Changing the drive belt tensioner on 2000 3.1... [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: Changing the drive belt tensioner on 2000 3.1...

smokey80015
01-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Does the belt need to be completely removed to change the tensioner? Removing the belt requires disconneting a motor mount and slightly lifting the engine.
I was hoping that it would be a simple matter of releasing the tension, unbolting the tensioner, replacing it, etc. etc.

Any help appreciated.

nighthawk-24
01-31-2009, 11:21 AM
This forum does not really cover these issues because it is for the new Chevy Malibu, but I might be able to help. What motor is it? If it is a 3.1 liter then I believe you are stuck with the information you previously posted. That goes the same for a 3.4 liter. If it is a 3.3 liter then you have to remove the belt first, but there is no motor mount in the way. You might be able to disconnect the belt and hang it over the motor mount so its out of the way untill you are done with the tensioner.

Malibu Glow
02-01-2009, 07:26 AM
To REPLACE the belt you have to disconnect the motor mount on the passenger side of the car and lift the engine with a jack and piece of wood placed carefully on the oil pan. Mine is a 2000 with the 3.1 and I've replaced the belt on mine having to do this just to remove the belt. This goes for all N-body cars with the 3.1 and 3.4 V6.

As far as replacing the tensioner you should just be able to take the tension off the belt and slip it off the pulleys so you can access getting to the tensioner to remove the bolts holding it. Then just reverse of removal for both parts

green03malibu
02-09-2009, 09:14 PM
ugh i hated changing my belt. yes, as glow said, the passenger side mount has to be removed and jacked. its a pain, but good luck with everything.