How to kill OnStar [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: How to kill OnStar

kamilavalamp
07-18-2013, 01:39 PM
I need simple step by step how-to instructions on how to completely disable everything onstar in my car. Please help it's a 2006 malibu ltz and I HATE ONSTAR!!!! Thanks in advance.
P.S. If it matters the dealership upgraded everything so it's like the 2007 model.

I read a thread on here about it for newer models and it didn't make any sense to me. I don't want to just remove a fuse, I WANT THE WHOLE ONSTAR UNIT DEAD!!!!!! DEAD!!! DEAD!!! DEAD!!! DEAD!!! DEAD!!!

ToMang07
07-18-2013, 02:36 PM
So....uh....

How's the chop-shop business?

DrivenDaily
07-18-2013, 03:26 PM
Uh, yeah . . .

I deleted your other thread - it just wasn't needed.

I merged your two posts on here into one - they were less than 20 minutes apart and no other posts were between them.

Help us keep this forum clean and orderly, please . . .

Czechman
07-19-2013, 04:20 AM
Just out of curiosity... what's your beef with OnStar?

nutcrunch
07-19-2013, 04:25 AM
There is a pretty common tool out there to help you kill OnStar...

http://i.imgur.com/yOaMFQc.jpg

kamilavalamp
07-19-2013, 01:17 PM
I Hate them for harassing me about renewing my "service", I Hate how even after you cancel their "service" their little black box keeps recording your location and driving habits, I hate how if you become a "disruptive influence" they made it possible for your car to be killed just by flipping a switch. I hate how their call center is outsourced to somewhere where no-one knows how to speak English except when reading from a script, I hate how they make millions by selling the information they take, and I Hate how they made it possible for your car to record your conversations when your not even on the phone. I Hate how they made it possible for cars to have bugs factory installed, And I Hate how they made it standard for most gm "cars" to come equipped with surveillance equipment. AND MOST OF ALL I HATE HOW THEY ADVERTISE IT AS A GOOD THING!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes me wish for the good old days when the g-men had to bug your car themselves without the car companies doing it FOR THEM. IN FACT I THINK ONSTAR WAS A CIA-NSA-HOMELAND SECURITY FRONT FROM THE START!!!!!!!!! I WANT THE DAMN THING RIPPED OUT OF MY CAR BEFORE THE DEATH-SQUADS ASK IT WHERE TO FIND ME!!!

Rodents
07-19-2013, 01:34 PM
Dude, step back, take a few deep breaths. If OnStar bothers you that much, I don't want to try to imagine how the rest of life affects you. Life's too short to be that angry.

DrivenDaily
07-19-2013, 04:51 PM
2 Choices as I see it:

1. Remove the fuse and let the On* backup battery die, then On* should be dead dead dead.
2. Buy a car without it in the first place.

It's almost the same as buying a V8 car, then pulling the plugs on 2 cylinders because you want a V6 instead. Coulda bought a V6 to start with.

But yeah, what he said - take a breath, dude!

kamilavalamp
07-19-2013, 05:14 PM
thank you kindly. I didn't buy it I inherited the car. Where's the fuse located on my model? Also if onstar has it's own fuse and battery it must have it's own box as well, I would like to disconnect the box for good measure. Does anyone know the location of the box?

Bodyslide
07-19-2013, 06:55 PM
Here's a video on it that might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMlhs_-PaHk

Also here's a photo of the onstar module on my 13, it's under the rear deck.

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14889

in the 10 models the module is behind the glove box..

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/attachments/malibu-15/3757d1319765596-2010-chevy-malibu-onstar-module-location-capture-jpg

dc2009
07-20-2013, 04:23 AM
A couple of questions about you reasons for wanting the system removed from you car

1. How is removing the system from the vehicle going to stop the phone calls and mail from Onstar?

2. If you are that concerned about the government spying on you, why are you on the internet?

Czechman
07-20-2013, 04:26 AM
2. If you are that concerned about the government spying on you, why are you on the internet?

good one! :D

nutcrunch
07-20-2013, 05:32 AM
If you are unable to disable OnStar then you can always get one of these...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f3/Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

Rodents
07-20-2013, 07:55 AM
The fuse is in the BCM fuse block, right side of center console, toward the front there's pull out door, fuse is marked ONSTAR. If that doesn't satisfy you, the module is on the far right side of the I/P, you access it from the passengers footwell, three 10mm bolts hold it in. I don't think your OnStar system has a backup battery. The ones that do have one, it is a one time use battery, once discharged, it is not rechargeable. You are one hateful dude, my best wishes you cheer up someday. Life's too short to be so angry and hateful.

RalphP
07-20-2013, 08:01 AM
I Hate them for harassing me about renewing my "service", I Hate how even after you cancel their "service" their little black box keeps recording your location and driving habits, I hate how if you become a "disruptive influence" they made it possible for your car to be killed just by flipping a switch. I hate how their call center is outsourced to somewhere where no-one knows how to speak English except when reading from a script, I hate how they make millions by selling the information they take, and I Hate how they made it possible for your car to record your conversations when your not even on the phone. I Hate how they made it possible for cars to have bugs factory installed, And I Hate how they made it standard for most gm "cars" to come equipped with surveillance equipment. AND MOST OF ALL I HATE HOW THEY ADVERTISE IT AS A GOOD THING!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes me wish for the good old days when the g-men had to bug your car themselves without the car companies doing it FOR THEM. IN FACT I THINK ONSTAR WAS A CIA-NSA-HOMELAND SECURITY FRONT FROM THE START!!!!!!!!! I WANT THE DAMN THING RIPPED OUT OF MY CAR BEFORE THE DEATH-SQUADS ASK IT WHERE TO FIND ME!!!

Glad to see you don't have a cell phone, and are never on the Internet.

Oh, wait ...

RwP

gmitch2LT
07-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Rodents, I am in tears over here laughing at you.

kamilavalamp
07-20-2013, 06:07 PM
I just read the onstar module replacement procedure in the gm service database. The removal process is as follows:

1.) Remove the right closeout panel.
2.) Release the Glove Box opening stop tabs to allow glove box to rotate fully open for access to fasteners.
3.) Disconnect the communication interface module wire harness and antenna connectors.
4.) Remove the communication interface module bolts.
5.) Remove the communication interface module.

Attached are the pictures from the gm database and if anyone else wants to remove their onstar module from their gm vehicle just ask me how in a reply (I can look up the process for all gm vehicles up to year 2009) but I take no responsibility for anything that happens to anything anytime for any reason period. (Just lawyer repellant in case someone screws up)
DOWN WITH ONSTAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rodents
07-21-2013, 09:04 AM
Rodents, I am in tears over here laughing at you.

Sorry, I see nothing funny about a person like this, this looks more like a loose cannon to me. I'm kind of concerned about how you can find humor in this, but you're free to laugh if that's what you think is the right thing.

gmitch2LT
07-21-2013, 09:27 AM
Ah, he's harmless. (Hopefully) but I don't buy his reasoning 100%. If he were that mad, by now he'd expressed it fully to the onstar rep that kept calling who'd in turn mark his account as do not solicit or something.

kamilavalamp
07-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Ok I have learned that completely disconnecting the Onstar module makes the check engine light go on and the accelerator not work. Also the odometer displays "error" so apparently the onstar module feeds the odometer it's readings and needs power through it before it gets to the engine. It looks like I need to either bypass certain connections on the module circuit board or try just disconnecting the antenna.

nutcrunch
07-21-2013, 11:13 AM
I still think a tinfoil hat would be quicker and less chance of messing up your car.

SeaRay245se
07-21-2013, 11:16 AM
Maybe a tin foil hat for his on star unit would work.

kamilavalamp
07-21-2013, 06:32 PM
I finally managed to completely remove the Onstar module from the car and it starts and works just fine. It just took a little more doing. Now I have to find a way to BYPASS THE EDR MODULE!!!! AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

nutcrunch
07-22-2013, 03:38 AM
Now you can drive down to the drugstore and pick up your meds without GM knowing about it...