of a/c ducts with a/c on. It occurs about 2 minutes after a/c is turned and lasts about 2 minutes. It is enough to make anyone in the car sick. Had it to the dealer and they could not duplicate problem. It will do it sitting still so I know it is not a brake problem. It is also not a moldy smell and the car has 10k and this is just the beginning of it's first summer. Any help would be appreciated.

ruffbiker,

I am sorry that you and your wife are having these concerns. I would like to contact your dealer, so we can try and get your issue resolved. Can you please private message me your name, address, phone number, VIN, mileage, and the name of the GM dealership you are working with? I look forward to hearing from you.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service

ruffbiker
06-07-2013, 09:41 PM
I finally got the smell to come out of a/c ducts ( a/c on ) with a tech from dealer in car on the third day I took it there. They took cabin filter out and put it in a plastic bag and left it in the sun for a few hours. When they opened the bag, the smell was horrible. They installed a new cabin filter, and we have not had any more awful smell. They are sending filter to G.M. to have them check filter. What I would like to know is if filter was contaminated at filter factory or by some one on assembly line. We can now enjoy car on a hot day. Thanks to all that tried to help.

nutcrunch
06-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Wow that is really weird. I wonder what the hell was wrong with that filter?

chevyorange
06-07-2013, 11:28 PM
When I first got my car the first few weeks I smelled (faintly) burning rubber at the end of trips. I figured it was just new belts & hoses & components breaking in.

There is no more smell after 3k miles.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
06-08-2013, 08:35 AM
ruffbiker,

I am glad everything was taken care of at the dealership. Enjoy your Malibu!

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Service

nutcrunch
06-08-2013, 09:13 AM
The only thing our Malibu has ever smelled like was the new car smell... and well gas after a few Taco Bell runs. http://football.freeforums.org/images/smilies/EmbarrassedSmiley.gif

ruffbiker
07-22-2013, 07:48 PM
This is an update on my wife's 2013 Malibu with intermittant burning smell out of A/C ducts with A/C ON. After the cabin filter was replaced about 2 months ago ( about 3000 miles ago ) the smell has just reappeared. Called dealer, service manager said to come in and he would have cabin filter changed again. Wife went in, filter changed, she drove home the 30 miles. She said to me, " I think the smell is still there". Test drove car with her and duplicated the smell. So I don't believe the problem is bad cabin filters. Called service manager and left message. Tech Paul called and said he would do some research and call back. HELP !!

jmgarcia12
07-22-2013, 09:19 PM
This happened to me today. Although, in my case I was hauling ass to 80 mph while getting up onto the freeway with the A/C set to Auto (not recir). :D

Yes, it quickly went away...

chevyorange
07-22-2013, 11:58 PM
It may be coincidence or just my sensitive nose but after every drive in my last two Chevys when I got out I smelled burning rubber smell. 08 and 13 Chevy. I've had to assume it was my driving.

As for HVAC, I've never smelled anything improper blowing out the vents.

Can you smell it outside the car too or only inside?

Chevrolet Customer Svc
07-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Hi ruffbiker,

We're sorry to hear about the issues you're having with your wife's 2013 Malibu. We trust that the dealership will be able to resolve whatever is causing this burning smell in your vehicle. If you need any additional assistance with this matter, please let us know.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care