KeyFob wont work HELP!!!! [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: KeyFob wont work HELP!!!!

EvilTimeGod
12-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Ok i have a 2004 malibu maxx ls and alittle while ago my battery died so i got a new one and put it in, and now my keyfob wont work at all and it worked right up untill i changed my battery is there anyway to fix it like reset it or something?

Lee
12-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Are you sure the battery is not upside down?

Lee
12-15-2008, 12:16 PM
If the battery is correct, the dealer may reprogram it for free.

EvilTimeGod
12-15-2008, 01:44 PM
Yeah i checked the battery and its fine. Thanks ill call the dealership and see if what they can do for me. Ill try replacing the battery to just to make sure.

Malibu Glow
12-15-2008, 05:43 PM
Not sure but I think you can push both the lock and unlock button, at the same time, on your remote while next to your car and this might get it to work again.

sik mali
12-15-2008, 07:17 PM
I bought an 08 mali, and about 6 mo later the clicker didn't work well; changed the batt and still the same. I went to the dealer and they replaced and programed the new one in about a half hour.

EvilTimeGod
12-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Well ill see what happens ill try the butten thing but im calling the dealership eather way because my factory radio is broken and i want to see if they cover it still well see. Thanks for the help guys.

Sparks
01-27-2009, 02:25 PM
sik mali- What was going on with your key fob that didn't work well? Yesterday all of a sudden mine wouldn't lock or unlock the door unless I pressed it numerous times. I can't believe that the battery would go bad after 8 months since the batteries in our Ford key fobs have lasted 5+ years without having to change them. I know it must be the key fob since my spare keys work great.

Malibu Glow
01-31-2009, 10:03 AM
Sparks, the cold weather can effect how the keyfob works. Think what cold weather does to a battery in a car in overall reducing it's power output for start up. I sometimes have to hit the button on my keyfob a few times to get mine to unlock and the batteries in them are as old as the keyfob, about two years old since when I bought this car of mine it didn't come with a keyfob and I had to purchase one.

Sparks
02-01-2009, 10:02 AM
I would agree Malibu Glow except that my key fob really never gets exposed to the cold like the car battery does. The remote is always either in the house, in my pocket or in a warm car. Next time I go to the dealer I am going to have them check it out.

Malibu Glow
02-01-2009, 10:07 AM
Well a battery still gets affected by the temperature differences.

rikmeister
02-01-2009, 10:56 AM
i know you can reprogram a key. i did it with my mountaineer. you have to turn the key on and off in the ingnition and do some other things. i would do a google search on it and see what you come up with.

Sparks
02-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Malibu Glow-I appreciate your input so if I came across differently I apologize. I am going to try to reprogram it before I go to the dealer.

Malibu Glow
02-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Sparks, do you have the owners manual handy? Check in the index for the remote key fob and go to the pages for it, I think it might give a brief discription on programming the key fob, since it's the original, I do know that it does talk about replacing the battery and something about having to reset it, which I think is to be next to the car and press both the unlock and lock button at the same time.

Sparks
02-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Looked in the manual and nothing about reprogramming the key fob. What it did say is if the battery needs replacing in the key fob the DIC will tell you.

mauzbiz
10-06-2009, 12:49 AM
Sorry, I don't think any of the answers suggested are correct. The fob battery lasts a long time and the fob is generally on one's person or comes from the house; and to boot, replacing them does not solve the problem!

My 2004 Malibu key fob(s) had to be replaced several times. A hard push was required on most buttons. I looked inside before returning them for warranty replacement. There appears to be a broken solder connection which won't touch until a lot of pressure is applied--I've seen it twice. Because it was under warranty, I did not want to try to resolder, but I think that would work.

GM needs to toughen up the internals of this model of fob! While they are at it, they should know that the trunk open button sometimes accidentally gets pushed by other keys in one's pocket and should require being pushed twice in succession to operate. I also have seen my panic button activated accidently by other keys, and it should be further sunk into the fob case to avoid this. These design flaws may have been fixed in subsequent fob models.

Red LTZ
10-06-2009, 09:00 PM
That would be fob-ulous!!!