HELP! Ignition Switch Connector wiring [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: HELP! Ignition Switch Connector wiring

beingguided
06-25-2013, 06:40 PM
So my idiot brother got to messing around with my car (2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4cy New Body Style). He said the car looked like it had previously been stolen and all the wires were mashed up behind the ignition. He undid the wires from the Ignition Switch Connector and then cowardly didn't tell us he broke the connector and then just abandoned my car in the driveway. I bought a new connector but now we don't know how to wire it back up. We just had a mechanic here that was afraid of wiring it and burning out the car.

HELP! What do we do?

Rodents
06-25-2013, 08:39 PM
Okay, let's make sure we're on the same page here first. New body style, the '04 to '08 classic, gen 6 body, right? Ignition switch connector, 6 cavities? Wire colors are red with a white tracer, pink, brown, white and white with a black tracer, 6th cavity is empty. You got the connector where and is it the bare plastic connector or a service pigtail with wires? Not the end of the world, just stick with me a bit.

beingguided
06-26-2013, 09:19 AM
This is the ignition switch I had to buy off amazon because not one parts store in Austin had it instock or in the warehouse. I got the part number from OReillys (the only store with any info, but they couldn't order it since the warehouse had none). When we received it, all cables are white coming off the connector.
Any help would be so greatly appreciated. I spent hours on google yesterday and this forum trying to find the answer to wiring the connector and I found nothing.
Yes the car is a 2004 Sixth Gen New Body Style 4 cyclinder Base Model.

Rodents
06-26-2013, 11:27 AM
Oh, great, you're set to go. I'll get you a connector end view and as long as you follow that pin layout correctly, you're set to go. All the service pigtails come with white wire, that's normal. Those butt connectors that came with it are great. Make sure the crimps you make are snug so there are no intermittent connections.

Those butt connectors are heat shrink around the actual metal piece. Depending on what you use to crimp those connectors, the proper tool doesn't harm them, but I don't know what you have a your disposal, wrap them with a bit of electrical tape where you crimped them so, if there is any exposed sections of the connector, it doesn't short to anything. I'll PM you the info you need in the next day or two at the most.

beingguided
06-26-2013, 08:58 PM
We got the new connector all hooked up thanks to Rodents help with the wiring diagram. We reconnected the battery and tried to start the car. Nothing. No power to the cluster, no accessories work, no start. However, the ignition does pick up that the key is in place because the indicator sound when you open the door with the key still in the ignition sounded and went off when I removed the key.

We checked and quadruple checked the wiring. All the wires are going to the right pins.

What are we missing?

DrivenDaily
06-26-2013, 09:09 PM
Note: Post 5 was merged into this thread from a brand new one that you started. No need to start new threads about the same issue on the same car.

beingguided
06-26-2013, 09:40 PM
OK thanks, I just thought since it moved from being a DIY to a Problem diagnosis that my new question would need to be over in Problems, not DIY. Sorry...