6 speed transmission fluid change, When? [Archive] - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

: 6 speed transmission fluid change, When?

Red Ryder
05-30-2009, 01:41 AM
I've looked in the owners manual for the service interval for the 6 speed transmission fluid change, but can't seem to find it. I'm far from 30,000 - 50,000 miles that most tranys would need this. Does anyone know when it is.

Malibu Glow
05-30-2009, 08:47 AM
GM usually recommends transmission fluid change at 50,000 miles, check with the dealer on this to be sure since you're not finding the information in the owners manual, which is weird.

bballr4567
05-30-2009, 11:30 AM
You wont find it in the manual because its a "lifetime" fluid.

However, just get it done around 50k miles and thats it.

Macleod52
05-30-2009, 12:16 PM
You wont find it in the manual because its a "lifetime" fluid.

However, just get it done around 50k miles and thats it.

I will personally get the fluid changed at 30-50,000 miles.

Red Ryder
05-30-2009, 04:20 PM
All due respect BBallr, but nothing is "lifetime". Just like with engine oil, trany fluid has a service life and will break down with use. Since i do my own oil changes when required and document everything to the "t" to keep my 5/100 warranty in "no questions asked mode", I also want to keep the rest of the power train there too. I did find in the owners manual on page 6-6 "Additional Required Services"

* Change automatic transmission fluid (severe service only). Change filter (except 6-speed). See footnote (h).

* (h) Change automatic transmission fluid and filter
(except 6-speed) if the vehicle is mainly driven under
one or more of these conditions:

− In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature
regularly reaches 90°F (32°C) or higher.
− In hilly or mountainous terrain.
− When doing frequent trailer towing.
− Uses such as found in taxi, police, or delivery
service.

Don't you think this is a little open ended?

Doesn't performed and documented service to the power train reflect an "under warranty covered repair" if it becomes necessary?

bballr4567
05-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Ryder, notice the " marks around the lifetime?? Its because GM says its lifetime fluid and will be fine. I would never let ANY fluid go that long.

Also, notice in what you posted. It says except 6 speed. That is for the 4 speed transmission.

86lxjunker
05-31-2009, 05:19 AM
Ok - so what kind of tranny fluid is in our 6sp's that GM is thinking that its a lifetime fluid.

I - just like Red - am very anal when it comes to fluid changes on all my vehicles.

I didnt even think about the trans yet as my 'bu only has 2k miles so far - but not changing the fluid in a 6sp GM trans kinda scares me...:eek:

So what gives....I guess I need to take a look at the trans and see how it is set up. From the post above - it even looks like the trans doesnt have a filter either ?

Macleod52
05-31-2009, 08:39 AM
Seriously, why are you guys worrying about this? Who cares if GM says it's lifetime or not. Get the fluid changed when you feel comfortable and everything will be fine. Lifetime is for the idiots who don't do any maintenance on their vehicles. Can it last the lifetime of said person owning vehicle? Probably, but why take the chance. Change the fluid between 30-50k and you'll be fine.

Red Ryder
06-01-2009, 03:31 AM
I seemed to miss where it explicitly says "No maintenance required" and "lifetime fluid, no need to replace it if you are the first owner". Like I said, it seems to open ended and doesn't feel right. Will try to ask someone at my dealership after all this Bankruptcy is over and hope and pray their not on the dealership closing list.

green03malibu
06-01-2009, 10:06 AM
it gets changed at 100,000 miles and it has dexron 6 fluid and that's what my dealer told me

Red Ryder
06-01-2009, 11:14 AM
Thanks green, but i would still like to see it in writing from GM.

bballr4567
06-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Decron VI is apparently two times as durable as Dexron III. Its GMs newest transmission fluid.

FOR RELEASE: 2005-04-01

CONTACTS

GM Introduces New Automatic Transmission Fluid For 2006 Cars and Trucks

* New factory-fill fluid standard in all 2006 MY Hydra-Matic transmissions
* Significantly improved viscosity, shift performance and fluid durability
* Available through GM Vehicle Care products as DEXRON®-VI
* Approved for service application on all prior model year Hydra-Matic automatic transmissions

Pontiac, Mich. - GM, in conjunction with Petro-Canada and Afton Chemical Corporation, have developed a new, improved automatic transmission fluid for all 2006 model year Hydra-Matic automatic transmissions.

Developed for factory-fill as RDL-3434 and registered for service fill as DEXRON®-VI, the new fluid represents a significant improvement in automatic transmission fluids and is the direct result of GM's industry leadership in the development and production of automatic transmissions.

"For 65 years, GM has led in the design, development and production of automatic transmissions," says Tom Stephens, group vice president for GM Powertrain.

"This knowledge and experience has helped us work directly with the petroleum industry to develop a new fluid that will further accentuate the performance and reliability of GM's Hydra-Matic transmissions."

Automatic transmission fluid (ATF) is considered the life-blood of the automatic transmission.

It is used to transfer power in the torque converter and provide the pressure to apply the transmission's various clutches and bands.

It also is used to clean, lubricate and cool the components of the transmission. GM's new transmission fluid, DEXRON®-VI, was developed to have a more consistent viscosity profile; a more consistent shift performance in extreme conditions; and less degradation over time.

Beginning with the design and development of GM's new Hydra-Matic 6-speed rear-wheel-drive transmissions, GM Powertrain engineers determined the need for a new transmission fluid to withstand the complexity of the clutch-to-clutch transmission operation.

Additionally, GM engineers identified opportunities to improve viscosity, durability, and impact on fuel economy with a new fluid.

"The development of DEXRON®-VI is the first time an automotive company has worked so closely with petroleum and additive companies to develop a new fluid," says Roy Fewkes, driveline fluids group leader, GM Powertrain.

"The result is a new fluid that significantly outperforms existing fluids in every aspect. In fact, we have had to significantly extend the length of our durability tests to fully test the fluid's capability."

Internal GM tests have demonstrated DEXRON®-VI to deliver more than twice the durability and stability in friction tests compared to existing fluids.

It also has demonstrated superior performance in pitting, foaming, oxidation and shear stability tests.

GM will begin factory-fill of the new transmission fluid on April 4, starting with the new Hydra-Matic 6L80, produced at the Willow Run transmission facility in Ypsilanti, Mich.

DEXRON®-VI will be available through genuine GM Vehicle Care products at GM authorized dealerships and service centers in Summer 2005. -

http://media.gm.com/servlet/GatewayServlet?target=http://image.emerald.gm.com/gmnews/viewmonthlyreleasedetail.do?domain=39&docid=13541

If they use the Dex VI in the heavy duty transmissions without requiring a change, I can only imagine what its like in our little cars.

green03malibu
06-02-2009, 07:35 PM
now in my owners manual, it states that you dont have to have the transmission fluid changed (and this is every fifty thousand miles) unless you live in a city, live in a hilly/mountain area, and/or use the vehicle for taxi, police...

i live in maryland on the eastern shore, 90,xxx miles, never had it changed and its still red, no leaks, still shifts smoothly.

Malibu Glow
06-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Think you better ask a service technician, it is recommended to change fluid and filter at 50,000 miles.

bballr4567
06-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Think you better ask a service technician, it is recommended to change fluid and filter at 50,000 miles.

Yes. However that is ONLY recommended with the 4 speed transmission. The 6 speed is a lifetime fill if you as ANY technician.

I still wouldnt go farther than 50k miles on the tranny fluid regardless of what the manufacture says.

luckycat
06-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Me too I'll probably get mine changed at 50K. I wish I could do it myself but seems like it is not so easy with this tranny this this DIYer.

Gibbles
08-14-2009, 05:50 PM
I'm in the same boat, but I have an 07 Aura with the 3.5.
My big issue is I cannot figure out where to fill/check fluid.

I was told it has the "lifetime" fluid, but I don't buy that, I want the fluid changed by atleast 60k and I plan on doing it my self.

ElantraMax
08-16-2009, 05:28 PM
On my 08 LT1 4 Cylinder. 4 Spd. There is no dipstick. Now this is going to sound stupid.

How do you check the fluid level?

I am going to change my Fluid and Filter at 30k.

Thanks

bballr4567
08-26-2009, 09:30 AM
There is NO dipstick. The only way to check the fluid is to pull the check plug which is just a bolt in the side of the transmission.

cavalier2000
08-26-2009, 09:53 AM
my cavalier was the same way....200k and never had an issue with it...though i don't personally recommend it

08LTZ
08-26-2009, 07:06 PM
I asked last time I was at the dealership and was told they recommend every 50,000 miles and it was around $150.00. I figure $150.00 every 50k miles is money well spent even if it's only "peace on mind".

Our 08 LTZ goes in next month for the service I'll keep you guys updated.

BackStreet
08-27-2009, 01:25 PM
My Catera also has a "sealed transmission". I had the fluid changed to synthetic at 70k and it shifts smoother then ever.

The trans on the Catera also did not have a drain plug so it made a huge mess when they dropped the pan. The mechanic said the fluid looked like crap. GM did make a gasket and a filter for it so it can be serviced.

mcr1010
09-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Has anyone been able to find a manual for the 08 Malibu? I have been told that none have been published yet; Childons, Haynes etc. Anyone know where I can get a little more detailed instr. on changing the trans fluid until a manual is available?
TIA

douglas92000
09-17-2009, 03:42 AM
Has anyone been able to find a manual for the 08 Malibu? I have been told that none have been published yet; Childons, Haynes etc. Anyone know where I can get a little more detailed instr. on changing the trans fluid until a manual is available?
TIA

This should help:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/search_service_owner.asp?Style=&class%5F2=CHV&mscsid=782BNW5K49VG8H1XHMCLJ3ULR4XE0T89

dieselinspec
06-01-2013, 06:32 AM
Let me add my two sense since my 2009 transmission is being replace at 113,000 miles. They contributed it to high mileage (laughable) and POSSIBLY dirty fluid, which I am not buying so get it replaced every 25,000 - 30,000 miles. Chevy doesn't have any 6 speed transmissions (call if you don't believe that) so take care or yours. It is costing me $2700.00 for a used one, so again take care of this very unique transmission.

malibu_2010
06-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Drain and refill is very easy on this 6spd and only costs ~$30 for a DIY. My BU is close to 70K now and I have done it 2 times so far. I'll be doing the 3rd time @ 75K.

cdobis
09-03-2013, 11:55 AM
I have 26500 miles on my 2011 and my tranny (6 Spd) doesn't want to go on cool mornings. What I mean is, it doesn't want to shift. It is a delayed shifting and stays that way until everything warms up. Is that a fluid problem or a module problem? Should I take it in to the dealer? :D
Thanks!

Rodents
09-03-2013, 09:21 PM
The first 3-4 shift seems delayed? That's normal, every one I've driven does that, 6T70 trans though. The 6T40, that's a delayed transmission no matter what. 6 cylinder has the 6T70, 4 cylinder has the 6T40. Fluid level okay? No check engine light?

fuels
09-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Drain and refill is very easy on this 6spd and only costs ~$30 for a DIY. My BU is close to 70K now and I have done it 2 times so far. I'll be doing the 3rd time @ 75K.

Hey since you had done it a couple of time already how much fluid did you use on the drain and fill? I look in the manual but it shows two amounts 5.3 or 6.3 How can I tell which transmission I have?

Thanks

Rodents
09-08-2013, 07:04 PM
4 cylinder has the 6T40 and V6 has the 6T70. SI lists 4.2 to 6.3 quarts for a drain and fill. Fluid level has to be checked at 180 to 200 degrees on the 6T70 and 185 to 203 degrees on the 6T40.

fuels
09-15-2013, 04:59 PM
Hey all I just did my transmission fluid change on the 2011, It was so easy with a drain plug. Lucky I did change it out because it was so dark brown in color. It took 4.3qts, since it was so easy I recommend changing it out every so often. I have under 40k. I don't under stand why people are holding out 100k for a service. Do the math $35 for the fluid, or $2000 for rebuilt service.

Now I wish the 06 Malibu was that easy.

fuels
09-16-2013, 07:01 PM
4 cylinder has the 6T40 and V6 has the 6T70. SI lists 4.2 to 6.3 quarts for a drain and fill. Fluid level has to be checked at 180 to 200 degrees on the 6T70 and 185 to 203 degrees on the 6T40.

Hey Rodents have a another question about the type of transmission, you list the 4cyl as a 6T40, but in the manual it shows this? It list X23F, is that another code type for the 4 cyl?

Transmission Fluid*
6 — Speed Automatic Transmission
(RPO X23F) — (Drain and Refill)
5.0 L 5.3 qt

6 — Speed Automatic Transmission
(RPO 6T70) — (Drain and Refill)
6.0 L 6.3 qt

Rodents
09-18-2013, 11:04 AM
2011 Malibu, right? 6T40 and 6T70 is all there is. What manual did you see this in?

fuels
09-18-2013, 05:02 PM
2011 Malibu, right? 6T40 and 6T70 is all there is. What manual did you see this in?

My owners manual in the glove box on page 12-4 that what it shows as for that info.

Rodents
09-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Yeah, it's like that in the online version too. Don't know what to tell you. To me it's identified as a 6T40 in service information.

Rodents
09-19-2013, 06:14 PM
Okay, I took a few minutes tonight and tried to figure out what X23F is, or what it means. If I go back to '09 Malibu, the RPO code MH8 trans is called out as an X23F in the Service Information RPO code list. If I go to '10 through '12 Malibu it's grouped as 6T30/6T40/6T45/6T50. I believe it is a 6T40 and there is an X23FHD which I believe is a 6T45 transmission. If you search 'X23F transmission' there are mostly references to the 6T40 and lots of the pages I looked at made no mention of an X23F. The 6T40 is also referred to as a GF6 as well, I never heard of that at all until tonight.

There is/was also an X22/X22F which I think comes back to an RPO MH6 and MY9 transmission. A 6T75 I believe.

One thing I did find out about are the differences between a 6T40 and a 6T45. The output chain is 1" wide on a 6T40 and 1.25" wide on a 6T45. The input gear set has 4 pinions on a 6T40 and 5 pinions on a 6T45. The 6T45 case is slightly larger and has heavier ribs for increased strength.

These are Hydramatic transmissions. Most of the Hydramatic transmissions are currently identified by the number of forward gears (6), longitudinal (L) or transverse mounted (T) and the relative torque capacity as a two digit number (40) or (70). So you end up with a 6T40 or a 6T70 transmission. I've seen relative torque capacity listed as low as 30 and as high as 90. 4T45-E is a 4 speed, transverse mounted transmission with a relative torque capacity of 45 and is electronically controlled which accounts for the E. The E is now gone as far as I know since all of our current transmissions are electronically controlled. The Aisin transmissions are identified differently, as are most of our current manual transmissions. There was a Getrag manual trans back 10 years ago or so that was an F23 for an identification.

Hope that cleared up some questions.

fuels
09-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Well thank you for doing your homework on that. I guess Chevy hasn't updated the manual. They must of left the old info as is.

rreilly
10-04-2013, 09:01 AM
i"m about to change the fluid in my 08' 4cyl, and have a question. Does the engine need to be running to check fluid level? i"m gathering that you dont need to, but I did read on a blog that you should pull the check plug while running or you will loose a lot of fluid. I know all dip stick transmissions need to be running. I haven't done a check plug tranny yet. Thanks guys.

DrivenDaily
10-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Search the forums a little. Rodents is a Certified ASE and GM Tech and has posted a number of times how to check the fluid.

Rodents
10-05-2013, 06:04 PM
i"m about to change the fluid in my 08' 4cyl, and have a question. Does the engine need to be running to check fluid level? i"m gathering that you dont need to, but I did read on a blog that you should pull the check plug while running or you will loose a lot of fluid. I know all dip stick transmissions need to be running. I haven't done a check plug tranny yet. Thanks guys.

Yes, it must be running or you'll lose a lot of fluid. Trans fluid temp is critical on the 6 speeds for an accurate reading of the level. 185 to 203 degrees which is not easy to maintain sometimes. The 4 speeds are easier, must be above 104 degrees.

BJackson
11-19-2013, 07:41 PM
Twin Transmission in Indian Trail NC is an expert on the 6t70 transmission. Even if you aren't local to their area, you should read through their blog. They have a lot of tips on there about fluid changes, tranny problems, repair solutions and more.

balkey
01-09-2014, 09:05 AM
I have a 2009 2.4L, 6spd with 82,000 miles (original fluid)

Tranny shifts fine when giving consistent gas BUT when in traffic or starting from a stop it is pretty jerky (which has always been the case but has gotten worse over time)

I'm planning to change the fluid this spring, but i DON'T want to make it worse....... what would you guys recommend?