05 Malibu Maxx Shifter Problem [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: 05 Malibu Maxx Shifter Problem

Flemith
01-06-2009, 08:22 PM
I have a 2005 Malibu Maxx. I have an issue when I try to use the manual shift mode.
Sometimes when I shift to "L" and try to use it, it doesn't work.

I've been looking for what might be wrong and found a TSB for "loose shifter knob" (TSB 708, NHTSA 10016455).
I also found what seems to be a solution to the problem, but I'm not sure how the whole shift knob would affect the button on the side.
Here is a website I found with what I think may be my answer:http://www.topix.com/forum/autos/chevrolet/T04VBAQ5173DLAS9A/p78
(it's a quote in # 1567)

Anyone know if this is what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Malibu Glow
01-07-2009, 02:36 PM
No this won't have anything to do with the manual shift mode. Why in the first place are you wanting to use the manual mode?

Flemith
01-08-2009, 02:32 PM
No this won't have anything to do with the manual shift mode.

Ok, I didn't think it did anyways. I can't remember what it was that I read that lead me to beleive this.

Why in the first place are you wanting to use the manual mode?

I just want to know that everything in may car works if/when I ever need it.

I'm not quite sure what to do. I left a message for my service advisor the other day and she still hasn't gotten back to me.

Yury
01-08-2009, 02:41 PM
No this won't have anything to do with the manual shift mode. Why in the first place are you wanting to use the manual mode?

Driving in snow, downshifting in a curve..etc. Manual mode is the way to do it in that generation (as well as the current).

Malibu Glow
01-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Driving in snow, downshifting in a curve..etc. Manual mode is the way to do it in that generation (as well as the current).

I wouldn't suggest drivng your car like that in any kind of weather. There is really no need to do this. Why do you think these are called AUTOMATICS! The computer gets info from sensors to tell it what is the correct gear to have the trans in as you're driving. It's also a good way to cause you to LOOSE CONTROL of your car on SLIPPERY surfaces and have an accident.

Yury
01-10-2009, 01:45 PM
I wouldn't suggest drivng your car like that in any kind of weather. There is really no need to do this. Why do you think these are called AUTOMATICS! The computer gets info from sensors to tell it what is the correct gear to have the trans in as you're driving. It's also a good way to cause you to LOOSE CONTROL of your car on SLIPPERY surfaces and have an accident.

Note that when I said "the way to do it" I meant that on Malibus of that generation manual mode (L) is a substitute for positions 1, 2, etc on other cars. So whenever you need that you'd shift to that mode and use the shifter buttons. Why and when one needs to do that is a totally different subject. Let me just say that there are times when managing you gears yourself is beneficial, otherwise engineers would not insist on adding any modes other than P R N and D in about every auto tranny ever made.

triplex-08
01-10-2009, 08:54 PM
remove the shifter bezel, you will find that the wires for the manual shift button are broken. i have fixed several for the same issue, when you go into L, it displays 3rd gear at all times, doesnt matter what you press.

anyways, there are 2 wires, small diameter, cant remember the colors, and they run to the shift knob for the button, and they rub on the shifter internal to the console, and then the wires break. not sure if this is what you are experiencing or not.

Flemith
01-10-2009, 09:23 PM
remove the shifter bezel, you will find that the wires for the manual shift button are broken. i have fixed several for the same issue, when you go into L, it displays 3rd gear at all times, doesnt matter what you press.

anyways, there are 2 wires, small diameter, cant remember the colors, and they run to the shift knob for the button, and they rub on the shifter internal to the console, and then the wires break. not sure if this is what you are experiencing or not.

What you described is what happens, but only sometimes. Other times, it works fine.
I'm not sure if i should try an fix it myself or just take it to the dealer...

pigwing76
01-11-2009, 06:44 PM

This seems to be the exact problem I am having with my '05 Malibu LS. Can you give me any pointers as to how to remove the shifter bezel? Does it just pop off? Thanks. I'm looking forward to fixing my non-functioning manual shift mode.

To the OP. My Malibu would occassionally not work in manual mode but it was very infrequent when it wouldn't work. Then, a few months ago it stopped working completely. I'm hoping this is my solution:)

triplex-08
01-11-2009, 07:53 PM
may have a wire issue, not completely broken, but enough at times, to create a problem, if its intermittent, probably has a wire rubbing or rubbed through, and once in a while it will work ok. easy fix if you can access it. just need to open up the center console, around the shifter bezel, then you can get in there ok. the wire harness im talking about is small, very small wires, only like 2 i believe. you will find that they have rubbed through on the transmission shifter frame, all you have to do is repair the wires. just cut them and resolder them or use some butt connectors. if you can fix it, then you will save yourself a trip to the dealer, and probably 100-150 dollars. because i can tell you they will get an hour diagnosis, then price for wire repairs. and they will probably get an hour for it. even though it takes 10 minutes to fix.

just take a peek at it, if you cant find anything obvious, then take it to the dealer.

b3y0ndd34th
08-30-2012, 05:57 AM
I had this issue too when I purchased my car a few weeks ago. My 2005 Malibu Maxx LT, I LOVE IT, would not shift when I put it in manual mode, would only read L3. Thanks to your site, it was only a ~30 min fix.

I took the center console off, there were two screws under the cup holder, two on the left, and right; there was a hex screw on the front of the driver and passenger side right behind the removable panels; there was also a 10 mm hex bolt on the driver and passenger side.

I had to shift the car into the L, with the parking brake on of course, and holding the brakes, I lifted the rear of the console up and pulled the rest of the console off, and returned the shifter to the park position.

My Malibu has the hard plastic boot around the shifter, a good tug downward released the clip. There was a hex screw behind the plastic boot on the back of the shifter, it is the same size as the hex screws on the console. Now the shifter head can be removed from the rest of the shifter assembly. The Chrome Surround with P R N D L is fixed to the frame that houses the shift and need not be removed.

The wires are Pink and Yellow, carefully feed the wires back around the clips that hold it in place. I could easily see where my wire was cut, I added a few extra inches and removed a lot of the tension on the wires. As stated above, Soldering the wires together gives the best and permanent connection, for quick and easy, use butt connectors. There is a quick disconnect that runs for the switch if you follow the wires to the main connector for all of the Transmission wires, you will see the white easy disconnect, so you can remove the wires and repair them else where.

Reverse all removal steps to put your car back together.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING THE COMMUNITY!

Sorry but I didn't take pictures, perhaps the next fella that does this can be so kind as to remember to take some quick pics!

This can be used for a reference, it will give you an idea of where the panels and what not are located, however the bolts and holes are not the same for my 05 Malibu Maxx LT, so BE WARNED http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6247

DrivenDaily
08-30-2012, 06:07 AM
It's nice to see that even a 3-year-old thread can help someone out! Thanks for your informative post as well. That's what helps make this site a great resource.