Condensation in Headlights [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Condensation in Headlights

Schwartz
12-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Today I noticed that there is condensation in both of my headlights. Anyone else notice this happening on theirs? This is the first time I have noticed any. It shouldn't be happening should it? I thought they were supposed to be sealed. My last car had seals on the caps but I wouldn't know with the Malibu because you can't see them without ripping the front end apart.

Malibu Glow
12-20-2008, 08:40 AM
None of these car have sealed headlights, there's an air vent on them and it is possible that condensation can get in there, a little is no problem but if the headlight has standing water in the bottom then there's something wrong, I.E. cracked or broken seal or damage to the rear of the housing.

beach
12-28-2008, 01:49 PM
I've been thinking for a while that the lights on mom's '08 looked slightly fogged, ever so faintly, whether it be on the inside or out--especially once I got my '09 and could do a side by side comparo.

Her '08 (very slight, kinda cloudy upper half...easier to notice in person):
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/My%20Cars%20Stuff/08%20Malibu/December%2028%202008/Image00001.jpg

My '09:
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/My%20Cars%20Stuff/09%20Malibu/December%2028%202008/Image00001.jpg

Then yesterday while washing hers, the horror, I noticed the passenger's side light all of a sudden (it may have been like this for a little while, but not long) had quite a bit of moisture on 2 large areas inside the lense. I wondered if it might dissipate at all with sunlight and warmth today but, no dice, it almost seems more noticeable after a dry day.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/My%20Cars%20Stuff/08%20Malibu/December%2028%202008/Image00002.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/My%20Cars%20Stuff/08%20Malibu/December%2028%202008/Image00003.jpg

So yeah, one of ours now has the same issue. Once she finds out it will likely head in and I presume a replacement of the assembly. 2 cars ago, she had an '02 Avalanche that developed the exact same kind of moisture in one of the lower foglights and that was the remedy.

Schwartz
12-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Let us know what the dealer says. I'll wait until mine gets really bad before I take it in. With my luck they'll tell me its normal.

beach
12-29-2008, 03:40 AM
Let us know what the dealer says. I'll wait until mine gets really bad before I take it in. With my luck they'll tell me its normal.

These things are generally pretty simple when it comes to moisture in the lights. Unless there's a clear TSB, etc. from GM saying something just needs cleaned or sealed, replacement is the norm. At least I'd assume the same will be true here. Not my car and I'm still surprised I'm the only one who's noticed it, so I'll let it hang too until then.

Now...anyone else but just the 2 of our cars out there with wet headlights, inside?

Truitt
01-02-2009, 01:15 PM
I am having the same problem in both headlights. The moisture is showing up like in your picture, beach; along the side of the front blinker and above it.

We had a good rain here and I touch-free washed the car and it got even worse. At night, after I am done driving long distances with the head lights on, the moister is built up in larger droplets near the high beams and the entire assembly seems fogged over like an old Dodge Neon.

I brought it up when I got my oil serviced a few weeks ago and they said that it was normal (of course, it always is!) and that when it starts drying up it'll go away. I have had this problem since October, and we had nearly a month-long period with no rain and I did not wash it and it never went away.

TMoneyR523
01-02-2009, 03:33 PM
No moisture in mine yet! Thank God.. I'm glad to see these pics though.. not because of the moisture but you notice how the headlight has a blue surrounding? I was worried mine was all screwed up!

Good luck with your investigation though.

Malibu Glow
01-03-2009, 09:16 AM
None of these car have sealed headlights, there's an air vent on them and it is possible that condensation can get in there, a little is no problem but if the headlight has standing water in the bottom then there's something wrong, I.E. cracked or broken seal or damage to the rear of the housing.

For most of cars and trucks that have the daytime running lights you will see condensation after the headlights have cooled down from them being on. This happens with most of them that have the DRL system, some not as much as others. Remember what happens when glass or plastic cools down from a warm temperature to a cold temperature, condensation forms. So when they say it's normal on this they are not joking, and as I've mentioned there is a vent on these housings.

beach
01-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Another week of sun, cold, warmth and lots of driving daytime & at night with the lights on, and the passenger's side light depicted above on our '08 looks exactly the same. I noticed it again today as I was backing down the driveway towards it.

Not normal, I'd say, just like it wasn't with our Avalanche's fog light. It'll eventually make it to the dealer, but no rush in the meantime.

Truitt
01-03-2009, 10:21 PM
I cannot see how condensation is normal. However, I have spoken to a friend's father whom is a mechanic. He told me it looked like the seals where the lights are (he said that, by the markings, it could be any lights since I drive with lights on always) need to be replaced or do not fit properly. I asked him about "air vents" or some other slits or holes aside from where the bulbs go in and he laughed and asked "Why would you have those?"

Malibu Glow
01-04-2009, 08:27 AM
I cannot see how condensation is normal. However, I have spoken to a friend's father whom is a mechanic. He told me it looked like the seals where the lights are (he said that, by the markings, it could be any lights since I drive with lights on always) need to be replaced or do not fit properly. I asked him about "air vents" or some other slits or holes aside from where the bulbs go in and he laughed and asked "Why would you have those?"

There are vents on these, and on any make or model car with composite headlights there are vents, every manufacturer has them. I've taken apart a few cars and seen these vents with a piece of a rubber hose that has a slit on the end allowing air in, condensation will form when the headlights cool down, that's nature for you.

justin lamanna
01-06-2009, 08:36 AM
my lights are both fogged and have a lot of condinsation in them as well, i'm going ot hte dealer ans will let everyoen know what they say. IMO, i think it looks like crap and is unacceptable to have a brnad new car with this problem.

the think that sucks is that the dealer will have to take the entire front end apart to get the lights out and i'm willign ot bet that it will not be put back together correcetly.....

jfb423
01-07-2009, 01:32 PM
xTooltipElement
Service Information 2008 Chevrolet Malibu | Malibu (VIN Z) Service Manual | View All Bulletins | Document ID: 2127719
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#01-08-42-001F: Exterior Lamp Condensation and Replacement Guidelines - (May 2, 2008)

Subject: Exterior Lamp Condensation and Replacement Guidelines

Models: 1993-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)

2003-2009 HUMMER H2

2006-2009 HUMMER H3

2005-2009 Saab 9-7X

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-08-42-001E (Section 08 -- Body & Accessories).

The following information is being provided to better define the causes of condensation in exterior lamps and includes guidelines for determining the difference between a lamp with a normal atmospheric condition (condensation) and a lamp with a water leak.

Some exterior lamps, such as cornering, turn signal, backup, headlamps or tail lamps may exhibit very small droplets of water, a fine mist or white fog (condensation) on the inside of the lamp lens. This may be more noticeable on lamps with "multi-lens" designs and may be normal during certain weather conditions.

Condensation occurs when the air inside the lamp assembly, through atmospheric changes, reaches the "dew point". When this takes place, the moisture in the air within the lamp assembly condenses, creating a fine mist or white fog on the inside surface of the lamp lens.

Most exterior lamps on General Motors vehicles use a vented design and feature a replaceable bulb assembly. They are designed to remove any accumulated moisture vapor by expelling it through a vent system. The vent system operates at all times, however, it is most effective when the lamps are ON or when the vehicle is in motion. Depending on the size, shape and location of the lamp on the vehicle, and the atmospheric conditions occurring, the amount of time required to clear the lamp may vary from 2 to 6 hours.

Completely sealed headlamp assemblies (sealed beams) are still used on a limited number of models being manufactured today. These lamps require the replacement of the complete lamp assembly if a bulb filament burns out.

Condensation
2006 TrailBlazer Shown

A Fine Mist or White Fog on the Inside Surface of the Lamp Lens Occurring After a Period of High Humidity
• May be located primarily in the lens corners (near the vents) and SHOULD NOT cover more than half the lens surface.

• The condition should clear of moisture when the vehicle is parked in a dry environment, or when the vehicle is driven with the lights ON.

• A comparison of the equivalent lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle indicates a SIMILAR performance.

If the above conditions are noted, the customer should be advised that replacement of a lamp assembly may not correct this condition.

Water Leak
New Style Pickup Shown

Numerous & Various Size Drops of Water Collecting on the Inside Surface of the Lamp Lens After the Vehicle Has Been Exposed to Rain or a Car Washing Environment
• A condition that covers more than half the surface of the lamp lens.

• An accumulation of water in the bottom of the lamp assembly.

• A condition that WON'T clear when the vehicle is parked in a dry environment, or when the vehicle is driven with the lights ON.

• A comparison of the equivalent lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle indicates a different performance.

Any of the above conditions would indicate the need to service the lens or lamp assembly.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Malibu Glow
01-07-2009, 02:17 PM
xTooltipElement
Service Information 2008 Chevrolet Malibu | Malibu (VIN Z) Service Manual | View All Bulletins | Document ID: 2127719

#01-08-42-001F: Exterior Lamp Condensation and Replacement Guidelines - (May 2, 2008)

Subject: Exterior Lamp Condensation and Replacement Guidelines

Models: 1993-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)

2003-2009 HUMMER H2

2006-2009 HUMMER H3

2005-2009 Saab 9-7X

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-08-42-001E (Section 08 -- Body & Accessories).

The following information is being provided to better define the causes of condensation in exterior lamps and includes guidelines for determining the difference between a lamp with a normal atmospheric condition (condensation) and a lamp with a water leak.

Some exterior lamps, such as cornering, turn signal, backup, headlamps or tail lamps may exhibit very small droplets of water, a fine mist or white fog (condensation) on the inside of the lamp lens. This may be more noticeable on lamps with "multi-lens" designs and may be normal during certain weather conditions.

Condensation occurs when the air inside the lamp assembly, through atmospheric changes, reaches the "dew point". When this takes place, the moisture in the air within the lamp assembly condenses, creating a fine mist or white fog on the inside surface of the lamp lens.

Most exterior lamps on General Motors vehicles use a vented design and feature a replaceable bulb assembly. They are designed to remove any accumulated moisture vapor by expelling it through a vent system. The vent system operates at all times, however, it is most effective when the lamps are ON or when the vehicle is in motion. Depending on the size, shape and location of the lamp on the vehicle, and the atmospheric conditions occurring, the amount of time required to clear the lamp may vary from 2 to 6 hours.

Completely sealed headlamp assemblies (sealed beams) are still used on a limited number of models being manufactured today. These lamps require the replacement of the complete lamp assembly if a bulb filament burns out.

Condensation
2006 TrailBlazer Shown

A Fine Mist or White Fog on the Inside Surface of the Lamp Lens Occurring After a Period of High Humidity
• May be located primarily in the lens corners (near the vents) and SHOULD NOT cover more than half the lens surface.

• The condition should clear of moisture when the vehicle is parked in a dry environment, or when the vehicle is driven with the lights ON.

• A comparison of the equivalent lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle indicates a SIMILAR performance.

If the above conditions are noted, the customer should be advised that replacement of a lamp assembly may not correct this condition.

Water Leak
New Style Pickup Shown

Numerous & Various Size Drops of Water Collecting on the Inside Surface of the Lamp Lens After the Vehicle Has Been Exposed to Rain or a Car Washing Environment

• A condition that WON'T clear when the vehicle is parked in a dry environment, or when the vehicle is driven with the lights ON.

• A comparison of the equivalent lamp on the opposing side of the vehicle indicates a different performance.

Any of the above conditions would indicate the need to service the lens or lamp assembly.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2009 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Now there's finally an article that backs up what I've been saying.

Schwartz
09-12-2009, 11:08 AM
When I had the car in for the steering problem they asked if I had any other problems. I mentioned the condensation in my headlights that would happen and last for a couple days at a time. The tech said he would need to see it. I said I had pictures but didn't have them with me. I let it go that time and figured I'd get back to it sometime.

I had to take my car in for the rear passenger door lock not working and the tech asked me if I had any other problems. I mentioned the headlights again and I said I had mentioned it to the other tech but he said he would need to see it. He asked me how long it lasted, etc. and said he'd order a couple of headlights with the door actuator too. I wasn't expecting that but I will follow up if I have any other problems with the lights.

ptrakman@comcast.net
11-11-2009, 04:16 PM
My 08 LS has the exact same problem but only on the pass side. It just recently started, and looks like water has been sprayed inside the lense. I have had it parked in my garage for several days and it does not appear to be going away. Does anyody know of any recalls or service bulletins on this issue.

08chevymalibultz
04-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Does anybody have or still have this problem? I had my passenger light replaced last year because of water build-up in it. The driver side fogs and then goes away after time, really looks like CRAP when it is fogged. GM will only replace it if there is a lot of water collecting in the bottom of light. The Passenger side were they replace the headlight does not fog at all now, not even a little. I wonder if they had redesigned the headlights after the 08 model or after some complaints? Now you can see that one light is new because the other does not look as clear as the other headlight. I know that GM is searching online sites to address and correct problems with current GM vehicles and I thought of this and was wondering if the 2009-2010 are having this problem? I like my Malibu but there are a few complaints that I do have with the car and this is one of them. I have not had or noticed this problem with any of my cars that I had owned in the past. Note: Have had owed alot more than a few in the last 25 years of driving.

08chevymalibultz
02-18-2011, 10:23 PM
UPDATE: Are there other owners with the condensation problems in their headlights still? I still get this problem on the driver side of my car. It will last for days at a time but will sometimes clear-up. As soon as it clears it comes back again and sometimes worse than other days! You can see the water on the inside of the headlight and it fogs up too! They had replaced my passenger side and it is like night and day! The one light replaced does not get any condensation at all and does not fog up at all. I just don't understand why they did not or would not replace both? The Dealership claims that their has to be a puddle collecting on the bottom of the headlight before GM will replace it! Ridiculous! This has to be a safety issue along with possible problems with electrical later down the road! Now I hope Michelle from GM Customer Service can convince my Dealership to replace it as they should! Problem/issue # 1

DrivenDaily
02-19-2011, 03:57 AM
So long as it's still under 3/36 it should be covered. If not, find another dealer.

Screechymon
02-21-2011, 12:37 PM
I have had this problem before, however I've been fortunate with my Malibu not to have too many problems so far.

What I did to an other car was I drilled a small hole (1/16"-3/32") in the bottom corner of the light and it seemed to solve the problem for me.

08chevymalibultz
02-21-2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks for sharing the info that you have done on another car! I don’t think I would want to try to drill any holes in my headlight, being concerned I would mess something up! My headlight will clear on it’s own time to time! "Today it is clear" It seem to depend on the weather and how long and how often I drive the Malibu. My understanding is that there are already some vent holes in the headlights coming from the factory. This should had been replaced without question since if you don't have a proper seal around your car’s headlight assembly, condensation can collect on the inside of the lens and the outside of the bulb and wiring. This can cause electrical shorts, diminished headlight bulb life and decreased nighttime visibility. Now GM has advised their Dealerships with the following: Do not replace headlights unless water is collecting on the bottom of the headlight assembly, there are vent holes! This is wrong and in my opinion a way to cut their cost, in the mean time leaves some angry customers with poor headlights and problems later due to GM refusing to repair/fix something that is under warranty! Now if any Customer Service Agent could look at this problem and the kind of response from GM and their Dealerships, They should honestly admit this is just unacceptable period!

Again My passenger headlight that was replaced does not have this issue at all! There is something wrong with the original headlights! Maybe a Manufacturer error/problem at that time period? There seems to be some problems with headlights in the 2008-2009 time frame with the Malibu's, from what I have seen here on this site! I have heard others that had no problems getting their headlights replaced from their Dealership while others Like my self have gotten cheated/ripped off in my opinion! Now If GM had just replaced them, I would not be complaining and have all this bad stuff to say! Hopefully I can get it replace, like real soon because my bumper to bumper warranty is about to expire next Month! My Dealership has already seen this problem with this headlight When there was Condensation showing. I had purposely drove their in the past to show them and had the Advisor come outside to look at it but just refused to replace because he said GM would not cover it unless it was Collecting water on the Bottom! Unbelievable!

Screechymon
02-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks for sharing the info that you have done on another car! I don’t think I would want to try to drill any holes in my headlight, being concerned I would mess something up! My headlight will clear on it’s own time to time! "Today it is clear" It seem to depend on the weather and how long and how often I drive the Malibu. My understanding is that there are already some vent holes in the headlights coming from the factory. This should had been replaced without question since if you don't have a proper seal around your car’s headlight assembly, condensation can collect on the inside of the lens and the outside of the bulb and wiring. This can cause electrical shorts, diminished headlight bulb life and decreased nighttime visibility. Now GM has advised their Dealerships with the following: Do not replace headlights unless water is collecting on the bottom of the headlight assembly, there are vent holes! This is wrong and in my opinion a way to cut their cost, in the mean time leaves some angry customers with poor headlights and problems later due to GM refusing to repair/fix something that is under warranty! Now if any Customer Service Agent could look at this problem and the kind of response from GM and their Dealerships, They should honestly admit this is just unacceptable period!

Again My passenger headlight that was replaced does not have this issue at all! There is something wrong with the original headlights! Maybe a Manufacturer error/problem at that time period? There seems to be some problems with headlights in the 2008-2009 time frame with the Malibu's, from what I have seen here on this site! I have heard others that had no problems getting their headlights replaced from their Dealership while others Like my self have gotten cheated/ripped off in my opinion! Now If GM had just replaced them, I would not be complaining and have all this bad stuff to say! Hopefully I can get it replace, like real soon because my bumper to bumper warranty is about to expire next Month! My Dealership has already seen this problem with this headlight When there was Condensation showing. I had purposely drove their in the past to show them and had the Advisor come outside to look at it but just refused to replace because he said GM would not cover it unless it was Collecting water on the Bottom! Unbelievable!

Hey I, realize your fired up, annoyed with the problem. I was only stating that I had that problem in another car, and that was how I countered it, drilling a small hole.

A hole that small will not really allow water to go into it easily, you'll really have to work for it, but it will allow for minor air movement, and thus allowing the atmosphere in the head light the same as the outside, which could result in reduced condensation and water droplet buildup. This is a option none the less, if GM decides to corn hole you further. Atleast you have a option to try it before you buy new light housings. I wish you the best of luck in regards to your dealings with GM/ your local dealership.

08chevymalibultz
02-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Hey I, realize your fired up, annoyed with the problem. I was only stating that I had that problem in another car, and that was how I countered it, drilling a small hole.

A hole that small will not really allow water to go into it easily, you'll really have to work for it, but it will allow for minor air movement, and thus allowing the atmosphere in the head light the same as the outside, which could result in reduced condensation and water droplet buildup. This is a option none the less, if GM decides to corn hole you further. Atleast you have a option to try it before you buy new light housings. I wish you the best of luck in regards to your dealings with GM/ your local dealership.

I was not lashing out on you or a least that was not my intention! That’s why I had said thanks for the info! I would have to look at these lights some more, since you can’t take them out without having to pull the front bumper. I just would not want to screw it up and have more issues right now until I know were I am going with this at the time! I am waiting for the issue with condensation to act-up fully again and I am going to try another dealership! If no luck there, the next step after that is to Call GM and lets them know how unhappy I am with the situation and have had no luck getting this resolved! Have not heard anything with the GM Customer Service Rep here on this site yet either! Hopefully this person is really who they say they are and can be some assistance!

Again that’s for the info!

PS. There are Vent Holes in these lights, Don't know if more holes would help or not? Personally I doubt it! Nice thought anyways! There is most likely a Seal problem/flaw within the assembly of the light. The New/replacement headlights don't do this/have this issue!

normanst
02-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I don't know if this will help because it is what I did on a 99 and two 04's. My 2010 has no problems so I'm not sure the headlamp assemblies are similar.The drivers side lamp on my 99 leaked badly. I pulled the lamps, dried out the lens assy. with a hair dryer set on low. The lamp was inserted into a plastic fixture that had an "O" ring seal to seal it into the lens. I cleaned the seat and seal and lubricated it with silicone grease. I never had another problem. I had to do the same thing to one headlamp on my 04 and to both headlamps on a neighbors 04. None of them ever had problems. The neighbor still has her 04.If the generation 7 has the same sealing method give it a try it can't hurt.

08chevymalibultz
02-24-2011, 01:35 PM
I really appreciate all the responses and welcome everyone’s thoughts and input! I want to say this in full respect, I should not have to pull the Whole Bumper off and drill any holes to modified the headlights because of an factory defect! This is covered under my Bumper to bumper Warranty and should be replaced if there is a Condensation Problem and should not be getting any run around or refusal from GM and their Dealerships. They are not honoring their responsibility part of the deal. IT is just wrong on their part! Hopefully things will change and I get what I paid for and deserve since it is still under warranty!

All I can say is Chevy Customer Service Reps, Please Help!

Screechymon
02-24-2011, 02:06 PM
I really appreciate all the responses and welcome everyone’s thoughts and input! I want to say this in full respect, I should not have to pull the Whole Bumper off and drill any holes to modified the headlights because of an factory defect! This is covered under my Bumper to bumper Warranty and should be replaced if there is a Condensation Problem and should not be getting any run around or refusal from GM and their Dealerships. They are not honoring their responsibility part of the deal. IT is just wrong on their part! Hopefully things will change and I get what I paid for and deserve since it is still under warranty!

All I can say is Chevy Customer Service Reps, Please Help!

Have you tried sending them a PM?

08chevymalibultz
02-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Have you tried sending them a PM?

A Chevy Customer Service Rep has already PM me and I had responded with some information to get them started. I am hoping for the best and they can really be some assistance. If they are who they say they are on this site and get some results/correct this issue for me, I will truly appreciate it. This would be good news for everyone here on the site!:) We will see and time will tell, which I don’t have a lot of, since my warranty is just about to expire this coming month!

Screechymon
02-24-2011, 02:57 PM
A Chevy Customer Service Rep has already PM me and I had responded with some information to get them started. I am hoping for the best and they can really be some assistance. If they are who they say they are on this site and get some results/correct this issue for me, I will truly appreciate it. This would be good news for everyone here on the site!:) We will see and time will tell, which I don’t have a lot of, since my warranty is just about to expire this coming month!

Cool :cool: I hope things work out for the best for you! :D

DrivenDaily
02-24-2011, 04:02 PM
I've sent the Cust Svc "member" a PM and haven't heard back yet. If it's like the last time they were a member it'll take a week or two, if they even respond. So I'll just be patient.

But only for so long.

kckettridge
03-11-2011, 01:29 AM
We just purchased an '08 LS this past Sunday and noticed on Monday morning that there was condensation in the left headlight lens. Service Advisor at the dealer said that this was a normal occurrence with the Malibu's; Impala's and Sierra's. I wonder if any Camry's or Accord's have this issue?

DrivenDaily
03-11-2011, 03:40 AM
It may be "normal" for early models but it's still not acceptable. When I had my '09 the right headlight started to show condensation and they replaced it. Now GM says that water has to be pooling before they'll do anything. That's a load of I-Don't-Care crap from them, but hey, they're the ones taking our money and doing what they want instead of what they should.

Since you just bought it you might be able to lean on them and tell them that you didn't buy it for the variable internal frosting feature and you'd like it fixed.

08chevymalibultz
03-16-2011, 09:37 AM
The Malibu went into the shop for the Condensation problem along with the other issues today! Just my luck the headlight was clear today and they could not do anything for me. Now let me remind you all that this is the same Service Advisor that I have been going through the whole time since i have had the Malibu!

He has seen the Condensation Problem in the past when I drove there to show him and remembers that but since GM has this stupid stipulations and note about replacing because of Condensation Problems, they will just not replace even knowing that this is not good! Very Poor on GM's part if you ask me! It is not the Dealerships Fault! They can only do so much too! Remember they are not going to do a job unless they are going to get Paid from GM! All in All, Unacceptable!

If they had put a better quality headlights in the car or chose a better Manufacture Supplier , I would not have to experience this at all! Obviously if they had to replace everyone’s headlights , it would be expensive and a company lost in $$$, Now it is my loss$!

Even the staff recognizes / has seen how many times I had to bring the Malibu to the Service department / dealership for one issue after another!

08chevymalibultz
03-17-2011, 06:05 AM
The Malibu went into the shop for the Condensation problem along with the other issues today! Just my luck the headlight was clear today and they could not do anything for me. Now let me remind you all that this is the same Service Advisor that I have been going through the whole time since i have had the Malibu!

He has seen the Condensation Problem in the past when I drove there to show him and remembers that but since GM has this stupid stipulations and note about replacing because of Condensation Problems, they will just not replace even knowing that this is not good! Very Poor on GM's part if you ask me! It is not the Dealerships Fault! They can only do so much too! Remember they are not going to do a job unless they are going to get Paid from GM! All in All, Unacceptable!

If they had put a better quality headlights in the car or chose a better Manufacture Supplier , I would not have to experience this at all! Obviously if they had to replace everyone’s headlights , it would be expensive and a company lost in $$$, Now it is my loss$!

Even the staff recognizes / has seen how many times I had to bring the Malibu to the Service department / dealership for one issue after another!

I looked at the Headlight this morning and sure enough it was already starting to get Condensation in it! It really depends on the weather and sometimes how often I drive it. It varies and comes and goes but a continuous problem! The other side that was replaced still does not have this issue! Go figure!:rolleyes::mad:

Since day one when they replaced the Passenger Side Headlight, you can really see the how Clear and better Quality the Headlight is on the Replacement! So I can only guess they changed Suppliers! I wonder why?

Note: The Headlight on the Passenger Side was replaced when the car was fairly new, So age has noting to do with it! Even the plastic inside the housing on the Replacements looks Shinier and better quality than the originals! If I had showed you my car, you would without a doubt guess which one was replaced! The Old one looks like crap compared to the replacement!

08chevymalibultz
03-17-2011, 09:23 PM
Milo,

I really appreciate your caring support along with the rest of the guys here on the site, thank you! I have tried everything except another dealership! Most everyone at my dealership are really nice even my Service Advisor but he seems to be afraid to make a claim unless one of the techs write it up! Now when I just brought it to the Dealership, a tech did look at it but no condensation occurred at the time!

The Chevy Customer Service on the site is very limited as for assistance since I was directed to go back to my dealership for their final decision! I have mentioned about them Contacting my Service Advisor and talking/confirming with him that I have driven there to the dealership and had brought him outside to look at it and there was Condensation but just no water collecting on the bottom!

They did help me by showing me the Technical Departments Guidelines which I pretty much already knew about but I did appreciate the response and information that was given! Again, that still is not going to change anything for me and leaves/takes me back to the mercy of the Dealerships decision!

I really wish there was an easy solution/step to this but there is not, seems like I always run straight into a wall on this issue, “So to speak” and nobody cares! I have mentioned the Condensation problem more than once to the Service advisor but it just seems to not fit in the guidelines that he wants to see!

My Bumper to Bumper expirers 25th of this month according to my Onstar Records!

I was hoping the Customer Service here could do more for me but they can’t! I think the next step is for me to call GM directly! I have even considered buying/replacing the headlight out of pocket but I just think this is really unfair and unacceptable!Warranty?????

One thing I can say since owning the Malibu is this Site! It is really cool that everybody can share their thoughts and experiences about our cars and most of all is the help & support when someone needs it.

Again, Thanks!

PS. Chevy Customer Service, Any Suggestions?

08chevymalibultz
03-17-2011, 09:31 PM
HEADLIGHT CONDENSATION GUILD LINES: :

DrivenDaily
03-18-2011, 03:33 AM
Dude, there ya go! "... exposed to ... car washing environment". Go out and wash your car until it gets condensation. The whole reason the thing is fogging up like your other one did is because of a lousy assembly. The other one was replaced with one that was assembled better, most likely with an improved glue/sealant. Take the hose out and imitate a pouring rain at 70 mph. If you have a chair, take it with you. Better yet, if you can rig up a device to hold the hose pointing at the headlight, do that. You might even want to have the headlights on for a while to warm it up and make the seam stretch, hopefully opening up any cracks that are already there. Your aim is to get water inside from the outside by artificially placing the housing in an environment it experiences during its lifetime, and one in which it fails to perform adequately.

Hopefully relief is at hand! But you won't know if you don't try.

08chevymalibultz
03-26-2011, 10:42 AM
UPDATE:
My headlight was finally replaced under warranty. Thank god!

It only took multiple trips to dealership from day one of purchase and the very end of my Bumper to Bumper for some resolution. What a relief!

I drove to the car wash every other day and water/condensation was unbelievable! I took pictures with my camera as a back-up, if I had to pursuit a legal fight! I am just glad and relieved it was fixed and I don’t have to look at it anymore since it only pissed me off and thought even less of the car and dealership!

Now my headlights matches as they should and don’t have to worry about failure of the headlight, which we all know would have happened eventually because of the Water/Condensation problem!

I want to thank everybody for the support and advise!

Thanks,

08chevymalibultz

DrivenDaily
03-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Great news! And a great win for you!

08chevymalibultz
04-10-2011, 07:23 AM
Update again:

After getting my car back from the dealership, I had noticed the Bumper did not align correctly were it meets the corner panel and sticks out a little! You can actually see the worn off paint on the one area were it sticks out from this bumper being taken off and put back on so many times from repair work!

Does not look good and is noticeable! The car was at the dealership for three days during this work order / issues!

Took the car back the following week “After the weekend“ the dealership Service department made a appointment with the Body shop department “Manager” for 04/11/11, Tomorrow!

Now, this weekend I was washing my car and had noticed that there was an defect “crack running/traveling on the inner and outer edge of the Brand new Headlight that they just replaced! Great! Here we go again, “I am just over whelmed with the on going issues with this car“

I will be bringing this Defected Headlight to the Dealerships attention tomorrow, when I have to leave it for two weeks for further repair issues: Bumper not aligned or not put on correctly with Paint starting to wear off edge, Damaged trim around center vent after Dash Pad replacement, Headliner continues to rattle/creak after several attempts to correct/fix! !

NOTE: TO MICHELLE P. “CHEVY CUSTOMER SERVICE”, CAN YOU PLEASE DOCUMENT THIS TO THE PROPER DEPARTMENTS!

THANK YOU,

08CHEVYMALIBULTZ

PS. If you need me to PM you personally, please let me know? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Again, Thanks!