Door Chime, Turn signal noise [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Door Chime, Turn signal noise

Trh179
01-06-2009, 12:01 PM
I just purchased an 09 LTZ, I had an aftermarket stereo with navigation head unit, speakers, and a sub woofer put in by the dealer. The head unit is a Pioneer AVIC-f70bt. Since than the Door chime as well as the turn signal indicator noise has been unusually loud. It has been back one to have them turned down, but the volume is still too loud. I was wondering is anyone knew if this was an issue with the new head unit or the car itself? And if this is something I can modify myself or do I need to make another appointment with the dealer. Thanks.

chuck-D
02-26-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm having this same issue. The Onstar, door chimes and turn signal are routed through the factory stereo and output throu the speakers. Once you add more power using an amp, those signals get amp'd as well. I'm still looking for a fix for this if anyone has any answers, i'd love to hear it.

Gamedawg
09-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I too have this issue. It would be nice to know if there is a resolution, even if it means disabling the chime and clicker all together. Mine is an 09.

stheisen
07-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Has anyone resolved this? It's killing me that I just spent hours installing aftermarket components and this door chime is loud as hell no matter what volume I set it to. :mad:

Screechymon
07-30-2011, 10:23 AM
I surprised they even have sound... When I replaced my headunit with an aftermarket alpine ixa-W407, I lost those sounds, and I like it. They are annoying to me anyway. I don't now how/why you all still have them...

anyways :confused:

I fumbled around and found this idea, check out post #3:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68435

It may or may not help you solve your problems, as I said I don't have this issue in my Bu. so I can't test it.

Low Saturn
07-31-2011, 08:21 AM
In order to install an aftermarket headunit and retain chimes, turn signal clicks and RAP (retained accessory power), an aftermarket interface module is used. I'm using one from PAC. But Metra and Scosche also make them.

Mine was pretty loud as well, so I taped a square piece of plactic over the speaker opening on the module. Muffled the sound enough so it isnt as loud and annoying, but can still be faintly heard.

This is the interface module I'm using. You can see the speaker hole kind of off center in the center of the module.

http://home.ntelos.net/~specialtysal/c2rgm11.jpg

DrivenDaily
07-31-2011, 04:07 PM
What???

The chime the clickers on the stocker come through the front left speaker on the door. Thinking about it, though, it seems better this way. I've noticed that when there are competing alarms, i.e. turn click and door ajar, the more important one will cancel the lesser one. Does the PAC make multiple sounds at the same time or does it play them with a similar hierarchy?

Low Saturn
08-01-2011, 07:57 AM
Does the PAC make multiple sounds at the same time or does it play them with a similar hierarchy?

Never noticed. Mine are pretty low though. I dont like the tones too loud. When I had the factory radio and had set to low as well. But I'll see if the PAC module makes multiple warnings today.

stheisen
08-02-2011, 06:39 AM
Thank you for all the replies.

I have installed a PAC-Audio AOEM-GM1416A (http://www.pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=551&CategoryID=28) with my factory radio. This is how/why I retained the chimes in my 2008 Malibu. I have been installing competition grade car stereos for almost 20 years, and always replace the head unit. In order to install an after market stereo in this car, retain chimes and steering wheel controls I needed to spend upwards of $200 just on wiring harnesses/adapters. No Thanks! So, my goal on this car became to spend as little money as possible and install the system as stealthy as possible. Basically make a "sleeper system" if you will. This product by PAC audio is outstanding. I had my doubts but am BLOWN away by how clean and noise free my system sounds with a factory headunit. My friends/colleagues cannot believe it! My only complaint is that the PAC adapter's turn on wire turns on my amps when the radio "wakes up". This means each time a door is opened the amps kick on - i imagine this is so that you will hear the door chime if the lights are left on, or the keys are in the ignition, etc. I have thoughts about hooking my turn on wire to the ignition (at least with my subs) but have not done this yet.

Anyhow, as it turns out the gain for my front speakers was set way too high and once I adjusted it properly the door chime is significantly less annoying. Its louder than what I would like, but its not overpowering anymore like it was when I first stuck the key in to test my install.

Good luck guys, and if your looking to save some money this PAC-Audio adapter is the way to go. I found it on ebay for under $30, and figured I could always replace the head unit later if felt the need to. Since I basically just use the AUX jack, all I really need is a volume knob.

Let me know if you have any questions!

giligan602000
08-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Unfortunately there really isnt a simple answer to your question. The solution is going to depend on what harness/interface they used when they installed it, and exactly how it was installed. The 2 that I am most familiar with are very different in how they function.

The first, and probably most similar to the other interfaces on the market is the unit made by Metra: GMOS-LAN-04. If they used this, or another similar unit, the chimes are designed to retained thru the left front speaker just like the factory radio. Any time I have used it with an upgraded stereo and no amplifier, I have never seen any issues with it being too loud, and the volume can be adjusted. The only time I have seen an issue with it is when hooked up thru a 4 channel amplifier. The amplifier tends to overly amp the chimes and clicks. The only solution I have seen is to turn down the gain some, but this is not usually the best solution for sound quality, as the gains should be set to match the audio system. Unfortunately this is the more common style harness used in Malibus because it is the style that will retain OnStar.

I used a different harness on my personal vehicle because I did not want to retain onstar and knew I would be adding a 4 channel amp. The one I used is made by Scosche model GMLAN13SR. The advantage of this unit for this situation is the chimes are played thru a small speaker on the harness module itself, so are independant of any amplification. This means you can use whatever power levels or settings you want without having to worry about it making the chimes and clicks too loud. I believe the PAC brand interface functions the same way. Again the only downfall of this type of interface is that it will not retain OnStar.

jaeb0922
05-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Never noticed. Mine are pretty low though. I dont like the tones too loud. When I had the factory radio and had set to low as well. But I'll see if the PAC module makes multiple warnings today.

pretty old post... but I have to ask, how do you adjust the level of the chime noise?:confused:

DrivenDaily
05-13-2012, 03:41 AM
You get 2 options: Normal or Loud. Turn the key to ACC, turn the radio off, press and hold the sixth station preset button. You will get 2 chimes in the next mode. To return to the previous mode, press/hold again.

dc2009
05-13-2012, 05:04 AM
You get 2 options: Normal or Loud. Turn the key to ACC, turn the radio off, press and hold the sixth station preset button. You will get 2 chimes in the next mode. To return to the previous mode, press/hold again.

This procedure does NOT work on the factory radios without the USB port. These radios have only 1 level available.

jaeb0922
05-13-2012, 06:08 AM
This procedure does NOT work on the factory radios without the USB port. These radios have only 1 level available.

That stinks then. I have a 2011 2LT that has the mp3 3.5 plugin. The radio is navi ready, XM, Blue Tooth, and steering wheel controls. I asked in a prior thread if I was able to plug and play swap the radio for the USB one and have the dealer program it but hasnt been answered yet. Any info there? (sorry for the thread jacking!)